• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

SoCal Event - Bishop, CA - August 10-11

cbetts

NERD!!!
Once again, it is time for the annual Bishop trip. We will be taking the same two trails (Silver/Wyman Canyons and Wheeler Ridge) but his time we are doing a night run up Wheeler Ridge! I know I promised new runs this year but work is taking over my life. Fortunately, I already had days scheduled off for this! We will be getting close to 12,000 ft elevation on both of these trails so some may experience altitude sickness. I recommend at least a good night's sleep in Bishop before attempting, especially if you are used to living at sea level.

Saturday - August 10th - Wheeler Ridge

Description: Wheeler Ridge is a fun trail that will require decent ground clearance on the technical areas. Lockers are not required but can make some obstacles easier. Depending on how quickly we get through this, we will be taking a detour to a beautiful isolated lake for some great scenic views. There is also a fun area littered with poser boulders for some great photo opportunities. The night run will provide some spectacular views of the stars with no city lights to interfere. :link:

When: August 10th, 2013

Where: Swall Meadows, CA

Time (Day Run): 10:00 AM, we will meet up and head out once everyone is ready.

CANCELLED NIGHT RUN. MAY BE DOING SILVER CANYON INSTEAD. PLANS TO BE DISCUSSED AT WHEELER RIDGE SAFETY MEETING
[STRIKE]Time (Night Run): 8:00 PM, we will meet up and head out once everyone is ready. [/STRIKE]

Meeting Spot: In the clearing off Sky Meadow Road in Swall Meadows. :link:

Communications: CB channel 37

Sunday - August 11th - Silver/Wyman Canyons

Description: Silver Canyon starts at the bottom of the White Mountain in the town of Laws just a few miles north of Bishop. We will then descend down Wyman Canyon. If everyone is up for it, we will return back the way we came in. This is an easy trail but the the heights can be intimidating. Those that are in a hurry can choose to leave for home from the end of Wyman Canyon. Low range will be required for the switchbacks. :link:

When: August 11, 2013

Where: Laws, CA

Time: 10:00 AM, we will meet up and head out once everyone is ready. Airing down is optional for this run but it can make the ride more pleasant.
Meeting Spot: In the clearing next to Silver Canyon Road just outside of Laws. :link:

Communications: CB channel 37

Confirmed Attendance:
cbetts - H3 (both days)
Zach - H2 (both days)
poncho1965 - H3 (both days)
AAMCO - H2 (both days)
[STRIKE]06 H3 - H3 (both days)[/STRIKE]
[STRIKE]Betty (Craig's friend) - Jeep ( Wheeler - Day)[/STRIKE]
owlxxx - H3
friend of owlxxx - Tacoma
JRWid - Jeep
[STRIKE]Kardiez - Jeep (Saturday)[/STRIKE]
[STRIKE]Dave (friend of Kardiez) - Jeep (Saturday)[/STRIKE]
Mb30sdl - H2

Possible Attendance:
Kyle - H3
JonBishop - H3
Fish - H2
H3ING - H3
bigbadt - H?
[STRIKE]Torres Fernando - H3[/STRIKE]

Camping
[STRIKE]Torres Fernando[/STRIKE]

Last edited:

Kyle

This would be a great trip for your parents to attend as well. The scenery is outstanding up there!

Yea im sure they would love to go, but idk where my mind is mentally going to be when i get the hummer back and start driving it again. lol

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Yea im sure they would love to go, but idk where my mind is mentally going to be when i get the hummer back and start driving it again. lol

I don't wanna clutter up this thread but I would say if you wheel stuff will happen. Bizarre things, common things, cheap things, expensive things. A few years ago I was pist off due to some damage and thought about moving to a different vehicle and surprisingly a jeep buddy talked me out of it. He reminded me of all the reasons of why I love that thing and told me to build it to a point to avoid the same problem I had, so that's what I'm doing. Now I am a bit older and more level headed, not saying you aren't, and realized any off road vehicle you are in stuff will happen. If you want an old beater that doesn't have air bags it will have other problems and the list goes on from any other vehicle. Now I am personally to the point of no return, I have so much money, time, heart and experiences in the H3 I will not sell it and have no intentions of doing it.

