Welcome to the H4O - HUMMER 4x4 Off Road.
Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 29353637383940 LastLast
    Mud Terrain
    Thanks
    Looking at your week of volunteering I would say a beer and a nap would be my top priority. But then again, I’m old and you’re young. Looks like you had a great time and did a Lot of great work out there.

a.k.a. "The Jackal"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,099 Times in 1,156 Posts
    Time to bump this....

I got home from KOH tired and put the Hummer away for a week or so. With a list of things to do it was time to get to work.

I had bad outside tire wear on the passenger front and on the way home from KOH I had the truck pulling to the passenger. I had to keep correcting it.

I pulled the kingpin bushings and springs.

The springs may have been ok, it was tough to tell, the bushing openings was closer together on the bottom then top and the detent on it was ground off. I replaced the bushings and ditched the springs for Crane's poly spring eliminator.

Pulled the rear diff cover. I haven't looked inside in about 3.5 years. I figured it was time to just check in on things, everything was perfect, so it went back together.

rebuilt a currie johnny joint, I found a D60 hub socket and a socket with some all thread work really well!

Pulled the 205 doubler AGAIN, since it had crappy fork bushings in it from the thrash down in so cal and added a site tube.

I also repacked my D60 wheel bearings since I haven't touched those in over a year or more.

So just general maintenance stuff for the most part.

then COVID-19 happened and my travel for work stopped. I had plans to go wheeling this particular weekend and did anyways regardless of COVID-19 so I got to go wheeling in Idaho for the first time!
    Squeaky3: 06 H3 ALPHA D70 front/Eaton HO72 rear 5.13 gears, custom crossmember for long arms, lockers, 4:1 T-case, v8 swap, hybrid cage, Warn 12k Custom bumpers....do it all vehicle

"H3 front axles are like drunk cheerleaders....just use em until they get mouthy...then toss em and get another." -anonymous

a.k.a. "The Jackal"

Thanks
    The joke with my wheeling group of buddies is that squeaky is the big bitch since I wheel with jeep TJ's, and Toyota's. Then one buddy got into an FJ80 that he cut the back off of and "big bitch mafia" became a thing.

Anyways, when I met up with this group I quickly realized I am average bitch or even little bitch. Any rig near my size was on 44's or bigger. Any buggy was on 39-42's and then there was a TJ and a Toyota on 37s and 38s.

First trail had no issues, 2nd trail is a down and back up trail. I had issues going down, as I was crawling down and a rock slipped and I almost rolled.

2nd trail

I think this is the rock that I slipped off of.

then on the way back up I kept popping out of low range in my doubler box. :mad3:

Chris Bowman of Bowman Trans was there and realized the shifter cable throw was barely enough and the shifter design had enough play to let it out. We disconnected the shifter cable, ditched the shift lever, got it in low and kept moving. More on that later.
    Squeaky3: 06 H3 ALPHA D70 front/Eaton HO72 rear 5.13 gears, custom crossmember for long arms, lockers, 4:1 T-case, v8 swap, hybrid cage, Warn 12k Custom bumpers....do it all vehicle

"H3 front axles are like drunk cheerleaders....just use em until they get mouthy...then toss em and get another." -anonymous

a.k.a. "The Jackal"

Thanks
    Then we ran a 3rd trail, aired up and went home. It was a fun day! It was cool to see such big rigs, one on 54's, one on 50's, one on 44's one or two on 42's. The more I go out the more I am glad I have the cage and bumpers set up the way I do. If I get body damage I get body damage, I have before but I also don't go looking for it either and the cage saved the grille, the cage saved the body multiple times.

On the way home the doubler kept popping out of gear.

The doubler was leaking fluid, got hot and took out the shift fork bushings, at this point I just about had it. I spoke to Chris Bowman and sent the 205 off to him.

I guess the 205 doubler isn't as cool as an Eaton HO72. That thing was 60 something years old, I threw it in with factory 5.14s and ran it with no issues for years. This ****ing thing was just problem after problem.

Bowman could see my frustrations with it on the trail and said he would fix it up if I wanted him to. I normally and have in the past had issues with a component and continue to mess with it until I figure it out myself. I was just burnt out on it and he has built many 205 doublers for big mountain havoc style rigs that have triple the horsepower and tires in the 60+in range. I was burnt out on it and sent it to him.

