• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

06 H3's Squeakin H3 Build

cbetts

NERD!!!
Squeaky is the Steve Austin of H3’s and Chris is the Oscar Goldman of the fab world.
And yes I know vehicles are she’s and Steve Austin is a male, but it’s California and and squeky’s had some modifications done need I say anymore.
Keep up the great work and maybe when you are down here over the holidays I can run up and say hi.
So, she is Jamie Sommers then!

Sent from my Pokémon GO appliance using Tapatalk

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Thanks guys! I am far from a pro but I am trying to improve.

UPDATE: This bitch is running and driving!!!!

WOW, it feels SOOOO much better! It still drove very nice on the road but it's at another level now.

Much less body roll and the front sway bar isn't even hooked up yet. It could be a combo of the anti wrap bar acting as an additional sway bar? More link separation on the 3 link? I thought the springs and shocks were softer by the bounce test but it has less body roll and feels more compliant. I am stoked with on road improvements. Again, if I left things alone it still worked...I put over 30k miles on the SAS without fear of driving it at freeway speeds but its just that much better now. I know I said that already but I am excited! :D
So what have I done since?

UpivKPnl.jpg

Well with my t case doubler not done and waiting on parts I did get my full refund from behemoth. He acknowledged he went over his timeline on my one off project and refunded my money. He did agree to complete it and I will pay him when its finished...With that said I got an S10 clocking ring I wanted to proceed with more ground clearance and I already cut out my old crossmember. The S10 ring works and I ended up clocking it 20 degrees (10 shown in the pic) I did cut the ear off the case for more clearance and took a BFH to hammer in the floor ever so slightly. I used my spare case and emptied it out so it was light to take it in and out while messing with the clocking.

I also put a fresh chain and front output gear in it since they were trashed.

si5clPCl.jpg

Here is the crossmember I built the middle notch is for the crossmember mount. Since its tucked up I could move the crossmember up an additional inch. The other notch is for the driveshaft. You can see there is more angle on the driver side then the pass side and that's for exhaust clearance.

A pic of my weld...

dObsCONl.jpg

Here you can see how much higher the t case is then the old torsion bar crossmember. The gains were a little over 2inches. When you put in the perspective of 2 more inches of lift for clearance without the actually downside of more lift I think its pretty significant! I will modify the torsion bar crossmember when I do the doubler.

gG94nAWl.jpg

After that I washed it in the driveway and drove it...WOW! Much better, OEM Take out trans shifts much better then that yahoo who "rebuilt" my trans. suspension feels great!
So its driveable but not wheelable just yet. What's left? Exhaust...I had to cut part of it out for the clocked t case. I used that flexible exhaust crap to temporarily get it back on the road.

When I pulled the motor I snagged the e locker wire and ripped it out of the locker :mad3: I have a new stator showing up tomorrow and I need a t case skid. I will try to get snow wheeling next weekend, then head down south for the holidays and then off to sand hollow Utah for new years!

RamRod

I'd like to know more about this s10 clocking ring!

What all was required in order to make this all work?

I plan on changing up my trans skid since it hangs so low, and before doing any of that I wanna know what else could be done at the same time for even greater gains!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

4speedfunk

Love to see some more pics of the sway bar. I’ve found several FJ-60 bars for sale...all look different from each other and different from yours.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I will work on that CJ!

So, I got the hummer finished up and took it on a snow wheeling trip for my shakedown. I went out with my brother in his JK on 40s and junkyard ton's and then my buddy in his SAS Chev. We went up to MET and since it was our first time we did go further then we were supposed to. :confused: Sorry! We didn't know or see any signs. It wont happen again.

Driving to the trail.

9rF30I3l.jpg

Snow wheeling

JQQDqVgl.jpg

NjnQibFl.jpg

I am new to snow wheeling so it was fun and learning the ropes added for more fun.

yUQXMcIl.jpg

4a9kFlyl.jpg

After that I went over some small things and took off to so cal for the holidays. Drove it 350 miles down south and all was well. I did notice at some point that my rear Eaton wheel bearing got loose! I was fearful it chewed up the spindle but luckily it didn't. I pulled it apart, replaced the bearings, center punched and loc tited the bearing surface and well over 1k miles later its still happy.

Here she is back in her old home town.