So I recommend pulling the fuse if your gonna wheel or tap into the system and put in an on off switch, but that may cause other issues. Either way **** happens, get back out there and you will love the 3 again. If you want the least amount of vehicle problems by a stock Toyota Camry, keep it stock, and don't redline the motor, don't drive fast and take it easy. Just my 2 cents.

And I plan to attend.

Kyle

I don't wanna clutter up this thread but I would say if you wheel stuff will happen. Bizarre things, common things, cheap things, expensive things. A few years ago I was pist off due to some damage and thought about moving to a different vehicle and surprisingly a jeep buddy talked me out of it. He reminded me of all the reasons of why I love that thing and told me to build it to a point to avoid the same problem I had, so that's what I'm doing. Now I am a bit older and more level headed, not saying you aren't, and realized any off road vehicle you are in stuff will happen. If you want an old beater that doesn't have air bags it will have other problems and the list goes on from any other vehicle. Now I am personally to the point of no return, I have so much money, time, heart and experiences in the H3 I will not sell it and have no intentions of doing it.

So I recommend pulling the fuse if your gonna wheel or tap into the system and put in an on off switch, but that may cause other issues. Either way **** happens, get back out there and you will love the 3 again. If you want the least amount of vehicle problems by a stock Toyota Camry, keep it stock, and don't redline the motor, don't drive fast and take it easy. Just my 2 cents.

And I plan to attend.

im just going to pull the fuse when im going to touch any dirt.

poncho1965

No side airbags on mine. I plan on keeping my '3 forever. I won't exclude the possibility of a jeep in my future, the LCC run had some nice machines! I have to do something since I've given up crotch rockets and dirt bikes!

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I spoke to Zach on this. All H3s have the standard air bags but side air bags were optional in 06, 07 and 08 and standard in 09 and 10.

Panzer07

Count me in guys..."someone has to chrome-blind-you guys at the trails".
as well Craig I would like to know if it would be possible and ok with you to tag alone and pre-run the trails that Friday (that way if I suck at it, nobody will know) JK.

cbetts

NERD!!!
Count me in guys..."someone has to chrome-blind-you guys at the trails".
as well Craig I would like to know if it would be possible and ok with you to tag alone and pre-run the trails that Friday (that way if I suck at it, nobody will know) JK.

You did pretty good on LCC so I don't mind. Just be aware that we may be doing some trail maintenance on the way. I am anticipating at least one tree to remove that has been slowly falling down over the last few years. Serge made a valiant effort to take it down last year.
_DSC0155.jpg

Panzer07

Alrighty and No Problem, with my axe and E-Tool there ain't tree too thick to chop nor trench too deep to dig/fill !!!
image.jpg
Anyways another question everyone here is getting all fancy and worrying about hotels to spend the night...is camping a possibility while out there... just asking since this time I'll be wheeling alone most likely (since the wife will be taking care of our 2 month old baby).

cbetts

NERD!!!
Alrighty and No Problem, with my axe and E-Tool there ain't tree too thick to chop nor trench too deep to dig/fill !!!
View attachment 10745
Anyways another question everyone here is getting all fancy and worrying about hotels to spend the night...is camping a possibility while out there... just asking since this time I'll be wheeling alone most likely (since the wife will be taking care of our 2 month old baby).
There are a lot of campgrounds around the area. We have had member camp at Pleasant Valley Dam and Schober Park. I used to camp as a kid all through Pine Creek Canyon but they are not official campgrounds. If at all possible, please acquire an air compressor for the trip. I have taken Wheeler Ridge without airing down but it is much easier at lower pressures.

im in if i dont have to go to Vietnam for work:gaah:, im a possible right now...
I hope you make it! You appeared to have a lot of fun on the last run you did with us.

Panzer07

Alrighty good enough, thanks for the intel, and for sure...I will make sure I have an air compressor this time for the group and me to use.

JonBishop

I hope you make it! You appeared to have a lot of fun on the last run you did with us.

o i had a blast everysingle second that trial, jus sucks cuz every time theres a event, my work runs in the way!!! grrr ill do my best to try to get the work date moved back tho, i need to do a run again!!!!