• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

OBDII Code Scanners

08H3

I'm tired of either fiddling around with parts trying to figure out problems on my own or running to the parts store to borrow their scanner. I'm looking at these 3. Thoughts? Opinions? Advice?

Innova 3160B: http://www.equus.com/Product/3160/ABS_CanOBD2-Scan-Tool

Nice tool. The one I borrow is an Innova and it works great. Around $200 shipped.

Innova Pro 31703: http://www.pro.innova.com/Product/FullDetail/aa00a079-1a92-43e6-81f9-56689f996baa

As far as I can tell, functionally it's the same as the "consumer grade"3160B. It is faster (I don't care), and more durable for shop use (probably not a bad trait). It also has OBDI support. Although I can use a paper clip, it would be nice to use a scanner. It's about $340 delivered.

Harbor Freight 60794: http://www.harborfreight.com/can-obd-ii-scan-tool-with-abs-60794.html

As much as I hate it, I've had pretty good luck with Harbor Freight stuff. This appears to have the same features as the Innovas without the price.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Torque (the Android app) doesn't get the deepest codes, from what I can tell. I've had codes come up on professional devices that I could not pull up on my phone.

08H3

I use Scangauge II. As well as OBD it does your regular gauges, fuel economy, etc. I even programmed it to read transmission temp.

Scangauge is good for what it does. I have one myself, but it can't pull the body and chassis codes. That's one reason I really need to get a scanner. I also have more than one vehicle, so moving the SG around can be kind of cumbersome.

Steve #1

I use Scan XL from http://www.palmerperformance.com/ . I'd say get a WiFi or Bluetooth reader and a smartphone app and see if it will get the data you need. If you need more, go the PC route and use a good USB reader. The cheep readers use knockoff ELM327 chips that don't always read all the available codes and are slow if you decide to log a lot of data.

Peep

I just got in my OBD11 reader. Can anyone tell me a good app that I can put on my ipad/iphone

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Harbor Freight all the way!! It will hit my toolbox soon. If you tear an ABS line on the trail your screwed. You will have to repair it on the trail or disconnect the Encoder motor and manually shift it. Knowing how to adjust the t case without an encoder motor is a good thing to know anyways but for simple ABS line tears on the trail it will leave your stranded in the range you are in. Trust me I know!! Happened twice. First time being on a hammer trail. If you can clear the ABS code it will clear long enough to allow it to shift back into 4hi (or thats my hope) I will try this by unplugging the ABS wire acting as if it tore and clear it and see if it will shift. I cant buy the code reader right now due to funds after the SAS but I will be getting the harbor freight one. For 119 bucks when its on sale is much more appealing then $785 tool that will rarely be used. I have a scan gauge to do what I normally need it to do.

08H3

Harbor Freight all the way!! It will hit my toolbox soon. If you tear an ABS line on the trail your screwed. You will have to repair it on the trail or disconnect the Encoder motor and manually shift it. Knowing how to adjust the t case without an encoder motor is a good thing to know anyways but for simple ABS line tears on the trail it will leave your stranded in the range you are in. Trust me I know!! Happened twice. First time being on a hammer trail. If you can clear the ABS code it will clear long enough to allow it to shift back into 4hi (or thats my hope) I will try this by unplugging the ABS wire acting as if it tore and clear it and see if it will shift. I cant buy the code reader right now due to funds after the SAS but I will be getting the harbor freight one. For 119 bucks when its on sale is much more appealing then $785 tool that will rarely be used. I have a scan gauge to do what I normally need it to do.

Have you actually bought the HF reader? If not, DON'T! I bought one before the Innova and took it back. It would only read half my cars, and those intermittently. HF support was absolutely clueless when I called. Maybe you would have better luck, but I certainly didn't.

I had an ABS issue and you CAN change modes. I had a bad wheel bearing eat the sensor and I was stuck in 4-LO. Through trial an error, I found that if you start pressing a mode button rapidly BEFORE you turn the key, it will change modes. You just need to make sure the encoder gets the signal before it gets an ABS signal. It's like "Press F1 for BIOS"....only for Hummers!