I'll be honest, it was a combo of things. I made mistakes,, I threw it together quick, multiple times and in non ideal sitautions, so there were some things that were my fault, there were also other things that were questionable about behemoth that amplified things that were not ideal on my end. Other setups with tighter tolerances wouldn't have cared, then also the 205 was in need of a rebuild, unlike my HO72. :grinpimp:

Anyways, he went through it with me and I learned a good amount.

I put it back in the rig, he recommended I make a bracket to stop flex between the t case and the trans tailhousing because they are known to crack, so I did that. He also recommended I ditch the rear poly mount I have off the rear output and go to rubber since I have an OE rubber mount at the trans.

(ignore the poly mount, that was just to prop it up off the floor for the picture)

I ended up leaving the rear poly mount for now. I test drove it and it leaked from the shifter shaft, I found out an o-ring was missing, that fixed it, then it had a slow leak from the shifter housing bolts, I pulled those out, put sealant on them, put them back in and will test drive it after it cures for 24 hours.

Let's hope this stupidity is behind me. My most hated modification on my rig so far has been the 205 doubler, it kills mpg, no I don't care about mpg, I care about range when driving 500+ miles to a trail or wheeling event and my range took a decent hit with this gear driven case, then obviously all the issues I have had.

Bowman redesigned the shifter arm to it cant have play in it, he filed and cleaned up a lot of things in the shift fork to tighten up tolerances as well. HOPEFULLY THIS IS THE END!

a.k.a. "The Jackal"

Thanks
    So I am working from home during COVID-19 and we aren't doing stuff on the weekends so plenty of work is being done. I also travel for work quite a bit and now that I am home every night the Hummer is getting attention and I am doing projects that have been put off to the side. I knew this year I would get these projects done since the past few years have been crazy moving 2 times and 2 UA's but now the projects are getting done at an accelerated rate.

Wiring:
    I had the blue seas system for about 6 years. It was great but it needed to be redone. I still had wiring in there from my roof rack days with the lights up top and wiring for my rear 10 bolt e locker I ditched many many years ago. I had bought 2 trigger controllers a 2-3 years ago. which are wirelessly controlled switches so no switches have to go through the cab.

I can also control it with an app on my phone! I got my rock lights rewired up so that was nice too. I am so happy with it and it was MUCH needed.

Rear Suspension:
    I was on my second set of factory shackles, they are 3.5in from bolt hole to bolt hole, the shortest I could find was 4in so I bought those and figured I would deal with 1/4in lift.

I also replaced my rear shocks since I snapped a shock shaft on the last run. I just got generic Bilsteins for now but I would like to get some nice shocks at some point.

Finally got my shifter knobs!

Steering:
    I had wallowed out the factory knuckle holes, the large end of the taper is larger then the 5/8 bolt so I think that probably made it worse over the years. I got weld washers and put them in top and bottom.

Since I put in a new tie rod down in so cal (during the KOH thrash) I had my steering pull to the passenger side (which was the side that had the bad outside tire wear) so I made an alignment tool like Bleepin Jeep

I made the holes a tad larger hoping that it would fit 8x170 since my brother had SD60 axles.

above is what I copied. I think it made a big difference in accuracy compared to 2 people holding a tape measure from outside of the tire to outside of the tire.

I noticed I had way too much toe-in and may have caused that outside tire wear but only caused it on one side? I realigned it and now it's pulling to the right. My steering wheel isn't perfectly centered so maybe its the box trying to go back to center. I will find alignment between the 2 measurements I had from then and now and adjust the drag link.

Doubler:
    I hear the doublers like to puke fluid (according to Chris) so I added a catch can on the firewall so anything that pukes out will run back in when parked.

a.k.a. "The Jackal"

Thanks
    Storage:

I had my hi lift mounted off my roof rack back in the day. I didn't like having the weight up high but I think a 60" hi lift is the size I need and I cant really store it anywhere else. I never mounted it after doing the cage and either left it at home or ratchet strapped it to the cage. If I ditch the 2nd row seats I can fit the hi lift but I want to have the 2nd row usable.

So I picked a spot.

and made some mounts

I copied by buddy's idea which was to take a nut and weld 1/4 rod to it so you have a giant wing nut that doesn't require tools to get it on and off.

