• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

2006 H2 Clunk when turning left or hitting bump

2007HummerH2

While driving today I started to notice a clunk noise when I would take a turn to the left, or hit a bump in the road. You can feel it in the driver's floorboard as well. I had a passenger that could hear it but did not feel it. Couldn't feel it in the steering wheel or pedals.
I know a lot of things can cause this, but it came out of no where.
Curious as to what the cause could possibly be. I don't have a lot of experience with a 2006 model. This is an adventure series with approx 57,000 miles.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I believe the diff crossmember is an issue with the H2, like it is in the H3. That could be an issue. That, or a worn end on one of the steering components, like pitman arm or idler, which I believe are both suspect to wear.

HUMMERDAD

It's a common problem with the H2 usally it's the upper tierod that pops or it's the upper bushing one of the two. I had mine replaced twice now and have come to terms with the noise knowing it is not a major problem. I believe mine started around your milage too it was under warienty at the time and is a known problem with front suspension on most GM heavy duty trucks.

2007HummerH2

My noise just disappeared.....I bought some new body mounts, but haven't had time to replace them. Seems like the noise came on when the 2 got rained on, and then went away after it dried out.....weird

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was going to suggest you check the body mounts. On the H1s those are prime symptoms it is time to replace body mounts.

Spydrdrvr

I have started having the same problems with my 05 H2 with 79,000 miles. I was coming out of a parking garage and heard the noise initially. I tried to turn a little tighter as I was exiting the garage to see if I could pinpoint the noise better. Too bad I forgot about the large yellow poles at the exit! After taking the poles down the passenger side of my H2 and having to pay to have it repaired, I decided to just replace all of the stuff under the front since that might be less expensive than hitting the poles again.

I just ordered Cognito upper control arms, tie rod ends, sway bar links, Pittman arm, idler arm, sway bar bushings, sway bar links, and Bilsteins all the way around to replace everything in the front steering/suspension area. I decided to order all of this because I don't want to have to take everything apart again later and replace it piece by piece. I also have to replace the seal in the differential while I'm in there.

I will let you know if this takes care of my "clunk". And the other "clunk" that I had I hope to never have again!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 660

LoJac963

I have the same issue, started about 2 years ago for a few months then went away. Now all of a sudden its back. I was under the assumption it is the body mounts. However I prices those out and the dealership price is a joke. I know there was a TSB on the issue where they would put plastic isolators between the body mount and the body but the dealership I bought mine from wouldn't do anything about it. I thought about trying to tighten the bolts down, maybe that would stop it?

MessiaH2

UUHHGG, I have the same clunk and its aggravating because it is intermittent. Doesn't seem to be anything damaging or dangerous. In 6 days i will have my new 6" lift kit on which i guess in theory might replace the item that is a culprit. As always, anything being intermittent is a nightmare!!!