• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

ReconH3 Build Thread v2.0

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Nice, I still need to make a transmission pan skid/engine oil pan skid, I also want to grab some doors off car part and make some half doors. Then I can wheel the tight hammer trails without worry of body damage to my regular doors

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I like factory doors that are trimmed down mainly for water intrusion. Tube doors would allow water and near the BCM that's not good.

Does your pumpkin hit the gas tank? On my Eaton HO72 rear axle it gets close to hitting but doesn't.

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
D3AA3A2F-945B-48A3-9B9D-7F96C84541F1.jpg

H3 just got a new sidekick. It's my new daily driver. H3 has been designated 100% for OVERT, CERT, SAR, and CAP duties. It no longer has rear seats. Only spare and recovery gear back there.

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Now that you have to two of them which one do you enjoy more? Which ones is more capable off road?

Two very different rigs. Nit my first Jeep by the way. I've had pretty much every model except the YJ.

The Hummer has the V8 and 40s. I have no plans to spend that kind of money to make them comparable. The purpose of the JK is as my daily driver with some Offroad capability. I'm a volunteer in OVERT, CERT, SAR and CAP so it needs to be able to assist if I don't have time to go back home to get the Hummer. The H3 no longer has the rear seats. It has been delegated to those duties and is fully loaded with all the emergency and recovery gear. One of the duties I have during emergencies is to transport first responders and medical personnel to their workplace, when they can't. The JK is better for that since it has all it's seats. The fact that the JK is way lighter is also the reason it gets stuck less. It's way more nimble and has a much lower center of gravity, but it does not have the ground clearance of the Hummer. Out the box, the JK is a much more capable rig. Partly due to the weight, and partly due to a better suspension setup. It's also a manual transmission, which I think is much better for off-roading. I hope one day I can get rid of the auto tranny in the Hummer. I've only taken the JK on the trails once, and it performed flawlessly.

53a083b5ef0433df7fb5fdb2dc7b5970.jpg

Last edited:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
A 4 door Rubicon weighs in just over 4300 lbs and a H3 alpha weighs in just over 4800 lbs. Could you feel a difference over 500 lbs?

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
A 4 door Rubicon weighs in just over 4300 lbs and a H3 alpha weighs in just over 4800 lbs. Could you feel a difference over 500 lbs?

First, it's where that weight is. In the Hummer, those 500 pounds are higher up than on the Jeep. Where weight sits on a truck makes all the difference. That's why I stay away from roof racks. Secondly, there's way more than 500 lbs difference between my JK and my Hummer. Don't ask me how much because I haven't been able to put them on scales. On the JK I went from stock to a 33.5" tire. In the Hummer I went from stock, to two Dana 60 axles and 40" tires. HUGE difference!

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Gotcha, I was looking stock at stock to stock. Stock difference is 500 lbs from a rubicon to alpha it's a tad less wth the I5.

But for you 40s weigh much more then 33.5s

60s weigh more then D44s lol

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Gotcha, I was looking stock at stock to stock. Stock difference is 500 lbs from a rubicon to alpha it's a tad less wth the I5.

But for you 40s weigh much more then 33.5s

60s weigh more then D44s lol

Completely stock it is even more significant since the H3 tends to be much more top heavy. As you modify it you increase the weight below the chasis. Unless of course you add a roof rack with the spare, a few fuel cans, HiLift and other heavy objects. :). Believe it or not, even 100 pounds is noticeable when off-roading. The HUGE advantage the Jeep has over the H3, is how much weight you can shave off. Weight is everything in 4x4. I've seen Suzukis on bald street tires and open diffs out perform done up rigs with lockers and large knobby tires. It's embarrassing but the reality of weight and low center of gravity.

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
I know. It hurts like hell. Especially all the effort to put it together. The same happened with my Jeep build, and it's not even half the size. :(

JPaul

imgur.com or self-hosting is the way to go. I've always disliked photobucket.

Edit: I just learned that they want $400 a year to be able to embed images. That is just flat out extortion.

Last edited:

Hunner

At one time I recall there was a problem with bandwith or storage limit on the forum and we were asked to use a 3rd party. However there have been several changes since then so maybe it is doable.

It's up there in the top of the reply page. A lot easier than I remember. "insert image"

If mine go away I have my build and adventures backed up, I will just have to insert the images by looking at the stored page.

I had to reduce the image to 800 x 600 I think it squeshed the H3 a bit so now I can go tighter trails?

I pack for the type of wheeling I am going to do. Most weight I keep down low with the rear seats out.
_DAH8421_resize.jpg

For "touring" I load it up!

DAH_5086- 8x.JPG

Last edited: