• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Poll: To trade-in or not to trade-in? THAT is the question

Trade-in or build-up?

• Total voters

delta88

Taint Licker
So I'm on the fence on whether or not I should trade-in my base 06 for a newer H3 with the adventure package. The biggest con with a trade-in is that I would have a new loan and payment, and I would no longer have a green H3 :roll:

But the Adventure is really where I want to be. Would you guys rather see the base '06 built-up or should I just foot the bill and go newer?

skeptic

Easy one. Trade the '06 for an '08+ adventure THEN build up the new one.

edit: I love how easy it is to tell others the right choice is to spend more money. :mock: Honestly though, it does make the most sense to me.

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
:agree:

That way you will have the rig you want and can build from a better base (more power, lockers, no head issues, hopefully less miles, newer parts in general, etc.). I was happy to see that your "only" trade-in option is another HUMMER! If you can afford it why not! Good luck with your decision.

08SolarFlareH3

Super Swampers
I have always wanted and still want a Shadow Green H3, sucks they were only made one year. I say either option is fine, I guess its up to you but it pains me to say (because I love green Hummers) you would probably be better off with a 07+. Also 09-10's got the addition of a front locker going for them with the adventure/off road package but 08's seem to be the most reasonably priced.

Last edited:

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
For me it would be a dollars and cents issue. Building up to an Adventure package is about $1700 for the transfer case and $750 for the rear locker. Addiing a front locker is significantly more as you need a whole new carrier. So, to move to an "equivalent" 07 should be $2500 or less. Equivalent assumes equal miles, equal trim, etc.

A big benefit of 07 and newer is the 100K powertrain warranty. I would put that value around $1500, near the price of a GMPP though of course it doesn't cover as much. But I've definitely seen more than $1500 (heck, more than $3000) in value from that powertrain warranty. Mind that you need to keep an eye on the years too as it is five years so I'm going to hit 100K just a few months before I hit five years.

07s and newer have a bit more power. That never sucks.

07 and newer may have less miles. That is worth something.

For me, if I could get an 07 or newer Adventure, with less miles for maybe $6000 or less difference after the value of your 06 I might do it. Anything more than that must have great value - never, ever offroad; low miles, V8, front/rear lockers, etc.

DJinCO

I have a base 06 with 134K miles. I want to trade for a Alpha Adventure. Money is the only problem. I sure do wish I could convince Tim to loan me his H2 SUT for a while, then I would know if I need an H2 or not. I bought a Tahoe to replace my "original" Tahoe; the problem is the replacement just doesn't drive the same as the "original" and no where near as good as a Hummer.

H3slate

Brush raked
If yours is paid off, I would keep it and mod it! If you are still making payments, then I would want the newer truck with the locker and slightly less wimpy engine.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I may be biased here but heres my opinion. I have an 06. I am not upgrading to a newer one. why? I cant afford it, and if I could I still wouldnt. For me this exact Hummer has a special spot in my heart. I learned to drive in this rig, I learned to wheel in this rig. Memories are invaluable, they dont have a dollar sign IMHO. Even though you might get a better motor, better warranty etc. It would be nice to not have to have the payments if its paid off. More money could go to this 06 and on top of that its fun to transform a rig. You can keep the old parts as spares or sell and get some money for it. My 06 is a lux non adv. I have the locker in it now and it made a HUGE difference. I am planning on doing the T-case swap also and then you have a spare Tcase in your garage in case of a failure. I do understand the added power, warranty and all that great stuff is important, I am not saying it isnt but what is even cooler is that 06's started it all :)

Flash

I really have to agree with 06 H3 above. If I was starting over, I would certainly get the most upgrades to start with. I originally wanted an adventure but actually bought the truck for the Mrs = '06 Base Lux. Shortly after purchase, it bacame mine. This truck simply has heart. I think when it was going down the assembly line, it was hping to be an adventure model but was built as a Luxury. This truck simply won't quit. Mud. Rocks. Water holes. Hill climbs. Snow. She just keeps on going. Clean her up and she can ride the boulevard. Take her off road and she just wants to run. For that alone, I feel compelled to keep her and build her instead of trading her in. Plus I know every mile thats put on her. Every oil change. Every bolt that has been turned and/or replaced. And this truck has the best heater I have ever had in a vehicle (over 40 trucks and cars). The '06's are special in that they are the equivalent of the ugly duckling. But to transform her into a beautiful "firebreathing" Swan, front and rear lockers, rancho lift, meaty 35's, and a blower - just seems too much to resist. ;-)

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
If you're talking about turning an base 06 into an adventure vs trading for a later model adventure, you're better off dollar wise to trade up. If the color is the sticking point it would be cheeper to turn the green base 06 into an adventure than to trade up and paint it green.