CJElBZLl.jpg

I ran some errands for my mom and ran into someone at target who was checking it out. He saw the UA stickers and is a big UA fan, we had a good 30 min chat. It was super cool!
After Christmas we hung out for a few days and took off to Sand Hollow on the 29th.

fyjLbQRl.jpg

kUymrWBl.jpg

My buddy flopped on an off shoot line on Nasty Half. I was put in a tough position to get him to winch back over. I was all off camber but I got to where I needed to be and flopped him back over via the winch.

reovQHTl.jpg

This kind of shows where I had to go. Up above him and not pictured is where I had to position myself which was way off camber.

yrtaLsRl.jpg

8OFeyiZl.jpg

My buddy in his land cruiser

HpAddxvl.jpg

S96dqyAl.jpg

9cyJnpSl.jpg

Sleep wasn't too great, 2:30AM a gnarly wind storm rolled in then snowed.

The tent felt like it would fly away. Not much stuck around but the wind was terrible!

gGB6pyIl.jpg

eMdajEhl.jpg

On the 31st we wheeled in the snow and due to ice, snow and sand I had to bump it! The video never does justice but it was an under cut ledge in soft sand with no traction on either end. Only 2 of us made the ledge and my buddy was honking the horn for excitement.

[video=youtube;06G_cpg9duM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06G_cpg9duM[/video]

Later that day I aired up and drove 400+ miles back to so cal. Then on the 1st I drove back up to Sacramento. It was cool to bump and wheel speed an obstacle like that in the morning and drive 400 miles later that day. The anti wrap bar works!!!

Just over 1,700 miles round trip between nor cal, so cal, sand hollow and driving around town. a few miles from home my motor started sounding like ****! Like a bad rod bearing but it had oil and oil pressure. It is an AFM motor but the AFM is disabled. Time for tear down before KOH :mad3:

vOEaRasl.jpg

Last edited:

RamRod

Oh man! Hope you can get that taken care of before Hammers!

Great pics btw!

gfbh3t

What is your thoughts now on the metalcloak springs? My ford bronco springs are pretty stiff, good for the road with no sway bar.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
So far so good but I need some more time on them! I will keep you posted.

As you may have seen on social media. 55k miles on that 5.3 and chipped a piston!!! Unheard of and everyone I talk to is amazed.

6.2L is ordered and less then a month till KOH

4speedfunk

Probably broke a chunk off from the ring grove up. That happens a lot on boosted motors. The ring gets hot from friction & combustion and tries to expand. Once it closes the gap, it has no more room to grow and POP goes the piston. The loose piece usually bounces around and scars up everything else in that cylinder. Bummer.

Cletus does it right!...
https://youtu.be/XP9mrRr5cNE

Last edited:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
6.2 from an 08 caddy showed up 2 days ago. 403 HP/417 Ft lbs of torque. It’s a nice jump over 300/300. Been on the road...should get home tonight and start Friday afternoon. Motor must be in and running Sunday night. It will run but not great with the 5.3 tune...Leave Monday. Get home Thursday. Dyno tune Thursday afternoon. Leave Friday morning for a 1000 mile road trip. Shocks were out getting revalved...those will go in tomorrow probably. Gotta wire up my rock lights too...

Room for error? Zero.

RamRod

6.2 from an 08 caddy showed up 2 days ago. 403 HP/417 Ft lbs of torque. It’s a nice jump over 300/300. Been on the road...should get home tonight and start Friday afternoon. Motor must be in and running Sunday night. It will run but not great with the 5.3 tune...Leave Monday. Get home Thursday. Dyno tune Thursday afternoon. Leave Friday morning for a 1000 mile road trip. Shocks were out getting revalved...those will go in tomorrow probably. Gotta wire up my rock lights too...

Room for error? Zero.
I was just checking this thread earlier in the day to see if I missed any updates!

You got no time to be updating us by the sounds of it! I hope it all goes smoothly for ya!

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Got the 6.2 running at 7:45 this morning. Now at the airport 2hr 15 min later. Still need to do intake, swap oil pan, dumb dipstick broke. So ill swap the H3 one over when I do the pan. One shock is in....other still needs to go in. Dyno time at 2:30 Thursday. I land at 10:20am. I might try to fly out late Wednesday night.

VVT is wired in.

My fiancé is a saint for not wanting to murder me being gone a lot lately and then wrenching all day and night when I’m home. I will more then voluntarily take a break after this. [emoji16]

RamRod

Got the 6.2 running at 7:45 this morning. Now at the airport 2hr 15 min later. Still need to do intake, swap oil pan, dumb dipstick broke. So ill swap the H3 one over when I do the pan. One shock is in....other still needs to go in. Dyno time at 2:30 Thursday. I land at 10:20am. I might try to fly out late Wednesday night.

VVT is wired in.

My fiancé is a saint for not wanting to murder me being gone a lot lately and then wrenching all day and night when I’m home. I will more then voluntarily take a break after this. [emoji16]
Keep up the hard work and buy your fiancè something nice once this is all over!!! ;)