• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Bugout Bag Contents List

Paladine71

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I thought that I would post an updated list of my emergency bag contents. If anyone wants to see, or wants more information on, a specific item just ask. I have grouped the items into categories for clarity. This pack is always in my HUMMER, is fairly small and doesn't weigh much. I could easily carry this without tiring.

The pack itself is a military assault pack, with is chosen for durability, comfort and water resistance. It has Molle loops on the outside for attachments if I want to add anything.

Fire:
- Firesteel x 2
- Steel Wool 0000 (1 bag)
- Bag of fat wood (seasoned pine, burns when wet)
- Bic Lighter x 3
- Magnification Lens 5x
- Micro Inferno x 24
- Char Cloth (one bandana's worth)

Cutting Tools:
- Habilis Bush Tool Knife
- Habilis Nomadic Hunter
- Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe
- Bahco Laplander Folding Saw
- Saw made from Chainsaw Chain
- Spear Head

Food Procurement / Cooking:
- Snow Peak Titanium Pot and Pan
- Can of Sterno x 2
- Wire Snares x 12
- Conibear 110' Traps x 3
- Gig Head
- Slingshot Band
- Fishing Bail (fish mouth spreader)
- Eat N' Tool / Spork
- Stainless Steel Cup
- Pack Stove
- AR-7 .22LR Survival Rifle
- .22LR ammo x 550

Water Procurement:
- Stainless Steel Water Bottle x 2 (one is for char cloth)

Cordage:
- 100' Paracord
- Roll of 36 Bank Line

Shelter:
- Poncho Liner x 2
- Proforce 10' x 10' Tarp
- Nomex Gloves
- 3 mil Drum Liner
- Proforce Netted Hammock
- 100% Cotton Bandanas x 5 (usable for filters, wound dressings and making char cloth)

Light:
- Headlamp
- Spare AA Batteries x 8

Equipment Maintenance / Repair:
- Sewing Kit (regular needles, buttons and thread)
- Heavy Cloth Sail Needle x 2
- 100' Roll of Gorilla Tape 2" (useful for starting fires)
- Lansky Puck (for axe)
- Lansky Rod (for knives and spear)
- Fixin' Wax x 2 (protects metals and leather)

Hygiene:
- Micro-fleece Towel
- Chapstick (useful for starting fires)
- Toothpaste
- Toothbrush
- Camp Soap
- Baking Soda

Informational:
- Carpenter's Pencil x 3
- Waterproof Journal
- Miscellaneous Field Guides (wild edibles, etc.)
- Lensatic Compass

You'll notice two things right away. I'm not carrying any food or water (I can get mine from the woods if necessary), and I have redundancy in just about everything. I do have food and water in the HUMMER, if needed.

I could also add a .45 pistol with four magazines and a Barrett REC-7 6.8 SPC Rifle with 10 magazines if things were really bad. These would be carried on a chest rig that wouldn't interfere with my pack when worn.

Comments, questions, mockery, etc. are all welcome... :corn:

Last edited:

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
That's an impressive list Paladine. Thank you for starting this thread. I always like to see what more-experienced but like-minded people like to store/carry in their bags.

One question/comment, why no TP for your bunghole? Here's one good way of packing it.

[video=youtube;LFyu3J_atHw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFyu3J_atHw[/video]

Last edited:

Paladine71

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I have plenty of things in my rig that can cover that function, such as wet wipes, shop towels, napkins, etc. In a pinch, nature can provide for it too. :)

machineguneddie

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I'm imune too, but I've heard you can become alergic at any time in your life.

Sent from my Galaxy S3
Using Tapatalk 2

Flash

Fire:
- Firesteel x 2
- Steel Wool 0000 (1 bag)
- Bag of fat wood (seasoned pine, burns when wet)
- Bic Lighter x 3
- Magnification Lens 5x
- Micro Inferno x 24
- Char Cloth (one bandana's worth)

Cutting Tools:
- Habilis Bush Tool Knife
- Habilis Nomadic Hunter
- Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe
- Bahco Laplander Folding Saw
- Saw made from Chainsaw Chain
- Spear Head

