• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Weekend Winch Project

SickStringC

Winch arrived in mail last week ...

IMG_1057.jpg

Winch mount solutions seemed weak, so I decided to come up with my own - with a little help from a friend. (Saturday)

IMG_1076.jpg

Trial and error are always an element when it comes to designing something new. We made good progress day 1. On top of finishing the mount and doing a trial install of the winch, we gave Boris' Yamaha Vulcan 900 an oil change and a tune-up, and found time to throw down some venison. The end result was an almost perfect mount with gussets that were a bit in the way of the stock D ring mount location (to be addressed next).

IMG_1080.jpg

Got back to Pflugerville ... marked off spots where D ring bolt / nut interfered with gussets and got to grinding away again. End result, winch works perfectly with stock D rings:

IMG_1081.jpgIMG_1082.jpgIMG_1083.jpg

Once stock D rings are confirmed to work, pulled off mount again, and painted it:

IMG_1084.jpg

All painted, buttoned everything back up (I'll add a picture to this thread tomorrow taken in daylight):

IMG_1100.jpgIMG_1102.jpg

Project done. Space left for a brush guard if I add one later ... :thumbs:

Last edited:

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Looks great, but will ask if you re-enforced the plates that the d-ring bolts thread into? Those plates are very thin... and bend easily, especially of doing a winch on a vehicle lower than yours (down a hill).

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
Sweet winch mount man! I'm working on doing the reverse of your mount and hiding the winch inside the the upper front bumper part and see yours is driving me nutz to finish mine lol.

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Looks great, but will ask if you re-enforced the plates that the d-ring bolts thread into? Those plates are very thin... and bend easily, especially of doing a winch on a vehicle lower than yours (down a hill).

I had the exact same concern, but I think the thick plate of the winch plate should give it the rigidity it needs. Especially because the plate runs across both mounts, therefore doubling its strength.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Chris (CP Photo) had his winch plate, very similar to this one here, installed and he was winching someone up a hill (rubble trouble) and those factory installed backer plates (where the D-rings bolts screw into) bent downward from the top. He and Brodie (Broken) developed a super duty plate that is welded onto the back of the factory plate and onto the end of the tube frame to reinforced the design.

That's the reinforced plate from the back welded to the frame.
IMG00107-20100325-1614.jpg

This is a front view, you can see the smaller GM factory plate welded to the reinforced plate....(NOTE: that real skinny plate hanging there is part of the anti-lift feature that came out in 2008 H3s.)
IMG00106-20100325-1613.jpg

It is a good idea if you ever use the winch, but not my vehicle. I was just curious.:thumbs:

SickStringC

I had the exact same concern, but I think the thick plate of the winch plate should give it the rigidity it needs. Especially because the plate runs across both mounts, therefore doubling its strength.

Yeah, i'm not worried about it. I've actually never had my HUMMER stuck *knock on wood*. Should I need it, I am confident it will hold up. We used really heavy, thick steel plate.

Nicely done!!!! Any chance you can shoot me the specs for that mount, I am getting ready to build one and get a winch on mine.

We reverse engineered THIS. PM me if you want me to actually send measurements - you may want the gussets a little closer together than I did so you don't need to cut out for the recovery hooks. I'm not concerned with the strength with the cuts, however and actually like the look as-is.

Thanks for all the positive feedback! I'm happy with it!!