I say if you can find a newer adventure that someone has used as a mall crawler and never off roaded then buy it. Hummers are going to be harder to get in the future.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Flash makes great points! I think it is important to know where your vehicle came from. I think a good question is this. If you bought used and met the previous owner after one year of owning your vehicle what what you say/do? Luckily for me this was always in the family and I know it was taken care of. I think if my brother got to meet the previous owner of his JK he would kick him in the shin and tell him to never touch a car again. This previous owner did some bizarre stuff....His locks stopped working...Thats weird, we check it out and the guy used hangers as rods for working the automatic locks!!! WTH! We have gone over everything and I think we fixed all the bizarre things that have been done. If you do trade it in dont be afraid to look over everything extensively.

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
I should have added my ground rules for purchasing a 4x4 vehicle.

1 Never buy a used 4x4 vehicle.
2 If you can only buy used 4x4 vehicles, make sure it has never been driven off road or modified!
3 If you can't find an unmodified 4x4 vehicle make sure the modifications were professionally installed and get a through vehicle inspection by a professional!
4 If you can't find a 4x4 vehicle that has never been driven off road keep looking!
5 When shopping for used 4x4 vehicles mall crawlers are a great resource!

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I like #5 Mike lol mall crawlers are being useful for something.

If worst comes to worst I can contact this guy I saw at the gas station yesterday. Surprisingly enough I have seen mall crawlers have the adv package....

2011-09-28_16-13-16_753.jpg

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
Sweet! I'm sure that has never been off road.

When I bought my H3T, it was luxury model (leather seats, ...) Alpha with the off road package (front and rear lockers and 33" wheels) but the dealer had replaced the 33" wheels with 20" chrome rims and 32" tires. Now why would you add mall crawler wheels to an Alpha with an off road package? Makes no sense. However, the point is mall crawlers never make any sense, so don't ever try to apply logic.

08SolarFlareH3

Super Swampers
I should have added my ground rules for purchasing a 4x4 vehicle.

1 Never buy a used 4x4 vehicle.
2 If you can only buy used 4x4 vehicles, make sure it has never been driven off road or modified!
3 If you can't find an unmodified 4x4 vehicle make sure the modifications were professionally installed and get a through vehicle inspection by a professional!
4 If you can't find a 4x4 vehicle that has never been driven off road keep looking!
5 When shopping for used 4x4 vehicles mall crawlers are a great resource!
There are also several issues with purchasing "mall crawlers". Removing stick on chrome. Trying to find OEM replacement parts to replace the aftermarket tail lights, marker lights, turn signals, chrome door handles (or covers), chrome mirrors (or covers), and etc. Then there is removing cheap as HID's, wiring for systems, alarms, remote starters and all this other aftermarket crap. Not to mention the hacked wiring harness this leaves. Seen spoilers on H3's before also, and your stuck with holes you have to fill and the only right way to due that requires welding and painting. Thats just a small list IMHO.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Many people have no clue what they are buying. I know people that bought non-Adventure trucks that wheel them relentlessly and people that bought Adventure package trucks that will never wheel them. They either didn't know it had it or bought what was on the lot because of the other options.

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
If you go to www.hummer.com, they list three H3 models, H3 (often referred to as H3 base for clarity), H3 Adventure and H3 Luxury. The "H3 Adventure" model includes the off-road suspension package as standard equipment (this package includes: fully locking electronic front and rear differentials, 4.03:1 two-speed transfer case, 33 in. LT285/75R16 on-road/off road tires). On the "H3 Luxury" model the off-road suspension package is optional. The H3 Alpha is listed as a separate vehicle tab, but it is arguably a fourth H3 model and the off-road suspension package is optional. As you can see, you can get the off-road suspension package on the H3 Adventure, H3 Luxury or H3 Alpha although on the last two it is optional equipment.

On the H3T there are 4 models. H3T, H3T Adventure, H3T Luxury and H3T Alpha. The off-road suspension package is not available on the H3T (base), it is standard on the H3T Adventure and optional on the H3T Luxury and H3T Alpha.

When most people talk about getting an Adventure, what they are really talking about is front and rear lockers which means it has the off-road suspension package.