• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

My SA hummer build

JPaul

Does that roof mounted fuel tank have baffles in it? Seems like it'd be rather dangerous to have that much fluid sloshing around that wide an area on the top of the vehicle.

Great trip from the looks of it, it's good to see these rigs getting used for more than just mudding or snapping axles on rocks. Not that it isn't fun to do that, but still.

4speedfunk

You should chop off your rear bump stops and install some airbags. They work great with either SUA or SOA. It’s a much safer way to handle loads because the springs, shackles, and bushings don’t take the weight...the bags do. They are totally adjustable too, so you don’t get a harsh ride like you do with an add-a-leaf.

Sennin

Does that roof mounted fuel tank have baffles in it? Seems like it'd be rather dangerous to have that much fluid sloshing around that wide an area on the top of the vehicle.

Great trip from the looks of it, it's good to see these rigs getting used for more than just mudding or snapping axles on rocks. Not that it isn't fun to do that, but still.

Yes, the tank has got baffles in. And to be honest even with the soft suspension i dont feel any sloshing. But then again I just fill up the roof tank when I really need to. I.E for the whole trip i filled it just once. So I guess its a trade off you have to make - more fuel and slower driving. But if you are in an area where your just able to drive in 2nd gear above idle speed its no question.

Also the flat tank works great v.s the 2 x 60 liter red pioneer tanks I carried previously

You should chop off your rear bump stops and install some airbags. They work great with either SUA or SOA. It’s a much safer way to handle loads because the springs, shackles, and bushings don’t take the weight...the bags do. They are totally adjustable too, so you don’t get a harsh ride like you do with an add-a-leaf.

Was pondering the same thing. But doesnt the airbags inhibit suspension travel when you want to do some serious offroading?

4speedfunk

Daystar make some urethane airbag cradles, and they allow the rear suspension to disconnect from them and go full droop. Then when the suspension comes back up, the bags re-seat in the cradles like normal. It’s a pretty cool setup and the only way to safely wheel with an overloaded rig...
https://youtu.be/_MH4rE7GB_Q

Reloader

Do you have a part # on those fans?
I will find my parts list that the dealer and I put together and send to you.
not sure if all will still be available. Our US built H3s have a different core support
for radiator so you need to fab a couple lower mounts for fan assembly. Wiring
harness w/relay box is set up for RHD but is easily installed and adapted to US
models.

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
Daystar make some urethane airbag cradles, and they allow the rear suspension to disconnect from them and go full droop. Then when the suspension comes back up, the bags re-seat in the cradles like normal. It’s a pretty cool setup and the only way to safely wheel with an overloaded rig...

This thing are great I have them on H2 for 3+years ( mostly for leveling trailer)
Also installed 8way (in reality u need only 4way)air valve and hooked up to my controller so I can inflate/deflated from driver seat.
This vid doesn’t show those bags on desert runner suspension
Other vids u can see them separate from cup on big jumps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amrg

I ran the stock setup with the dual fans (which btw are spal) and honestly a single spal 16" curved blade fan outperforms both fans and is quieter.
Obviously you will lose 1/2 fan operation but the dual fans are just a spal 8" and 10" fans side by side that probably output 700 cfm max altogether while The 16" curved blade fan will put around 1400 cfm (all numbers from spal datasheets) and offer more ac condensor coverage and thats the main reason for the better performance.

Btw the 2008+ H3s have the ability to run dual efans. You will need to access the ecu using hptuners to set them up (very straight forward)

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Sennin

anybody got some more info on the firestone ride-rite system for the H3, my google skills seems to fail me today, just found these so far(but no part no. etc and not able to ship to me):https://4wd1.com/airbags-h3.html

the Daystar Urethane airbag cradles were easy to find at least : http://www.daystarweb.com/productdetail.php?productID=1232

4speedfunk

Summit Racing has the cradles...
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...0G8gxsLHJ3JsMhEe4YLVkdX3sIgPL-qRoC8RAQAvD_BwE

...and the airbags. I cannot recall what kit I installed on Big Red but, I know it was a universal fit kit. Should cost around $350 USD...
https://www.summitracing.com/search...irestone &sw=Firestone Air Spring Helper Kits

Plan to do some minor fabrication and welding but, nothing too intense. Big Red was a spring-over and had plenty of room to work with. If you are running stock spring-under, I would try to find a short bag kit as you’ll only have 5”-7” to get something installed.

Last edited:

Sennin

I ran the stock setup with the dual fans (which btw are spal) and honestly a single spal 16" curved blade fan outperforms both fans and is quieter.
Obviously you will lose 1/2 fan operation but the dual fans are just a spal 8" and 10" fans side by side that probably output 700 cfm max altogether while The 16" curved blade fan will put around 1400 cfm (all numbers from spal datasheets) and offer more ac condensor coverage and thats the main reason for the better performance.

