• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Got rear ended this morning.

Mr_Rich

I got nailed right after I replaced the rear bumper on my 3T that I damaged off-roading. I figured someone else would just target me again so I still drive around with my slightly dented (second) rear bumper. Be careful for damage that isn't readily apparent right now. You may want to have a friend help you look for damage or some body components that have shifted as a result of that heavy hit. I'm almost sure you're going to discover some surprises days or weeks from now....

Big2dabank

I know my truck pretty good and have about one hundred pics of things I know that have been affected by the crash. The challenge will be convincing the insurance company that they were caused by the crash and not from wheelin. Good thing is the insurance has referred me to a local body shop and will trust the body shop estimate without the need to send out and adjuster. 99% of the damage I can fix myself, so I am looking forward to the shops estimate. It will be a good time to make a few upgrades.

Big2dabank

Wow, I got the estimate from the body shop yesterday, grand total of over $11,000. Body shop says its about $3,000 away from a total loss. The frame was damaged in the impact because the reciever hitch and tire carrier took the brunt of the impact. He said those parts are so strong, they kept the major damange to a minimum. I am struggling with what to do. Since the truck will obviously be worth significantly less than before the accident, my gut tells me to take the money and only have the body shop fix the frame damage and anything major I can't fix and then fix the rest of the parts myself with the parts i want.

Damn this sucks, I hate not being in my truck.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sucks. Don't forget that during the repair they usually find things they missed in the original estimate and have to have the adjustor approve more $$$$$$. It could costs more than the estimate you have in your hands to fix.

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
There's been an H2 frame in Atlanta that keeps popping up on Ebay, the guy claims it was powdercoated for another project then they changed directions. I think it was up for pretty cheap recently, like $1500 rolling.
You could do a frame swap and then check all your parts out as you put it back together---add, mod or change what you want or need along the way along while freshening it all up.
That's not to mention what a PERFECT time for a diesel swap this would be, especially since you've got a an H2 conversion shop in your neck of the woods.

If you lived any closer I'd be pushing you to do the frame swap---I'd even empty out my garage for the project until it was done. I swapped frames on my 77 GMC when I was a teen in the backyard of my mom's house--no concrete or specialized tools, so having a garage and better tools would make this pretty awesome.
Wow, this can awesomely spiral out of control really fast......:)

Last edited:

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
Just checked EBay, there's a company that has 10 brand new GM '08-09 H2 frames for $1499 or make offer with $400 shipping; this means I'd offer $1000 and see if it took! Ok, not sure what's different with the newer frames to try stuffing under an older H2; my understanding would be motor/trans mounts which you should be able to peel off of your frame. I know the hood is taller on the newer trucks to accomadate the engine, but I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with the frame.
We need to have a weekend party (no beer 'til the truck is done though!) to strip and rebuild your truck. If you get about 4 or 5 motivated guys, this would be a no-brainer.

08H3

Have you ever considered taking the cash, keeping your current H2 for wheeling only and then buying a replacement for the road? Of course, there are a lot of variables specific to your situation that may make that impossible, but it's an option to consider.

Big2dabank

I spoke to the insurance again today and decided it was best to have the truck fixed right so I don't regret it later. Apparently they will settle separately for several of the other issues and also diminished value and provide me with a separate cash settlement in addition to fixing the truck right.

We will see how it goes, but it will take 3 weeks to get the truck back and the body shop will guaranty the work. I love the truck too much to take any chances.

I'm just glad i wasn't injured and I was driving a Hummer and the lady that hit me was not severely injured. I could be in the hospital if I were in some smaller vehicle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ArtHummer

Good luck with repairs. Maybe it is time to think about some upgrades. You can talk to body-shop to see if they can throw instead of OEM some better aftermarket staff.

HUMMERDAD

Glad to here all are doing well. and hope you get your truck back up to your standards soon,

When I looked at your Pic of the brush guard it pushed back on the hood on the impact site really close to the grill with it attaching to the same location as the hummer brush guard. I had someone damage mine when they did it tweeked my hood as well and later cracked so just keep an eye on it and check your gaps around the hood for proper centering mine cracked in the inside at the guide holes thats where I would check first.

Big2dabank

Thanks for the tip. I got the truck back today and I am very pleased with the repairs. All new parts, they even tracked down a new brush guard, which is no longer made. It felt so good to be back in the truck today. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.

Zach

Mall Crawler
Glad to hear you got it back and good to go. Now you need to go get it dirty :thumbs: