• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Off road shovel

Hey guys, just want to get some opinions on a good non folding shovel for offroad use. Any suggestions or experience with certain brands?
Also this will be mounted on my roof rack(yakima megawarrior with yakima shovel mount) so the angle of the shovel to the handle needs to be slight to allow it to fit as flush as possible in the mounting bracket.

4speedfunk

I have an Army surplus shovel. It folds up to about the size of a hard-back novel. You're not gonna dig to China with it but, its very useful for "scooping" loose stuff, (like the dunes at Badlands & Silver Lake).

R

R-code17815

I made one similar to the Razorback.

I cut down a spare Heavy-Duty Spade Shovel, cut & welded up my own "D" handle for the end.

It's not gonna bend or brake without one hell of a fight!

Hunner

It's sort of like the ole country saying round here, "if your going to build a dog house, bring the whole damn tool box"
Why would you want to carry a toy shovel to dig out a real vehicle? You need a long handle for leverage and to reach under the vehicle with out getting down on your knees in whatever your stuck in, unless you have to. This one is about 63 inches.
A wide blade takes more leverage and muscle to heave a bunch of anything.
I trench shovel is wide enough and will dig in the track of a tire, front and back without too much interference from the vehicle overhang.
If you have a rack why not put something up there that will do some good.
DAH_1447.jpg

If you know you will be in soupy mud or clay and want more load per scoop, get what we call a farmer's levee shovel, sort of oval at the end, sharpen it and add holes to break the suction.
The blade is a wider but could be layed down on a rack.
4LVT2_AS01.jpg

I shoveled many miles of rice levels with a modified one of these. Keep it sharp and it's a good water moccasin de-header.
For serious trips take both, so someone can help.

Last edited:

DJinCO

I have a Glock E-Tool in the compartment in the back end. It has a nice case and it really works well. Folds and can be set at an angle to use for digging like a pick-shovel. The handle also holds a nice wood saw.

I carry a short spade shovel if I am off-road.

Hunner

It's for skiiiny people!
I'm having a new sign made facing the woods behind my house that says, Because of price of Ammo no warning shots AND you are in range!!
I may also hang a well holed target there facing the house.
Headed for the range now! Gotta rotate my stock.

Last edited:

08H3

If you have a rack why not put something up there that will do some good.
No argument that the longer handle is better. I just like that I can throw it inside. I'm not a fan of putting anything up top while wheeling. Always ends up just catching branches.

is350

totally agree with hunner , i also have a full size shovel i have up on the the rack. i don't like using "little shovels"