• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Bought my first gun.

H3DONIST

I bought my first gun. It's a Smith & Wesson M&P 9.

Top box is FMJ range ammo and the bottom box is Hydra-Shok hollow points for home defense.

skeptic

It's fun and addictive. By this time next year you'll have your CCW, a small 9mm to carry, and at least one .22lr pistol ('cause .22lr is soooo much cheaper to shoot, if you can find ammo for it). May as well start looking at rifles, you'll be buying at least one of those soon.

hockeymanam

Not to hijack this thread but im looking to buy my first gun and wanted to get my concealed carry. So what would be a good gun for that also with stopping power? I know it really comes down to shooter preference but if i could get a list to narrow down the search it would be very helpful !!!

skeptic

Not to hijack this thread but im looking to buy my first gun and wanted to get my concealed carry. So what would be a good gun for that also with stopping power? I know it really comes down to shooter preference but if i could get a list to narrow down the search it would be very helpful !!!
Talk about opening a can of worms. Seriously, find a gun forum and start reading. Learn the differences between SAO, DAO, SA/DA, striker fired, etc. then decide which you'd feel most comfortable with. Do you want a dedicated carry gun (ie small), or more of an all around gun that can be carried (medium). Find a local range that rents guns and try a few. My preference is 9mm or .40, but statistics back up the fact that even a single shot from a .22lr will cause a bad guy to cease his aggressive actions most of the time, yet on the rare occasion multiple shots with a .45 and the bad guys keeps coming. Others will tell you any caliber is fine, as long as it starts with a 4. .380 seems to be the new hot thing, plenty of very small "pocket" guns out there in .380 with more on the way. Not a bad option if you are strictly looking for a carry gun.

Honestly, for a first hand gun I'd suggest a .22lr. Very easy to shoot, very easy to learn with, and while it wouldn't be my first choice in a carry gun a lot of people do and it's hard to argue against it. Heck, I've even carried a small .22lr a few times before I got a small 9mm and didn't feel like carrying my larger pistol. The big problem with .22lr right now is the ammo is hard to find. Even that isn't strictly true, you can order as much as you want online if you are willing to pay $0.15 to $0.20 a round plus shipping - a lot cheaper than any other ammo, but for those of us that are used to buying 500+ round bricks for $0.04 a round it may as well be unavailable.

H3DONIST

It's fun and addictive. By this time next year you'll have your CCW, a small 9mm to carry, and at least one .22lr pistol ('cause .22lr is soooo much cheaper to shoot, if you can find ammo for it). May as well start looking at rifles, you'll be buying at least one of those soon.

I already have my CCW and have been shopping for a small conceal gun as well as some .22 rifles for my kids, so they can go shooting with me. lol

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pistols are the ultimate personal preference choice. Go to a range that rents guns and try several different styles handguns to narrow down what you like. Single stack/double stack, size, weight, trigger, etc

abearden

Nice collection starter! Reminds me that I need to go clean mine.

For carry, as long as it's at least .380 (which includes .38, .357, 9mm, .40, .44, .45, and any number of in-between calibers) it'll work fine for concealed carry and self-defense. If I remember correctly, the saying for your average self-defense gun fight is 3-5 rounds at 3-5 yards. Caliber really doesn't matter (yes, even .22 works okay), but your comfort and shot placement does. Instead of jumping straight to CCW, I'd second the idea of getting a .22 pistol and practicing your shooting mechanics first. The gun doesn't matter if you can't hit anything.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
H3donist, congrats on the purchase! I've heard a lot of good things about those S&W.

About choosing a gun for concealed carry - you need to figure out how you are going to carry as that can help frame the choice of guns. My .380 easily fits in a pocket, with a pocket holster. Also works well in the small of my back.

My Glock23 is a compact .40 and works with with IWB (inside waistband) but that requires an untucked shirt.

Glocks are easy as they don't have manual safeties, rarely misfire, easy to manage, clean, etc. But the grip isn't right for a lot of people, or there are other features that they don't like. I also like them as a "plastic" gun they are lighter and thus easier for concealed carry.