Food Procurement / Cooking:
- Snow Peak Titanium Pot and Pan
- Can of Sterno x 2
- Wire Snares x 12
- Conibear 110' Traps x 3
- Gig Head
- Slingshot Band
- Fishing Bail (fish mouth spreader)
- Eat N' Tool / Spork
- Stainless Steel Cup
- Pack Stove
- AR-7 .22LR Survival Rifle
- .22LR ammo x 550

Water Procurement:
- Stainless Steel Water Bottle x 2 (one is for char cloth)

Cordage:
- 100' Paracord
- Roll of 36 Bank Line

Shelter:
- Poncho Liner x 2
- Proforce 10' x 10' Tarp
- Nomex Gloves
- 3 mil Drum Liner
- Proforce Netted Hammock
- 100% Cotton Bandanas x 5 (usable for filters, wound dressings and making char cloth)

Light:
- Headlamp
- Spare AA Batteries x 8

Equipment Maintenance / Repair:
- Sewing Kit (regular needles, buttons and thread)
- Heavy Cloth Sail Needle x 2
- 100' Roll of Gorilla Tape 2" (useful for starting fires)
- Lansky Puck (for axe)
- Lansky Rod (for knives and spear)
- Fixin' Wax x 2 (protects metals and leather)

Hygiene:
- Micro-fleece Towel
- Chapstick (useful for starting fires)
- Toothpaste
- Toothbrush
- Camp Soap
- Baking Soda

Informational:
- Carpenter's Pencil x 3
- Waterproof Journal
- Miscellaneous Field Guides (wild edibles, etc.)
- Lensatic Compass

Very similar to mine. Quantities of some items may vary and my caliber choice is .38/.357 instead of .22 - but very similar items. My chopping/slicing/clearing tool is a Cold Steel Khukra. Again very similar and strongly multi-purpose. You lean toward redundency where my focus is on multiple application of the same item. My sole food item is honey.

Hunner

What are some favorite quality tactical flashlights without just paying for the name. I see some that seem overly priced even though knowing quality usually means higher price.
Functional being priority. I like the on off on the base recessed to HELP reduce accidentally being turned on. In fact most things I have that are battery powered and stored, I remove the batteries and keep in ziplocks in case they leak.
In most cases I want one function in one unit so I don't have to cycle thru them instead of on or off only for momentary use with a handgun.

mkmcgreg

What are some favorite quality tactical flashlights without just paying for the name. I see some that seem overly priced even though knowing quality usually means higher price.
Functional being priority. I like the on off on the base recessed to HELP reduce accidentally being turned on. In fact most things I have that are battery powered and stored, I remove the batteries and keep in ziplocks in case they leak.
In most cases I want one function in one unit so I don't have to cycle thru them instead of on or off only for momentary use with a handgun.

I have a Nebo redline SE 250 lumensLED. Best flashlight for the money IMO $35 online. From what you described it would work great simple on/off function with the ability to cycle thru strobe SOS and vary light levels. Worst feature is the magnetic base as I am pretty sure I have left some stuck under the hummer after working on it...

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have evolved into several buyout bags. One with clothes, sleeping bag, one with food/misc survival stuff, and one with weapons, ammo and a little of everything in it. That one stays in the vehicle whenever I am in it. The others can be thrown in depending on the situation.

Paladine71

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have two types of lights for the most part. For most things, I use head lights that are worn around your skull since they are light, easy to carry and are hands free. I also have lights mounted to my home defense shotguns, handgun and my AR rifle. They are as much for seeing the targets as they are for blinding them. The headlight that I use for bushcraft is just a common Energizer head light. It's cheap, has a strong body, high lumens and adjustable settings.

Paladine71

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Very similar to mine. Quantities of some items may vary and my caliber choice is .38/.357 instead of .22 - but very similar items. My chopping/slicing/clearing tool is a Cold Steel Khukra. Again very similar and strongly multi-purpose. You lean toward redundency where my focus is on multiple application of the same item. My sole food item is honey.

I chose a .22 LR for my emergency ammo because it's deadly to my food sources (rabbits, squirrels, etc.) without doing too much damage, not too loud, low maintenance, and you can carry a lot of ammo with little weight or size. In just a little box, I have 550 rounds. That's a lot of potential food. If I really want to stay hidden, I also have a Gamo Big Cat 1250 Air Rifle that will bring down this same game with almost no noise. If you take large game (deer, elk, etc.), you will waste most of the meat before you can use it and you'll bring other predators to your site (bear).

skeptic

I don't have a bug out bag put together, but it's on my list of things to eventually get around to. I do keep my camping gear fairly well organized though, so if I had to bug out and had access to my truck I'd be set. My designated BOB pack is intentionally not tactical/military looking and can be carried as a duffle bag. It never gets packed up as a BOB because it's really convenient for trips and such, so it lives it's life as regular old luggage. My designated bug out gun is also a .22lr, and for exactly the reasons you mention. Small game would be the intent but it can kill everything up to and including deer (not legal of course, but it's a favorite of the deer poachers), would be adequate for most self defense situations (not optimal of course), and the biggie is you can easily carry lots of ammo.

As for a flashlight/headlight I have been carrying a Maratac AA from countycomm. They claim it's the worlds smallest AA light. I have the older version with a max output of only 85 lumens which is more than enough - I generally just use the low or medium setting. The clip is reversible, so with the small size I just clip it on the bill of my hat when it gets dark when I'm camping. I used to have one of those cyclops head lamp things, but I don't even bother now.

Since we all love pics, here is my favorite .22lr. A U22 Neos pistol with a carbine kit. You can switch between pistol and carbine in about a minute - only the barrel and stock/grip need swapped. I do have a 2nd Neos Pistol w/4.5" barrel not shown (the one in the pic is a 6"), but I don't know if I'd carry both or just carry a pistol at the ready and the carbine kit (barrel and stock) in my bag. Ignore the SR22 in the bottom right.

2012-03-16143410.jpg

abearden

I'll have to pull my list together when I repack it next month. Mine has more first-aid supplies, ration bars, and water-treatment supplies. For protection, I have the .40 for two-legged predators and .22 or .223 depending on why I'm bugging (.22 for natural disaster bugouts, .223 for social disaster bugouts).

Flash

I chose a .22 LR for my emergency ammo because it's deadly to my food sources (rabbits, squirrels, etc.) without doing too much damage, not too loud, low maintenance, and you can carry a lot of ammo with little weight or size. In just a little box, I have 550 rounds. That's a lot of potential food. If I really want to stay hidden, I also have a Gamo Big Cat 1250 Air Rifle that will bring down this same game with almost no noise. If you take large game (deer, elk, etc.), you will waste most of the meat before you can use it and you'll bring other predators to your site (bear).

Absolutely understand your reasoning. I use Havahart animal traps for critters around the house and have dispatched close to a hunderd over the last couple of years. From mice to chipmunks to squirels to woodchucks to raccoons. Drowning is an effective means of removing any life from them. Its amazing what you can catch with a little bird seed.

My ammunition selections are based on availability, barter value, portability, and effectiveness at stopping human predators (with a coyote/deer/bear meal as a bonus). My .38 snub in a pocket, mated with my 6" .357 revolver, mated with my Winchester Model 94 .357 lever carbine is a very portable and effective peace keeper package. Plus I can arm 3 spearate people if I have to - with common ammunition.

I know a couple fairly strident survivalists who favor the .22 and agree it has many virtues for food acquisition. I simply chose the trapping route allowing my ammo choice to be upgraded. One reason I so enjoy this section and these many threads is numerous persons can share why they have decided what they decided and others can evaluate for themselves its applicability to their planing scenarios. Truly a resource of ideas.

Halcyon00

My bug out bag is like this but for water I carry 2 life straws. We have lots of bayous here so water isn't a problem but it needs to be filtered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaseyS

I don't see any water purification. I assume you plan to boil everything.

I have a small sub-micron strainer pump that can do about 8oz a minute. I keep coffee filters for a pre-strainer. I also keep a small bottle of chemical purification tabs as a backup as well. Hint : if you pack some of the water flavor packets like lemonade or crystal light designed to dump in a 16oz bottle, it will mask the chemical taste of the tabs

ImNoSaint

BOB stowage.
attachment.php

Other essentials stowage that break out to the bug-out.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCF1938.jpg
    DSCF1938.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 651
  • DSCF1875.jpg
    DSCF1875.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,128
  • DSCF1823.jpg
    DSCF1823.jpg