Finally a hi lift where I can get it on and off with ease and its hard mounted for safety.

The storage in the H3 is meh...I feel there is a lot of wasted space with panels that hide dead space. I also tried to come up with a solution that can serve multiple purposes. I do lots of different types of wheeling and I don't trailer my rig and I have decided to try and keep my 2nd row open for seating as much as possible. I do wheeling close to home, where I carry trail stuff, I do wheeling far from home but have a base camp. Where I have food, clothes and spares I may not carry locally but can leave at camp and then lastly I do point A to B type wheeling like the rubicon where I need to carry all the **** with me.

I started searching and I found out there is dead space in the fender well and dead space doing down the fender towards the 2nd row.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnFu...ature=emb_logo

So I cut out the cubby hole and saved an entire action packer worth of crap! I went snow wheeling in northern CA and realized with only 3 rigs there could have been many instances where we needed 250+ feet of rope to recover. I had some additional rope laying around and started carrying it. For how light it is I figured stuffing it down into the fender well was worth its weight in gold some day. I also put my welding stuff in the cubby area. It does take a little bit more effort to get to now but like I said in the video, if we need the welding stuff or 250 feet of winch rope, were probably in a ****ed up situation and we wont be going anywhere fast so having it take an extra minute or two to get to will be worth the additional storage gain.

I just mocked up some stuff to see how I want to build a little rear cargo rack for multiple wheeling scenarios. I will be using 1/2 square tubing to keep it light and take up less space.

The end goal is to be able to get anything I need without having to move 12 other things to get to it like I had to in the past (except the winch and rope stuff in the cubby.)

That's where I am at. The thread is now up to date and I will continue to spend my weekends and evenings trying to better my rig in what normally would go much slower given the virus conditions we have that has halted society.

a.k.a. "The Jackal"

Thanks
    I started making the rear cargo rack.

The requirement was LIGHT! I know overlanders make cool but heavy cargo setups that are heavy and have drawers and a bunch of stuff. I wanted this to be as light as possible and as small as possible to maximize room and use the interior panels as additional structure to keep it stout like seen below.

I also added a rear light for desert wheeling at night so people can see me.

With the cargo rack done and the doubler fixed I went to go try it out and had a great day out wheeling in Idaho.

I didn't get any pics of me but it seems my doubler isses were resolved!

I did notice Idaho trails are a bit tighter then the hammers. I am not sure if its because of the U4 cars being so big that have naturally made hammer trails wider but this seems to be a more common theme.

Got the fender fixed up when I got home. The "pillows" as I call them take a beating and try to keep the actual sheetmetal clean.

a.k.a. "The Jackal"

Thanks
    After that I went to CA to pick up a 2000 Ford F550. I still plan to drive my rig to and from the trails but for certain trips tent camping is getting old, especially at KOH. I spend 10 days out there this year and the weather is bi polar as hell. One day its 60 mph winds, then rain, then 80 degrees out, then 30 out then snow, then sun. The weather is tough to camp in for more then a week at a time. The Hummer wouldn't tow a small camper trailer well, big RVs that can tow the hummer are expensive as hell so I went this route. The plan is on specific trips like KOH I will tow the Hummer on the flat bed and then pull a 20-25ft bumper pull camper trailer behind it. That seemed to be the cheapest route.

The truck is a 2000 Ford F550 7.3/4R100 auto trans, 2wd (for now) crew cab 201in wheelbase with a 16ft knapehide flat bed that someone added things to over the years, Dana S135 with factory 4.88s (14.25in Ring gear!!!) The truck has 386k on it and much to my surprise even high mileage F550s with the 7.3 were going for a decent amount. CA is banning F450 and F550s before 2008 in Dec. They are no longer legal and paperweights so I picked this up for 5k. It needs work but I knew that. I did 1500 miles on it and towed my brothers JK back to ID and issues were minimal. I had an original HPOP o ring leak but I replaced it and it made it back to ID no problem.

