• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Power Steering Cooler Mount Location?

HIROLA

So, this weekend, I'm planning on replacing my front diff and power steering components. My replacement power steering hoses came with an attached cooler which I don't believe I currently have in the I5 H3 (haven't checked yet). I’m pretty sure the Alphas have this cooler from the factory. Do any of you know where this cooler is mounted and can someone post up some pics?

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Been awhile, but I do not believe any H3 had a power steering cooler. If I was to install one, I would install it next to the radiator or in front of the radiator/condenser. If needs airflow to cool the fluid. But have never heard of a problem with H3s overheating the fluid; unlike H2s which are infamous for PS problems if the vehicle is off-roaded.

HIROLA

Digging a litter deeper, I found a pic of the two P/S hose configurations. It looks like the cooler is in place of that other item in the pic w/o the cooler. So, hopefully everything just bolts back up in the original position.

GM #20934199 w/o cooler
a20792013125730b42a38a_l.jpg

GM #20934200 w/ cooler
h3_hose_20934200.jpg

4speedfunk

Hmmm. I had no idea such a critter was available. Still...I never had any PS issues, and my truck came with the #199 hose set. But what the hell...since you got it apart and you're replacing it...why not upgrade? Very cool to learn this.

You got the AAM-7?

HIROLA

I did, thank you! Everything looks good (from the outside). It is all ready to go in the truck this weekend so i'll let you know if it solves my issues.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting. I haven't had any PS fluid issues either but if I needed a replacement I would want the one with the cooler. Good to know. Do you happen to know if it cost more than the OEM unit or was it the only one available?

HIROLA

When searching through the catalog at GM parts direct, the one with the cooler is the one it brought up. However, now that I have both part numbers, it looks like ~$12 difference between the two. #200 being more expensive.

HIROLA

This weekend was a very...very long weekend. I replaced the front diff, rack and pinion, P/S pump, pulley and hoses. But, to finish off this thread, I replaced my stock hoses with a set that had the cooler included. The hoses I pulled off were even different from the two previously attached pictures. There was no cooler and no black cylinder. The hoses have 2 screws in them to attach them to the cross member. One of the screws on the new set went in the same hole that one came out of. However, the other screw was in a different location. All was good because someone at GM had apparently planned for this. There are 3 little holes on top of the cross member right in front of the rack and pinion. Luckily, that 3rd hole was in the right spot with a welded nut on the bottom to accommodate the screw's change in position.

The below picture is of it mounted and in place. The transmission cooler lines coming off the radiator were coming in contact with the fins so I had to rig up some zip ties to pull the hoses away a little. Otherwise, it looks alright. We will see how long it takes until it is caked in mud. Speaking of mud, that 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] hole which went unused for the past 6+ years was also caked in mud. So, I recommend trying to clean that out a little prior to attempting to screw in the hoses.

IMAG1042.jpg

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
ordering my new PS line will I have any concerns with the cooler? I know you said the fins were close to the trans cooler lines. Pushing the trans cooler lines up makes it closer to the fan and pulleys right I wouldnt wanna destroy those lines and be left stranded

Also, Can I install my rack first then my PS line? It is leaking and I dont wanna damage the new rack am I best off to wait?

HIROLA

So, by "pushing the lines up" i pretty much just zip tied the lines together. That pulled the one line away from the cooler fines. It is not near the fan or anything which will damage them.

As for installing everything, I replaced the Rack/Pump/Lines/Fluid all at once. It was easier (from my perspective) to hook up the lines to the rack while the rack was out but I suppose you could contort your hands and tools to unscrew the little screw that holds the lines on the rack. Also, I pumped as much of the P/S fluid out of the reservoir prior to pulling the hoses.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
ordered my PS line w/ cooler from gmpartshouse the other day! Do I have to worry about mud and water intrusion? I mean it sits kinda low, also what bolts do I need for it to bolt into the factory nuts that are welded into the crossmember?

Just trying to decide if I should replace the original PS pump thats still on the truck. Its 7 years old w/ 103k miles on it. When the dealer looked at it they said it was just a PS line leak that needed to be fixed but nothing about the pump. I guess I will leave it for now but am concerned about starving the rack and pinion from fluid if the PS pump isnt doing its job.

HIROLA

I got mine from GMpartsdirect. It came with all of the screws/bolts that you need. There are only 2... The pump was an easy enough replacement. I was at 100k w/ the concern that the pump was on its way out. Something just didnt seem right. You just need to borrow a P/S pully remover/installer from AdvancedAuto (or some other place). Instructions say to remove the air box but I didn't have to worry about that.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Was there a wait from them? I ordered mine from the vendor on here, gmpartshouse and it was more pricy then gmpartsdirect but I did it to support a vendor. The guy I spoke to had an attitude and said it will be a 4-5 days before he can ship it out to me because he didn't have any in stock and is waiting on getting one. I don't mind the wait but was kinda bugged that I, the customer, felt like I was being an inconvenience to him. The customer should come first especially when I did nothing but be nice.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I can't speak to your experience, but it's not uncommon for them to have to order parts, especially less common ones like this. gmpartshouse.com has always warned me about these ordering delays. I appreciate you supporting them. I noticed that their prices are sometimes higher, but that their shipping tends to be lower and the net delivered price to other dealer sites is generally close where either site can be lower.

Zach

Mall Crawler
Was there a wait from them? I ordered mine from the vendor on here, gmpartshouse and it was more pricy then gmpartsdirect but I did it to support a vendor. The guy I spoke to had an attitude and said it will be a 4-5 days before he can ship it out to me because he didn't have any in stock and is waiting on getting one. I don't mind the wait but was kinda bugged that I, the customer, felt like I was being an inconvenience to him. The customer should come first especially when I did nothing but be nice.

When they have to order parts, depending on which warehouse it comes from and the size and how it's shipped from GM can take anywhere from a day to a week or so. In my experience, gmpartsdirect sells roughly at cost plus maybe 5%. But makes up for it in the shipping. Some of their shipping prices are higher than giraffe's nuts. That how they make their money. Gmpartshouse is usually at a wholesale price less the added shipping.