But, as has been stated and can't be stated enough, you've got to go try different items. For the try list, may I suggest a few:
Sig P238 - .380
-small, 1911ish, well built, fires great, but pricey
Ruger LC9 & LCP - 9mm & .380
-small, easy to manage, less expensive
Ruger LCR - 38special revolver
-revolvers are simply easy to shoot, no slides to worry about
Glock 23 - .40 compact
-Glocks are affordable, easy to maintain, easy to shoot, popular with many police forces
Glock 19 - 9mm compact
-9mm is easier to shoot than .40, often more readily available and less expensive
Springfield XDM in any caliber you like
-Similar to the Glocks, but with some differentiating features you might like
Springfield 1911, just about any model
-There's a reason this style of gun has been around a long time
New Glock G30S and Springfiled XDS - single stack .45 (Glock and XD are double stack pistols, meaning the grips are have rounds side by side for more storage but bulkier grips. These new single stack guns are more concealable.)
-Especially nice for those that want the stopping power of a .45 in a small package.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the XDS 45. Great concealed carry platform. Most concealed carry guns are 380 or 9mm so int is nice being able to pick up a 45 concealed carry weapon.

H3DONIST

H3donist, congrats on the purchase! I've heard a lot of good things about those S&W.

About choosing a gun for concealed carry - you need to figure out how you are going to carry as that can help frame the choice of guns. My .380 easily fits in a pocket, with a pocket holster. Also works well in the small of my back.

My Glock23 is a compact .40 and works with with IWB (inside waistband) but that requires an untucked shirt.

Glocks are easy as they don't have manual safeties, rarely misfire, easy to manage, clean, etc. But the grip isn't right for a lot of people, or there are other features that they don't like. I also like them as a "plastic" gun they are lighter and thus easier for concealed carry.

But, as has been stated and can't be stated enough, you've got to go try different items. For the try list, may I suggest a few:
Sig P238 - .380
-small, 1911ish, well built, fires great, but pricey
Ruger LC9 & LCP - 9mm & .380
-small, easy to manage, less expensive
Ruger LCR - 38special revolver
-revolvers are simply easy to shoot, no slides to worry about
Glock 23 - .40 compact
-Glocks are affordable, easy to maintain, easy to shoot, popular with many police forces
Glock 19 - 9mm compact
-9mm is easier to shoot than .40, often more readily available and less expensive
Springfield XDM in any caliber you like
-Similar to the Glocks, but with some differentiating features you might like
Springfield 1911, just about any model
-There's a reason this style of gun has been around a long time
New Glock G30S and Springfiled XDS - single stack .45 (Glock and XD are double stack pistols, meaning the grips are have rounds side by side for more storage but bulkier grips. These new single stack guns are more concealable.)
-Especially nice for those that want the stopping power of a .45 in a small package.

I'm probably going to pocket carry mostly, until I find a nice IWB holster.

A few guns I've been looking at are the Ruger LC9, S&W M&P Shield 9mm, Kahr CM9, and a Kel-Tec PF9.

skeptic

I'm probably going to pocket carry mostly, until I find a nice IWB holster.

A few guns I've been looking at are the Ruger LC9, S&W M&P Shield 9mm, Kahr CM9, and a Kel-Tec PF9.
Add Nano to that list. I tried all of those other than the PF9 when looking for my carry gun. My decision came down to the Shield vs. Nano, and I was lucky enough to be able to shoot both at the same time, going back and forth between them. The Shield is arguably the better gun, certainly a better range gun, and is available in .40 if that matters. The Shield has the standard external safety and external slide lock, with a short crisp trigger. The Nano has no external safety (just the trigger safety), no external slide lock, and a longer but not too long trigger pull. To over generalize it, the Shield is more 1911 cocked and locked like where the Nano is Glock-ish in it's operation. The Nano is also a bit smaller. Ultimately I decided if I was ever in a high stress situation where I felt the need to pull my gun for protection, I would want a longer trigger pull and would not want to deal with a safety. The trigger on the Shield really is short enough I wouldn't be comfortable carrying it with the safety off. I'm quite happy with my Nano and if I had to do it over I'd go with the Nano again, but the Shield is nice and would make a great carry gun as well. Really more of which style you want, as they are very different.

Whatever you decide, do yourself a favor and do not buy the LC9 without shooting one first. The trigger is so long and breaks so far back if almost feels like you have to press your finger against the base of your thumb. Exaggeration of course, but I went from "this is the one I think I'm going to buy" to "wow, I really hate this thing" after shooting one magazine. I know some people like theirs, or claim they get used to it and it's not an issue, but of every gun I've ever shot this is the only one where I thought the trigger was too bad to even consider.

If you really want to pocket carry let me throw a couple things out. First, get a pocket holster, maybe a nice Remora or something. Second, even the smallest 9mm pistols are pushing it as a pocket gun - a .380 may be a better option and there are some really nice pocket .380s out there.

chaos254

I went with a kahr cm9 for my concealed carry. Great little gun. My wife has a bodyguard .380 and its nice but .380s are not fun too shoot and its just too small for my hands.

To me, pocket carry is the most comfortable. I also carry IWB but it can definitely be uncomfortable at times. Each position has their positive and negatives

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

H3DONIST

Add Nano to that list.

I was just watching videos about this gun when I read your comment. It looks like a pretty nice choice as well.

Whatever you decide, do yourself a favor and do not buy the LC9 without shooting one first. The trigger is so long and breaks so far back if almost feels like you have to press your finger against the base of your thumb. Exaggeration of course, but I went from "this is the one I think I'm going to buy" to "wow, I really hate this thing" after shooting one magazine. I know some people like theirs, or claim they get used to it and it's not an issue, but of every gun I've ever shot this is the only one where I thought the trigger was too bad to even consider.

I've seen the videos and read the reviews about the long trigger travel, but if I decide to go with the LC9 and hate the long pull, I will just get a kit to shorten it. I haven't done a lot of looking yet, but I did find a Galloway Precision Trigger Kit for the LC9 and it makes a lot of difference.

Here's a video that shows the difference between the stock trigger and the modified one on the LC9:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BAsa7YnuEw

H3DONIST

I went with a kahr cm9 for my concealed carry. Great little gun. My wife has a bodyguard .380 and its nice but .380s are not fun too shoot and its just too small for my hands.

That is why I decided to to with a 9mm for my carry gun. I looked at the bodyguard and the LCP, but they are so tiny in my big mitts, I don't feel comfortable shooting them.

To me, pocket carry is the most comfortable. I also carry IWB but it can definitely be uncomfortable at times.

It's pretty much a no brainer for me, due to my size. I'm a big guy and anything I try to carry IWB or OWB, will print and be uncomfortable. I do live in a state where I can open carry legally, but I would prefer not to advertise that I have a gun.

H3DONIST

I should also point out that I can't stand Glocks. They are great, reliable guns, but their grip is funky and doesn't fit in my hand. It just feels unnatural to me when I'm holding one, which is ultimately why I chose the M&P 9 as my first gun. The grip and ergonomics are absolutely amazing for my hand.

ABNTROOP

HIPPO
springfield armories XD .40 man. can't go wrong

H3DONIST

For my concealed carry I go a little nuts and take my H&K USP .45.... and 3 12 round magazines on my body.

I wouldn't mind carrying a full size gun, but I'm fat, so it would print really bad and be uncomfortable. lol

Sethmark

I tried every holster and gun combination I could think of. I try inside the waistband, outside the waistband, junk carry, small of back...nothing was comfortable and practical. So I went to the Ruger LCP in 380 and the wallet holster. Stuff it in my back pocket and I'm good to go. Prints like a wallet from the back.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370438440.275264.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370438460.127633.jpg

Last edited:

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I wouldn't mind carrying a full size gun, but I'm fat, so it would print really bad and be uncomfortable. lol
It just depends on how you dress. Skinny people say the same thing - they are skinny so the gun would really stand out. You don't have to dress in loose garbage bags to conceal but you probably don't want to wear your yoga clothing either.

One of my CCW instructors was 350 lbs and was concealing six guns on him at the time. None were visible.

As Sethmark pointed out, it's important to try different approaches. Unfortunately, it tends to mean buying about five holsters before you find the one you really like :gaah:

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I carry different sized pistols in different places. My subcompacts will go anywhere. The compacts and mid sized pistols usually go in the small of my back. 511 and a few others make some concealed carry clothing that offers other concealed options.

chaos254

I should also point out that I can't stand Glocks. They are great, reliable guns, but their grip is funky and doesn't fit in my hand. It just feels unnatural to me when I'm holding one, which is ultimately why I chose the M&P 9 as my first gun. The grip and ergonomics are absolutely amazing for my hand.

M&Ps are great guns. I shot the .40 at the range the other week and it will definitely be my next handgun. It felt perfect in my hand and I was extremely accurate with it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2