It is the max tow package so total GCWR in stock trim is 30k lbs vs 26k. the rear suspension is stout! I loaded my brothers 6100lb JK on the back and it squatted less then 1.5in! The motor felt it was there but the suspension and brakes didn't. I already did a CNC Stage 2 HPOP, new LPOP, new HPOP Lines with crossover line. Next up is Stage 1.5 180/30 Injectors, injector cups, the valve gasket harness (seems like a dumb design) KC Turbo, 4in downpipe, 5in exhaust, new up pipes and a tuner. Those mods I have seen on KC turbos facebook dyno over 900 lb ft to the wheels and 400 hp compared to 235/500.

I was contemplating an Allison 6 speed swap from CA Conversions but they are expensive! The real benefit to me is the .61 overdrive compared to .71 what I currently have. with 4.88s and 31's I rev at about 2500 rpm at 67. I will go to 33s and 2500 rpm will get me to 70 mph. That is the one downside I see with this thing and while I don't like the highway rpm I want to keep the 4.88s for when I am at low speeds around town. I will probably drop the 4R100 off at Bowman's trans have them Chris build it to handle the new power, swap a 4wd output shaft and slap a t case in there. I will swap in a front axle at a later point.

The overall goal is to have base camp setup at that truck for longer trips. I will put bedside boxes on it, carry all my diff setup tools, a generator, bring my plasma cutter, welder, etc. so whatever happens to me and my friends we have the closest thing to a garage on the lakebed or whatever other base camp type setups we have.

About 27 ft long but she fits!

I did have the LPOP fail when moving my parents from their rental house while they waited for the new home in ID to be finished but squeaky came to the rescue.

Got ID plates, I have a SQUEKY3 ID plate on order!

It was took a lot of work to make that plate look like that.

ID Engine legal swap approval, of course I live in 1 of the 2 counties that have smog in the entire state...

Then got to work on my brothers JK. I shaved the 14 bolt, replaced the johnny joints in the rear suspension, new seats, new fenders, fix the AC, redid the steering, fixed his cracked factory crossmember, and more. He doesn't give it much love so I got it all fixed up and nice again.

So that is where most of the time went after I got back with the truck. He came out to celebrate 4th of July in America aka Idaho and then drove the Jeep back 500 miles to CA with no issues!

Next stop for me Rubicon! (next post)

a.k.a. "The Jackal"

Thanks
    Next trip was a 1100 miles round trip to the Rubicon and back! It was a good test for the doubler since it was working offroad I wanted to make sure the problems would stay away with prolonged highway speeds between 70-80 mph.

I had 2 passengers, my wife and my sister with me. Here's a shot of all her loaded up waiting on my sister.

Space and organization wise this was the best I have ever been! I had our pillows on the top of the rack, all tools, clothes and cooler to hold food and drinks in the rack. Easy to get to most of it without having to remove other things which was a first!

CO2 tank between the rear seat and rack which had it wedged and couldn't move which was great then our camping stuff in a bag strapped on the roof with 2 gas cans. While I can run the rubicon with plenty of spare fuel left over I always get nervous in case things don't go according to plan and I need to go get parts for someone I just like the extra fuel.

Driving near Tahoe

I have been terrible with taking pictures lately so I only have a few. It was Me, my buddy in his land cruiser on 40s, my buddy in his TJ on 39s and a willys on 35s. Unfortunately the willys broke front and rear shafts and 2 leaf springs 1.5 mile into the trail! So he turned around and went out. Other then that everyone else was pretty much problem free except I had a seizing caliper which I ziptied on the leaf spring, put a stick between the pads and drove home that way.

great campsite!

The scenery just cant be beat on the rubicon!

Only other issue I had was loose 205 rear output bearing bolts which I think they were a tad short and I got some longer ones in Lovelock, NV to fix the issue. Other then that, 1100 miles pretty much problem free, good friends, fun trail and good scenery. I am learning that from Idaho to CA is DESOLATE, southern OR and Northern NV population is minimal. If issues arise your kind of ****ed as you can go 100+ miles without access to a parts store or cell service. From so cal to the rubicon you were constantly in cell service and an exit away from parts but that's ok, ID is still better lol.

a.k.a. "The Jackal"

Thanks
    After getting back from the rubicon and replacing my caliper I got ready for a local run. This was by far the toughest run I have done out here and I think I was outgunned by most of the other rigs.

The group I went out with were great guys, 1 was a TJ buggy on 39in stickies, 1 was a built TJ on 39 in stickies, 1 was a retired U4 car on 42in stickies, 1 was an old CJ on links with 39in stickies and then a YJ on 37in PBR's but he broke on the gatekeeper and parked his rig and then myself.

