• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Dye plastic any color you want (grill, door handls, mirrors)

ArtHummer

After looking at possibility of removing the chrome of some parts (you can read about it in this thread :link:) I found that some people are left with blunt looking plastic finish(not really pure black). So, I started look at the possibilities to dye the plastic black or, if possible, to any other color (possibly to match the color of your truck). The product that I found made my jaw drop...
HOW COME I DID NOT KNOW ABOUT IT BEFORE!?!?!?!?

The company Parasolinc makes plastic, leather and rubber dyes that can be easily sprayed on on anything you want, giving you the preferred color and leaving the ORIGINAL finish. The advantages of the dyeing over the painting is that day penetrates in to the plastic leaving the original finish and is chip and scratch proof (you will have to scratch it very hard to get to original plastic color). And, you can even dye black plastic in to a white color. Here is the QA of their site...

Q: Will VARIBOND peel, crack or chip off?
A: No, VARIBOND is specially formulated to recolour ABS and many other plastics within minutes. For TPO and EPDM plastics you need to use our special primer polyprep before spraying Bumpercoat on to the surface. Bumpercoat actually bonds to the surface to assure its permanence and silk finish.

Q: Can I colour vinyl and soft plastic surfaces with VARIBOND?
A: Yes, you can colour soft plastic & vinyl surfaces such as dashes and door panels etc. with VARIBOND.

[video=youtube_share;3zJYrmYJFRU]http://youtu.be/3zJYrmYJFRU[/video]

I definitely can see dyeing the grill, door handles and mirrors to match the color of your track or give it nice black finish. I will definitely get a can of the black aerosol dye to restore the look of the cowl and other trims on my wife's old car. Or dye the grill on my H3, if I will decide to get read of the chrome.

Mmmm... that makes me wish I had leather sits. Dye the center of it in red color would've made look sweet.

Varibond.png

Plastikprep.png
Plastikprep2.png

Last edited:

ArtHummer

Plastidip a temporary solution, you can peel it of or scratch it off. This thing permanent and scratch proof. you can even dye your leather seats with it and it will not come off.

Peep

Plastidip a temporary solution, you can peel it of or scratch it off. This thing permanent and scratch proof. you can even dye your leather seats with it and it will not come off.

Did you try it yet, and what's it like in the sun?