• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

06 H3's Squeakin H3 Build

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Well after getting the mounts done it was time to hit Cleghorn ridge. What a fun trail! After Cleghorn most left while some stayed for 2N17X. Another great trail with some challenges.

DSC00284.jpg

DSC00300.jpg

127-1.jpg

128-1.jpg

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
After the Cleghorn ridge and 2N17X run I didnt make any other So Cal runs for 2010. It didnt stop me modifying and wheeling when I had the time though.

Next thing I did was Sliders, Rocky Road sliders. I like how they stick out. They help slide around rocks and prevent honda owners from opening their door and hitting my body. They just hit the slider:)

rockyroad.jpg

1119001354.jpg

Last edited:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Next mod was put on and eventually taken out, I personally do not like this mod but will post it for future reference if someone had this idea. Diff Drop spacers. The goal was to put in these spacers to reduce the angles on the Halfshafts. I put em in and had them on for a while. I will talk about why I hate them on a future post.

1110002338.jpg

They go on top of this bolt/bushing here.

IMG_4821.jpg

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I continued to wheel with these on and originally had no issues, I was happy with them. My only complaint was that the front diff had issues fitting with the skid on even with the skid spacers provided. I dealt with it and just had to be careful of the clearance by the skid

I broke in the diff drop spacers and rocky roads on a trail called Dry Canyon Trail in Frazier Park. Very fun!! Will be in the next post.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
This was my first larger setup run without any hummer guys. It was definitely an eye opener for me. Being a new wheeler I was lucky to have the safety net of the hummer guys guiding me through the trail safely. Here I was on my own. I had little help spotting and the spotting wasnt too effective compared to Craig and the so cal bunch. I also suffered my first trail damage here :whaa:

This group didnt take many pics...lol I only have pics of the damage.

IMG_4868.jpg

IMG_4869.jpg

IMG_4870.jpg

Broke in the sliders!

IMG_4874.jpg

First time for rock rash!

IMG_4873.jpg

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
After this day I would say I was pretty lost. I got cheered on for trail damage by the jeep guys. They almost wanted to see a hummer get damage. There was one guy in particular I didnt care for. He wouldnt even shake my hand because I wasnt in a jeep. There is a difference between joking and being a down right *******. With the so cal hummer guys we can joke, pick on each other and in the end we dont take it personally. Not with this guy. After the trail I really started to fall in love with the IFS. I thought it had to be tossed away but a run without the guidance of SoCal Hummers it performed well. At the end of that trail there was a slick muddy rocky climb. The guy who was an ass was walking away to get his winch cable out. By the time he turned back I was up the climb :) That was a good feeling.

Ahh! Found some pics of this trail on facebook

1111.jpg

1112.jpg

1113.jpg

1114.jpg

1115.jpg

1116.jpg

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
After the run my skid was beat up pretty bad. I had a custom made diff skid made. It is 3/16 instead of the stock skid.

2011-01-10_11-10-18_851.jpg

2011-01-10_11-10-44_320.jpg

Last edited:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
This post has no pics....I went on a local trail after school and before work...BAD IDEA!! I went to drinkwater flats with someone I met in class who wheels an isuzu trooper. He led and all was fine. We went on an offshoot trail with a steep climb. He couldnt make it up so I tried, no luck. Then he took a running start and he failed. I took a running start hit a rock bounced and said goodbye to my halfshaft and front diff. First breakdown :( I ended up replacing it in my driveway. I learned alot doing my own work in the driveway. It was a good experience to get under the truck. Months later I realized something...I continued to research and pushed to learn more about the H3 and other 4x4s. I realized that the diff drop spacers had something to do with my failure. They wore out my diff mount bushings and put stress on my crossmember diff bushing. It put it at an angle and put stress on that POS. Was it my fault for the breakdown? YES of course, it was a dumb move but the diff spacers did contribute. As you push your 3 the diff spacers put stress and cant hold up to the punishment you put it through.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Well it was a nice site to come home from class and see this sitting at the door! I stalled and didnt buy a new diff right away. If I didnt procrastinate I would of had it right away, I waited though and buy the time I ordered the diff was on a national backorder. FML. I waited for weeks and thanks to zach I found this diff off of a wrecked H3. This was thought to be the CI one but wasnt :whaa: At this point I was just happy to install it and get back on the road. I was literally in a depressed state without having the hummer drivable.