These guys were all MUCH lighter then me, much narrower then me, and had a similar tire size for being a much shorter rig then myself. All of them were linked and I felt for the first time ever my rear leafs were just not putting out enough articulation.

I was the only dumbass who didn't show up on a trailer, here is a sweet crawler hauler.

Here is a rig on the first main obstacle.

The holes were deep and they flexed you out quite a bit! I don't have pics to do the size of the holes justice but it was tight as well.

As I come up to the first obstacle I wasn't even sure I could fit my fat rig through but much to my surprise I did and I did with ease! When I got up to the obstacle above I actually got up on the ledge pretty quick but being much larger it put my rear tire off the rock and it would cause me to diff, I realigned and just couldn't get myself over far enough. I ended up winching and as I came over the one ledge and onto the next it just wanted to make me roll, I winched all the way through and if I didn't I would have rolled. I think rear links would have helped there and probably being on a better line.

I wish I could have done a front dig in this situation but the damn 205 SUCKS at getting out of gear. I wish I knew that when deciding on a 205 doubler. I may have considered an atlas if I knew they were such a pain in the ass.

As we continue on we get to this tough spot

This TJ buggy was rubbing cage, it was tight!

I tried to climb over it and it worked in the beginning then didn't work, I fell off the rock and hit my half door. No worries that's what they are there for.

I got through another tough spot which I was super happy I was able to accomplish and then towards the end we come up to these fins.

A little sketchy but I made it.

As we get to the end of this section you can see the rock actually broke under me!

Which caused me to fall off the rock. We winched me up and I bent a main leaf because I was so bound, before I would have broke a t case or something, now its a leaf since the rest of the drivetrain is stout.

That was only 1/3 of the trail and I would love to get back to finish it! That trail truly kicked my ass probably worse then I have gotten my ass kicked in a long time. With that said, I feel my long time group of wheel buddies always tried trails probably tougher then what our rigs were meant for but we were in it together. I am in an odd situation with my rig. I get bored with the trails full bodied rigs wanna do but I hold up the buggy/juggy type rigs. It got me thinking. Maybe 43s would have helped. For my rig being so much bigger we were all on similar sized tires. rear links would have helped in the flexy spots and lastly weight. I will never cut up the hummer to make a buggy. This thing does its job well, driving 1000 miles, wheeling and driving home. I would buy a totaled H3 to make into a "huggy" LOL but I think I can cut a lot of weight for local trips that are less then an hour from home! No one had a spare tire, that would save 130 lbs off the furthest part on my rig. I could take out the rear seats, that is worth another 100 or so lbs. I need to finish my rear half doors, that would save me another 50 lbs. I have so much unnecessary stuff for local trips. I don't think I need my spare driveshafts for a run 30 miles from home. That would save 20 lbs? none of the rigs I went with had an extensive tool kit with them. I have so many tools that I carry I could shed 75 lbs or so. All in I think I could shed 375-400 lbs and part of that being behind the rear axle.

I have many different "trims" on my rig. Base camp trim, wheeling the trail loaded trim and maybe I need to think of a lighter trim for wheeling close to home. Overall it was fun but has me wanting more performance!

a.k.a. "The Jackal"

Thanks
    Sorry for such a delayed update. Last one was February 2020. 7 months behind! This is post #580, go to post #572 for the beginning of a 7 month update.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 06 H3 For This Useful Post:

rascole (08-13-2020), Sennin (08-14-2020)

Mud Terrain
    Thanks
    Very nice and looks you are still having LOTS OF FUN!

a.k.a. "The Jackal"

Thanks
    Hey guys!

Here for an update. I forgot my password and got behind on updates again

​I have been slowly working on the half doors.

Laying out the cut lines

I got these doors for free from an H3 that was in a fire, I do plan to paint them nicer but needed to spray it black quickly to get a visual and the charred part threw me off. I had my B pillar bar off and was uneasy on not being symmetrical with the front and back door. A few notes on why I am not symmetrical...

