• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

My SA hummer build

Sennin

Just finished a complete "SAS/SOA in a box". This kit is bound for a customer in S. Africa. Axle is a fully assembled GM D44 with 4.88s, ARB locker, Yukon shafts, THORparts hubs, etc. Kit includes everything except the RH steering box, PS hoses, and driveshafts. Not sure the final destination...under an Alpha somewhere in Africa...

View attachment 26567View attachment 26568View attachment 26569

oooh, thats awesome news, if you have some contact info and willing to PM me, I would love to track down the up and coming SAS locally, and make him/her part of our group :wink:

p.s. what does a kit like that cost including shipping? Asking for my future upgrade planning :huh:)I know customs clearance this side is going to be ~ $1500 - $2500

Last edited:

Sennin

Sooo, this weekend it was time to Install the Rancho 4" lift kit I had laying around. (Instructions said 4.5H wrenching time, took me and a friend 2 days and we are skilled, but old rusted bolts and nuts is another story :whaa:)

Started with the rear first

20200815_113113.jpg

As the last kits didn't have the Rancho leaf pack, you get a extended shackle with an add-a-leaf (I opted to not install the Add-a-leaf and first test with the airbags)

20200815_113248.jpg

all done with the rear (opted to install the bump stop extension under the airbag, will just make my own bump stop extender)

20200815_150611.jpg

20200815_150627.jpg

then it was time to tackle the front end (didn't get around to taking photos unfortunately) so just have finished product :)

20200816_193224.jpg

Some Issues I need to Resolve:
1. rear bump stop extensions
2. Left side bottom knuckle nut (phucked it up good to get it loose)
3. top knuckle hitting against 37" tire (even with 35mm wheel spacers, so guess I have to size up.... )
4. Rancho shocks installation, they will only arrive end of this week (Hopefully)
5. Extended Braided brake lines

Last edited:

amrg

Afaik you need at least 1.5" spacers upfront to clear the knuckles. Its probably a small bump but will definitly delay your progress.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Sennin

Afaik you need at least 1.5" spacers upfront to clear the knuckles. Its probably a small bump but will definitly delay your progress.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Jip, its the same info I also had, but with the 37" you will need more than the minimum required, therefore I decided to first fit the set I already had made up for the Caravan, and then be able to measure from there how much of a spacer I will require to fit the 37"s comfortably. and them have them fabricated. as you said its a delay in the process, but with Covid lockdown this side the H isn't going anywhere soon, so I can work on in at my leisure :shifty:

Sennin

Went 'cowboy' last night

double stacked the spacers (70mm) in the front to try and scientifically determine the exact spacers I require

20200817_174814.jpg

Now I have about 28-29mm gap between the knuckle and the tire so thinking a 2" spacer will be perfect for the stock rims and 37"s

20200817_174059.jpg

Sennin

I've read that 1.75" spacers are needed to run stock H3 rims with a Rancho. Also, these BORA spacers are supposed to be good ones. I've looked into this for myself. https://www.motorsport-tech.com/special/truck/hummer_s

that is correct, 1.75" for stock and 35" tires on the Rancho lift, but as I'm on 37"s the width of the tire has increased so I'm compensating for that, including flex when airing down, and therefore decided on the 2" :thumbs:

Also had my eye on the BORA spacers, but with import cost added to their price and imports not happening due to COVID 19 lockdown, its just not wort it, so I'm having it locally manufactured from billet Alum, same as the BORA ones. should have them by this time next week :horns:

Alpha X

that is correct, 1.75" for stock and 35" tires on the Rancho lift, but as I'm on 37"s the width of the tire has increased so I'm compensating for that, including flex when airing down, and therefore decided on the 2" :thumbs:

Cool, please share some photos of the 2 inch spacers with 37's when you get it all bolted together. I may just go with 2 inch spacers as well, to have the option of 35's or 37's.

Sennin

Received the Rancho shocks, just waiting for the wheel Spacers. then I can install them Simultaneously, and then take the H for wheel alignment :giggle:

20200826_203206.jpg

Sennin

Got my Wheel Spacers and fitted them, along with the Rancho shocks. Then did the wheel alignment, had to show the shop how you widen the wheel alignment track :wink:

then It was time to est the system.

so firstly I had to get some 35" tires underneath the off road trailer :)
20201105_153721.jpg

Note to Self, need to extend tow Hitch to be able to fully open H rear door
20201105_161641.jpg

Lets Fill Her up for the journey
20201106_111413.jpg

Time to Relax
20201106_161803.jpg

had an awesome drive, with Zero Hiccups

Gpcalero

Got my Wheel Spacers and fitted them, along with the Rancho shocks. Then did the wheel alignment, had to show the shop how you widen the wheel alignment track :wink:

then It was time to est the system.

so firstly I had to get some 35" tires underneath the off road trailer :)
View attachment 26882

Note to Self, need to extend tow Hitch to be able to fully open H rear door
View attachment 26881

Lets Fill Her up for the journey
View attachment 26880

Time to Relax
View attachment 26879

had an awesome drive, with Zero Hiccups

Man that tire wheel combo looks BEEFY!!! Looking good man.

Sennin

Got myself a 18" Curt hitch extender, and now is able to open the rear door without any complications, and what I love about the setup is when the going gets tough, I can just remove the extender, and put it back later as needed
20201207_121640.jpg

I also removed the fenders from the trailer, as they were rubbing on the 35" tires, and widened them with some Alu checkered plate
20201210_110526.jpg
20201210_123531.jpg

And we were set for our holiday, exploring the Northern Cape region, what a stunning place
20201217_152943.jpg

After I got stuck in the river bed, I decided its time to deflate the 37" tires to 0.6Bar. after deflating I just popped out and drove on (you can imagine the disappointment of the vehicle in the background that wanted to recover me :giggle:)
20201222_194324.jpg

Just an awesome sight to behold (Jip, the roof mounted off-road lights came loose, so decided to keep them in the H until i could get home and fit them properly again.
20201228_134947.jpg

Sennin

Looks like fun. How much does the extender reduce your tongue weight capacity?

The Legal towball (tongue weight) weight limit in South Africa is 100kg (200lb) so i have my trailer setup to only have 50kg (100lb) on the tow ball. so not at all concerned about tongue weight. According to the Curt info the 18" hitch extender has a tongue weight limit of 350lb

Last edited:

JPaul

only 200lb tongue weight? Good grief that is low. what do you have to do if you need to pull a trailer with a heavier tongue weight than that?

Sennin

only 200lb tongue weight? Good grief that is low. what do you have to do if you need to pull a trailer with a heavier tongue weight than that?

then you shift your weight until you get to the allowed tongue weight, else you need to get a truck to transport whatever you want to move via trailer. highly frustrating