2011-02-16_15-13-32_114.jpg

2011-02-16_15-18-08_640.jpg

I installed it that night with a few friends and it worked perfect. No weird noises :woot:

BTW who is a fan of the smell of gear oil??? IM NOT!

Sennin

Well after getting the mounts done it was time to hit Cleghorn ridge. What a fun trail! After Cleghorn most left while some stayed for 2N17X. Another great trail with some challenges.

127-1.jpg

128-1.jpg

Is that really the angle to be traversed, or was that just an optical illusion. it looks insane

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Cbetts took this picture. He said the camera angle helped make it look worse but this was still a very off camber situation

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

HUMMER INVESTMENTS

[o O IIIIIIII O o]

DSC00284.jpg

DSC00300.jpg

127-1.jpg

128-1.jpg

Cbetts took this picture. He said the camera angle helped make it look worse but this was still a very off camber situation

I still cant believe how insane that looks! Something to try definetaly! Any H1's do that?

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I believe ronb did this. He has the H1 on 39.5s. I was in the back of the group and he was further up so I don't have pics of him doing this maybe Zach or serge do

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Next major mod was the Gobi rack, I got the rack from tim at expedition hardware. Real nice guy and I recommend him for getting you parts. When I was deciding on my next mod I chose a rack because I hope to do long distance runs. I want to do a cross country trip driving back to Ny to see family instead of taking a plane along with multiple day trail runs like the rubicon. That is why I decided on the rack. I liked the look of the ranger rack and decided to get the spare on the roof. At that point Tim recommended getting the plate from gobi that hides the spare door mounts when I get rid of the spare down there. Hold on! I wanted dual spares, I got the idea from Zach and at the time I thought it was a good idea for tougher wheeling in case of flat tires. Another plan I had was to provide help with other wheelers. While we are not responsible for others decisions it is nice to help a fellow wheeler out and want to eventually get an adapter that allows jeeps to run our bolt pattern rim on their hub...the typical jeep bolt pattern (5x5 and 5x4.5) along with this adapter will allow them to run one of my spares if they lack a spare. I have seen plenty of guys run inadequate spares and if I could help out why not...So the rack gets in and I added a 2nd spare (35" goodyear duratrac) and got the spare rim from zach. I also added the Piaa 520 SMR's and then recently added the locking hi lift mount and the ARB awning. I showed some of those in the pictures but will do a full write up on those later. dont forget the ladder and fairing too!

2011-01-07_07-48-25_917.jpg

2011-01-07_07-48-12_18.jpg

2011-01-07_07-44-58_814.jpg

2011-01-12_15-40-16_731.jpg

2011-01-12_15-39-56_501.jpg

2011-01-23_10-26-43_351.jpg

Last edited:

JonBishop

i gotta say i love the things your doing with your H3 an i plan on blacking mine out as well, i dont think ill be able to get mine to look as awesome but hopefully somewhat close, fun thread to read threw too:cheers:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Ugh O! I went out of place, The broken diff came after the rack but I already posted all that info up so I will show you the first time it hit the flatbed :shame:Luckily I got it to my friends house in limp mode and got it to the stealership because I didnt know how to do repairs then.

DSC00499.jpg

DSC00502.jpg

2011-01-12_16-24-01_441.jpg

Got the new halfshaft in because it broke but then realized the ring and pinion gears were chewed up too.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Now I am a tad out of order but its ok. I got the Squeky3 plates in. I couldnt fit squeaky so squeky would have to do. I love these plates as it gives it some personality.

1215001554.jpg

I didnt want to mangle the plates so zip tied them on the spare. It is now back on the bottom until I make a legit mount for the spare.

2011-02-18_13-22-09_413.jpg

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Here is the time to give a review of the lights, Piaa 520 SMR's are bright! I love them. After you aim them they give off great light and are highly recommended. One plus is that they come with the complete wiring harness and switches.

2011-01-21_23-18-43_788.jpg

2011-01-22_17-00-39_334.jpg

249233_2272112802956_1252714261_2683058_3756011_n.jpg