Btw the 2008+ H3s have the ability to run dual efans. You will need to access the ecu using hptuners to set them up (very straight forward)

true, but at least the stock fans are enough to have manageable temps, and as always why keep stock settings when you can change them in HPTuners

fan control.png

Sennin

Summit Racing has the cradles...
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...0G8gxsLHJ3JsMhEe4YLVkdX3sIgPL-qRoC8RAQAvD_BwE

...and the airbags. I cannot recall what kit I installed on Big Red but, I know it was a universal fit kit. Should cost around $350 USD...
https://www.summitracing.com/search...irestone &sw=Firestone Air Spring Helper Kits

Plan to do some minor fabrication and welding but, nothing too intense. Big Red was a spring-over and had plenty of room to work with. If you are running stock spring-under, I would try to find a short bag kit as you’ll only have 5”-7” to get something installed.

great, thanks 4speedfunk, definitely going to do some research, as I have the stock Spring-Under setup still. saw on ebay you can get replacement bellows, was thinking of just getting them as it would be a bit cheaper without the brackets and then just fabricating my own :wink:

4speedfunk

Totally do that. The bracketry is super cheap anyway. Make sure you get the air line kit with them. It comes with the lines, fittings, and such to inflate/deflate them from a convenient spot.

Sennin

37"s its time

So I pulled the trigger on some 37" tires for the H. placed the order in May and took delivery this weekend
big%20happy%20smile.gif

Attachments

• 20191004_161026.jpg
    20191004_161026.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 272
  • 20191005_100907.jpg
    20191005_100907.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 262
  • 20191005_100636.jpg
    20191005_100636.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 281
  • 20191005_095126.jpg
    20191005_095126.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 264
  • 20191005_105333.jpg
    20191005_105333.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 280
  • 20191005_125432.jpg
    20191005_125432.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 270

Sennin

Awesome!

Those Maxxis tires look mean!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

i love it, catch myself staring at the setup way longer than deemed normal :)

Those are going to be our next tires for sure. How bad is the ride with them being bias ply?

its surprisingly smooth, might be due to the softer compound etc. and my driving habit of keeping below 100kph (keeping in mind the tire has an K speed rating thus max speed of 110 kph) the hard shell rooftop tent has a recommended max speed of 80kph so I'm pushing the envelope :emb:

Sennin

Wow, really lacking in my updates :emb:

anyhow, in December we did a Trip in the Kruger National Park, and on the last day I had a encounter with a Buffalo that stormed me (Can be Seen at 16minutes in video)....

did the whole insurance tango, and the H went in in Feb for the repairs, and then Covid19 Hit, and we went on lock down... were are still on lock down :whaa::whaa::whaa:, at least I got the H back this weekend :horns:

[video=youtube_share;wuwZzXfrD-E]https://youtu.be/wuwZzXfrD-E[/video]

So having the H back I decided to start modding again, and fitted a Second D shackle at the back, and moved the Tag/Number plate to the spare (temporarily, really want to source a H2 license mount and install that)

20200801_142241.jpg

Next Up will be the Rancho lift kit that has been patiently waiting in its crate for the H's triumphant return, still deciding If I'm going to install the extended shackles, in the back, or just bite the bullet and do the SOA
20200802_152128.jpg

amrg

Nice trip! The buffalo just thought the H3 was a worthy adversery, esp sporting the arb bumper [emoji16]
Any idea how much the arb weighs?

Sennin

Nice trip! The buffalo just thought the H3 was a worthy adversery, esp sporting the arb bumper [emoji16]
Any idea how much the arb weighs?

mmm, it might have been, I just know I was p!ssed at it when it happened :shame:

the ARB isn't that heavy, I guesstimate it around 50Kg's, when I added the winch with wire rope and the spots, I was still able to lift and fit the whole setup myself, so less than 100Kg's with all toys fitted.

amrg

Do you have a full frontal picture? It looks like you went the 2" body lift route, did you readjust the bumper for that?

Sennin

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by amrg
Do you have a full frontal picture? It looks like you went the 2" body lift route, did you readjust the bumper for that?Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Well spotted there :wink:, I do indeed have the 2" body lift on there.

I opted against lifting the bumper, as that would entail cutting into the bumper for it to be able to move upwards on its mounting brackets, this would also move the winch out of alignment with the chassis, resulting in a torsion moment on the chassis when you would use the winch.

Front bumper Gap after 2" body lift:

20191109_144356.jpg

sooo, I opted to make some "fillers"

got myself a length of aftermarket wheel arch trim (90cm wide) and then proceeded to cut it down to fit between bumper and body (was a few attempts to get it the way I liked it). the trim I only installed on the sides, and left the centre in front of the radiator open for extra airflow.

Cutting down the wheel arch trim:

20191113_183706.jpg

test fitting before I mounted it on the ARB permanently:

20191116_093706.jpg

only frontal picture I could find, tried to zoom in a bit:

20200802_152115.jpg

Last edited:

4speedfunk

Just finished a complete "SAS/SOA in a box". This kit is bound for a customer in S. Africa. Axle is a fully assembled GM D44 with 4.88s, ARB locker, Yukon shafts, THORparts hubs, etc. Kit includes everything except the RH steering box, PS hoses, and driveshafts. Not sure the final destination...under an Alpha somewhere in Africa...

IMG_1851.jpgIMG_1852.jpgIMG_1853.jpg

Last edited:

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Just finished a complete "SAS/SOA in a box". This kit is bound for a customer in S. Africa. Axle is a fully assembled GM D44 with 4.88s, ARB locker, Yukon shafts, THORparts hubs, etc. Kit includes everything except the RH steering box, PS hoses, and driveshafts. Not sure the final destination...under an Alpha somewhere in Africa...

View attachment 26567View attachment 26568View attachment 26569
Sweet! [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk