• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

6" lift & tires

MessiaH2

Hey gang, thank you for welcoming me into the group. I have been running my 2003 H2 for 9 years stock and am now ready to play and have a bit more fun by lifting it. I have owned and operated many very large lifted trucks with over 10" lift and 44" tires so i have plenty of mud and wrench time in the books. NOT going that crazy on my daily H2, just going bigger.

I have ordered a 6" Fabtec lift kit and AMP Power Steps so far. I am struggling a bit with tires and rims and would like some input. I DO NOT want tires that actually measure over 38" or local laws will bite me and I really Don't need it that big. So looking into 38" x 14.50 x 18".... I would like to stay with 17" rims but the tire selection is beat. So i am willing to go with 18" but NO larger as i do not like the look of a big rim. My IDEAL wishlist tire would be 38.5 x 15.50 x 16 on 10" rims with 4.5 backspacing.

I would go with a 16" rim if i could but am told i would have to "GRIND the calibers a bit to MAKE them fit". This worries me for two reasons: The obvious of grinding something but I am told it will NOT hurt the Caliber's integrity at all.... But from another point i i was told that if i grind it the caliber will be too close to the rim and NOT be able to cool which in turn increases break wear. ANY INPUT???

I would like some input on tire rub from experience if possible. I know i have to have 4.5" backspaced rims but am also thinking of deep dish or offset to push the tire out... If i do that i should clear the inside but will i create another problem somewhere else, like the fenders? ANY INPUT???

My truck is kinda rough/tough looking with black full Gobi rack on top w/tire, ladder and full front guard so i am going with a 80% black rim with Chrome highlights. I like the FAT wide look and do NOT do much City Driving but want an aggressive tire with tread down the side so if anyone has tire info that would be great also.

Thank you in advance for any advice or input. LARRY

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
Welcome, with that set up half of your tire will stick out and bigger rims looks a lot better on LARGE trucks that 16/17" baby rims.
+ this type of questions u need to ask in H2 section

MessiaH2

Welcome, with that set up half of your tire will stick out and bigger rims looks a lot better on LARGE trucks that 16/17" baby rims.
+ this type of questions u need to ask in H2 section

Thanks but where is the H2 section???

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I moved this to the H2 section. It's just a bit further down the page from the "Fresh Meat" section where you posted.

Keep in mind that you may want to regear with 37s or 38s. The H2 guys can provide more specifics.

MessiaH2

Thanks guys, i will go find other thread with the H2 gang :)

Yes i am thinking of doing gears, thanks for heads up. and as far as rims, i am OLD School (old 48) and like the Fat bulgy tire look. I am NOT into the 20" look at all. My Son put 20" on his F350 Diesel with 40's and is already getting rid of them too...LOL

Gunner_45

Super Moderator
Staff member
What is the rule of thumb, wheel diameter should never exceed 1/2 of tire diameter (approximately) for a vehicle that goes off pavement?

Different set of rules for a street only vehicle.

I had 33's on 17's and hated the profile........35's now look a LOT better to me.

BTW: Welcome.

Look forward to the build thread.

LoJac963

No reason a lifted truck should have any larger than 17" rims. I'm old school also and remember running 15" rims on 35's all day long. 20's, 22's serve no purpose other than bling. 99.9% of lifted Fords here in AZ have gigantic wheels.....it looks ridiculous.

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
No reason a lifted truck should have any larger than 17" rims. I'm old school also and remember running 15" rims on 35's all day long. 20's, 22's serve no purpose other than bling. 99.9% of lifted Fords here in AZ have gigantic wheels.....it looks ridiculous.

You right that is OLD school (now it looks ridiculous), NEW and IMPROVED school says 20"+ if you want BIG BRAKE kit and look GOOD.

mudbug

trail blazer
I like my 37s. No tire rub and less wear on parts. I have thought about 38s when it is time to put the old 37s on the H3.

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
I like my 37s. No tire rub and less wear on parts. I have thought about 38s when it is time to put the old 37s on the H3.

I don't agree. I had to replace my idle and pitman arms lately, (37k) on truck, they had too much play.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
You right that is OLD school (now it looks ridiculous), NEW and IMPROVED school says 20"+ if you want BIG BRAKE kit and look GOOD.

Thats not necessarily true. Many people still run 15in rims on 35s and even 37s. It only looks ridiculous to the people who think it is, many think anything bigger then a 17 looks ridiculous. I personally would never run over a 20in rim and would only run a 20in rim on a 40+ tire, I would still hate the look but only do it for the bigger brakes.

LoJac963

Bigger brakes? My god have you seen the calipers on the 2, how much bigger do you need to go? I've had to absolutely smash my brakes a few times and it amazes me how such a huge chunk of steel can stop so quickly. Muscle cars, hot rods, etc....bigger brakes-most definitely. I can see needing to stop quickly going 100mph+ but what's the purpose on an H2?