-I kept the front portion of the back door higher then the front portion of the front door so that the end of the front door and start of the rear door were the same height.
    -The angle of the back door cut isnt the same as the back portion of the front door because the rear door is so much shorter the arm rest would be useless unless you had the worlds shortest forearm.
    -The back portion of the door is lower then the back portion of the front door because I was trying to get the lowest possible height for the best visibility I could get. That's my reasoning, I was unsure of it at first but its growing on me.

The latch mechanism was charred and destroyed, I ordered up some new ones off of ebay and got those installed. I started skinning the top of the door, still need to finish the 1 door and do the other side. From there paint and a cushion armrest like I did on the front.

I was also asked to participate in Idaho Tuff Truck Challenge. I never intended to race or compete in this H3, it's just a trail rig but they said its more fun then competing. It is a rock course, a short course (dont wanna jump it lol) sand drag race and sled pull. I plan to drive it there like an idiot (1 hour away.) Its on the 26th of Sept. We shall see how that goes.​

a.k.a. "The Jackal"

Thanks
    ​This was about 1.5 months ago...

Got back from Idaho Tuff Truck Challenge around 10pm last night. It was local and only about 50-55 miles from my house one way.

It was a long day and I am tired! I left around 5:30 AM, once there I unpacked my rig to lighten it up as much as possible and we started with the sled pull.

There are 4 events, sled pull, short course, drag race, rock course. 40 rigs total, a 37in tire and under class, 38-43in tire class, 44+. The overall winner is usually 44+ but technically someone could win the overall 44+ class and a smaller class.

So sled pull was first.

I wasn't sure what gear to pick but ended up on doubler box in low, 205 in high, 1st gear. I had it in 1st gear but it ended up shifting into 2nd unfortunately and that really hurt me and it bogged. I had the gear selector in 1st the whole time too. It did end up downshifting back to first and let me pull the sled to the finish. Less then half of the 40 rigs completed a full pull. With the 6.2 and a heavy rig it felt at home. The sled is homebuilt and cool. It starts rolling on 4 tires and after 4 feet it drops and then your dragging it. From what I am told its somewhere around 6-7k lbs, and once it drops you can feel the dead weight.

If I can do it again next year I think I would run double low and let it shift through 1-2-3 and hold 3rd.

I finished 15th out of 40 on this overall.

Off to the 2nd event, which was definitely my most nerve-racking event was the short course. I used to jump my H3 when it was near stock. I haven't gotten it air born since the SAS back in 2014. I definitely didn't get it airborne per say but I did get 2 tires off the ground like 1 inch, so baby steps, maybe next time I will get all 4 off the ground. I was truly amazed at how some of these guys sent 8k lb rigs in the air and some rigs on leafs weren't soaring!!!

My boring pics.

Now for the crazy guys

Full size jeep on 44in PBR's. 1 tons and leafs

an old UA rig, leafs up front, linked out back.

S10 running a naturally aspirated 600 HP 6.0 with an additional 300 shot of nitrous.

As you can see I was boring. I finished 28th of 40.

It is amazing you can send this much weight into the air and not break anything.

From there we went on to the dirt drags.

I made a mistake, it was such a short drag that I should have been in 2.72 but I was in 1.96:1 I still finished decent but a learning experience. The buggy obviously beat me. I dont know if he was running nitrous but I know a lot of these guys were.

a.k.a. "The Jackal"

Thanks
    ​​

From there it was the final event of the day, the rock course. It is a random order and as the course changes it is left alone. What may be easy now can be difficult later. You go down a rock section, turn then go over a "roller" section which is a bunch of 46in military tire runflats with a telephone poll in between the hole. They are stacked, you gotta hit it hard or you wont make it. Even a rig of 54s got stuck on it if you dont carry momentum. then up the big rock course, then over some AG tires.

the 6 rigs before me were all 44+ in tires and dug big holes! I was in a tough spot.

The big rock section before the big rocks were moved by big rigs lol

I went down the small rock section with ease.

Here I am going over the runflats. I had to hit it with some good momentum but made it.

Here I am at the big rock section

Ultimately, I timed out, I got so stuck that I couldn't winch forward. Other smaller tire rigs were in a similar boat.

It was a great day and if you aren't a normal competitor but want to have fun I recommend it!

In the end I finished 22nd out of 40 and 7th out of 11 in my class.

Best of all, here I am rolling over 173k driving home in the rig I beat on all day.

​​