• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Set up your truck for TEOTWAWKI, SHTF, emergencies, etc

High Five H2

So, I was looking for guides to setting up a truck to be "tactical" and this was the best that I found:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFGUUnJPmR0

So that video is a joke, basically, but if you wanted to be prepared for emergencies, anything from getting stuck in the mountains during a snowstorm to a no-government hurricane Katrina type situation, how would you do it?

right now, my H3 is totally unmodified, but I do keep some emergency supplies in the back. A first aid kit, a folding shovel, some food, a duraflame log, and a methanol stove made from a aluminum can, a blanket, stuff like that. I'd like to add a good bumper. I like the predator search a rescue one because it sticks out in front a bit and maybe that could be used for ramming or something like that.
I'm also thinking:
basic tools, tire repair kit, off road lights, rifle rack, flux capacitor, etc.

What else would you have?

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Couple of threads similar to this one. Spares, tools, extra clothes, fuel, normal Go Bag items, water, small tent, emergency sleeping bag.............

SuperBuickGuy

I do Search and Rescue. I'm fairly confident that should problems arise; I'll be fine. That said, I doubt I'd drive my H3 in a major crisis because my 83 Chev diesel 4x4 is so much better equipped - and more importantly, has enough fuel on-board to travel 700 miles before I need to refuel... and it can haul my camper... and it has a 3500 watt inverter.... yadda yadda.

Oh yeah, and I do travel armed, cause I like driving rather than walking.

icentropy

I built my last hummer specifically to be a BOV. The largest challenge was range. My BOL was 1200+ miles away. I wanted to be able to load up in southern CA and not stop till i hit northern WA. The the time i finished, i ended up moving to my BOL and no longer needed the BOV :D

My conversion went from this
h1.jpg

to this
IMG_20110716_154020.jpg

To finally this right before the move.
2012-06-11_06-47-55_308.jpg

During that time i went through a lot of different options dealing with fuel. The best i settled on was multiple Scepter tanks. I had 20 tanks filled and ready to load in the truck/trailer at a moments notice. That plus my two tanks (40g) on the truck was plenty to get me to the BOL without stopping to try to find fuel.

My truck was designed for my specific situation with a very far away BOL. What's your situation? what do you want your truck to do for you when SHTF? Just get you home? get you out of the city? will you bunker down until you see you need to leave then leave or will you leave at the first sign of trouble? Living in a heavily populated area IMO the only option is to be prepared to leave FAST, really really FAST. or no matter how setup your rig is, you'll get stuck in traffic, deal with thugs, road blocks, etc. you need to get out before most folks sense the danger. the best way to equip your truck for a BO situation is to equip your family and house to leave at a moments notice. Second best is carry lots of fuel.

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
First thought, might want to either move your BOL a little closer or move to within 150 miles of your BOL. By the time you get there, if you even get there because of all the populated areas you will need to pass through, you might find that someone else a little closer than you has already squatted at your BOL.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapataint

chad

I would say a very very important thing o have in your truck is a winch! And a trailer hitch. So if you find a good trailer at some pointyou can take it for more supplies. and a winch so if you get stuck making a bypass you need to be able to always be self reliant. Fuel, water, food, ammo and lots of ammo. Maps and compass because GPS and major roads may not work. Go lights are great as they are remote control and you can look at things just not in front of you. Cb radio is nice. Can listen to other people or find help or avoid bad places that may be ahead of you.