MessiaH2

Thanks for the opinions guys. I know the stuffed or ballooned tire look is a personal thing just as is all rim and no tire. I prefer more tire but also know there is a performance and ride balance to be made. (as with everything we alter or upgrade) When I see more rim then tire my mind instantly thinks street rides and low riders. I highly doubt i will buy anything over 18's for the look i am trying to get.

I remember having a set of something ridiculously wide like 35x17.5 Mickey Thompson's with tread all the way to the rim on 15x10" rims back in the mid 80's...LOL NOW that was STUFFED and BULGING they were like 5" wider then the 1986 Dodge shortbed with a 4" Rancho Soft ride, NO fender flares!

When I first started building 4x4 trucks in early 80's the largest tire made was a 33x12.5 monster...LOL I am east coast and over the years we dealt with California companies asking for bigger lifts and tires all the time (NO EMAILS) LOL We built a Chevy Step-side and bought the first 44" Ground Hawgs ever built which was getting serious. haha we made the lift kit and rims for them and believe me, there was NO balancing those bad boys... The crazy stuff we did then paved the way for the nice cool stuff we have now.

I wheel my Deuce a little but have other beater trucks that we can use for that. I just want a nice looking daily driver that wont throw my drink out of the cup holder at 65 mph. I like to go woods riding with my kids and watch everyone wheel like i used too and i somehow, i guess from experience became the recovery vehicle. My son and his friends call my Deuce MESSIAH because I am the guy who get the call at 3AM when no one else "can get them out", MESSIAH the savior to the rescue!!!

I will start a new post in a week or so with the build and pictures.

The hardest thing i have had to deal with is rim sizes. Seems ridiculous to me that there are hardly any rims (good looking) over 10"w with out going to 20" but i will make it work. Thanks eveyone!

MessiaH2

Well i just replaced everything and did a complete break job. I really see NO reason for Bigger brakes myself because I do not drive as fast everywhere like i used too and breaking has not been an issue at all, even trailering.

I will be looking into changing the gears out once i get tires and lift on but that's about it for now. I have already upgraded the exhaust to Flow Masters and had to rebuild transmission last year at about 160 miles.

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
Bigger brakes? My god have you seen the calipers on the 2, how much bigger do you need to go? I've had to absolutely smash my brakes a few times and it amazes me how such a huge chunk of steel can stop so quickly. Muscle cars, hot rods, etc....bigger brakes-most definitely. I can see needing to stop quickly going 100mph+ but what's the purpose on an H2?

I think we are in different weight classes and Hamster getting F-450 brakes front and rear.

twinmill28

Spilled Milk

Dude--you live in Az, there has to have been a time when you climbed something steep that required you to go back down. That's when you need the biggest brakes you can find. And that's also the only time I felt my 3 had outperformed the deuce, with it's 4:1 trans case it walked down these things. But in the deuce without the massive reduction, I was puckering and had the pedal to the floor trying to slow up all 6600 pounds of the mighty deuce. That is a really bad feeling at a really bad time. Would bigger brakes help in straight downhill applications? I don't know, but they'd sure be worth a try!

MessiaH2

I think we are in different weight classes and Hamster getting F-450 brakes front and rear.

What size lift, tires and rims are you running on Hamspter?

I ordered 18" rims after all. What can you tell me about the oversized breaks? I have not needed them before but will be running 38's next week before i know it and will have to see what stopping is like.

LoJac963

There is an absolutely massive hill on the say to Sedona, AZ......it winds and is a 6% grade for 7 miles as it drops into Verde Valley. It doesn't seem like much of a grade but going northbound you drive along a Cliffside. I actually coasted most of the way and if I needed to slow down I either tapped the brakes or manually shifted into a lower gear to let the engine slow the truck down. Personally I don't feel bigger brakes is something the 2 needs, the brakes it has are more than sufficient.

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
6" fab tech lift, 38" on 20x12 rims,
you can't fit big brake kit inside less that 20" rim.
and Hamster is going for a custom suspension upgrade with SAS dynatrack 60 front rock80 rear, and I ordered with upgraded brakes which is aperantly f-450 brakes.
but again my weights 8300lb empty, so with gas, people and gear I'll be pushing 9k

MessiaH2

6" fab tech lift, 38" on 20x12 rims,
you can't fit big brake kit inside less that 20" rim.
and Hamster is going for a custom suspension upgrade with SAS dynatrack 60 front rock80 rear, and I ordered with upgraded brakes which is aperantly f-450 brakes.
but again my weights 8300lb empty, so with gas, people and gear I'll be pushing 9k

MB30sdl,

Your Hamster is SICK but I am sure you already know that and should be proud of that bad boys. Great looking bad ass rig. Yea i am lighter for sure and here in S. Jersey mostly have mud, no mountains.

How wide are your tires? what are they? I have to admit on your truck the 20's look good even though it is not for me.

I am so excited for next Wednesday when my 6" Fab Tech will be installed, 38" x 15.50" x 18" Mud Grapplers on 18"x10" Moto's I also removed my side bars, nerf bars and went for the AMP Power running boards which tuck away and should make the truck look higher I am thinking. I am going to post the build next week. Thanks for sharing your information