• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Bugout bag

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Alright fellas/gals. I figured a good starting point for being prepared is the bag in which i will carry all of my survival gear in. I a looking for the best (not necessarily biggest) but the best all around rugged bag. I see that the mol military type bags are good because they can have water pouches and have all sorts of things easily attatched to them.

So for those of you with experience with these types of packs, any suggestions as to which ones are the better variety, remember im looking for something that is going to be rugged and stand up to a beating, and hold my essentials. Thanks.

abearden

First question you need to ask: what's the goal/purpose for the bag? Obviously evacuation, but...

-storms?
-civil unrest?
-hard hiking?
-grab-and-go for the car?
-always in vehicle emergency kit?
-budget?

Makes a big difference. If you plan on hiking with it you want minimal weight so the heavy canvas of surplus-style bags is a drawback, but in a vehicle that's not an issue. If you fear civil unrest, something more like a bookbag will draw less attention than either military or full-blown hiking bags will. Bags intended for use in heavy storms will require more waterproofing than those in, say, CA where storms are usually not a problem (a single-man pancho will easily protect everything here).

My BOB looks like a school bookbag, but is from REI so it's made a little sturdier, has more pockets, and a gortex-style coating. Some of my buddies are less concerned with weight and/or looks so they have either full-blown 70+ liter hiking backpacks or military surplus bags stuffed to the brim.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a number of bags. One has essentials like food, water, clothes. One has sleeping/camping gear. My "bugout bag" has some food like power bars, beef jerky, water, headlamp and flashlights, knife, batteries, spare socks, para cord, extra ammo and mags and a pistol in it.

Paladine71

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I use a military assault pack because it's big enough, small enough, rugged as hell, water resistant and comfortable to wear. Here are a few pics of my wife's assault pack.

AssaultPack2.jpg

AssaultPack1.jpg

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
I should add this.

Price does not matter.

This is for sh**i need to leave, i grab my bad, throw it in my car and bam im out. Also for when the car craps out (for whatever reasons) i can pick it up and hike to wherever i need to go

It need to be big enough to hold soem first aid materials, fire starter, knives, water (i like the integrated bladder for this part) hold some food, paracord, etc

I already have a 2 week supply of food bag that gets thrown in the hummer, but i cant hike with that as well.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
I have turned my Oakley kitchen sink backpack into my buyout bag. Has a hard padded upper shell for valuables and crushables, multiple separate areas, a separate case for wet items, 3 metal mounting attachments, water bottle straps, etc. love this thing!

http://www.oakley.com/products/kitchen-sink-backpack/92060-001

I actually kinda like it. It is definitely going into my consideration, but it doesn't have the integrate water bladder, which is something that i am looking for, other wise good choice

abearden

I actually kinda like it. It is definitely going into my consideration, but it doesn't have the integrate water bladder, which is something that i am looking for, other wise good choice
Integrated water bladder? First, I don't know of any that have it integrated completely (mostly just a pocket for it and/or hole to run the tube). Second, you can add a bladder for fairly cheap.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Integrated water bladder? First, I don't know of any that have it integrated completely (mostly just a pocket for it and/or hole to run the tube). Second, you can add a bladder for fairly cheap.

Yea maybe not fully integrated but i definitely would like a sleeve to seclude the bladder from the rest of the bags contents. I do already have a camelback and i guess i could just stick it in the main compartment, but i just think to keep it secluded is a good thing

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

JGBB04

I already have a 2 week supply of food bag that gets thrown in the hummer, but i cant hike with that as well.

Why not, what kind of food is it. if it's the typical MRE deal just break it down, you can save alot of space & lbs on that alone

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Camelbak has some of the best made backpacks out there. You can get them in all different colors, sizes and styles. I would suggest you get one with MOLLE on it so you can attach and expand it any way you need. They are incredibly tough and can be overloaded without them failing on you. I know because I've done it many times. I use them for everything. One is my travel bag. One is my range bag. My BOB is the largest one I have, and it has a level IV ballistic plate along side the water bladder.

Ex Umbris Venimus

IndyHummers

Te main compartment has a divider for laptops that could be used for it. Can camelbacks be held upside down without leaking? If so the bottom compartment has a drainage hole that you could poke the straw through and hold it there. If you have an Oakley store near you go and play with one. They're great.

MtnRsqDawg

I use a Wolf Pack system for my K9 SAR endeavors. It is totally customizable starting with a load bearing harness then you add items such as hydration, storage pack(s), tool pouches, etc. etc. Because of the load bearing design, its extremely comfortable in the event you have to haul long distances for any period of time. Most important its prolly one of the strongest packs out on the market and believe (don't quote me) its the only UL tested pack out there. Did I mention it also comes with a lifetime guarantee. I loved it so much I config'd a smaller version as my bugout bag. Good luck!

http://wolfpackgear.com/

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
You guys sound like you're packing way too heavy.

For most people I would agree but I'm used to carrying that and more for long periods. Now that I have a kid I carry even more and have been able to handle it. I would rather have it and ditch it if I can't handle it, then need it and not have it. The circumstances of the moment will dictate what stays and what goes.

Ex Umbris Venimus

ALPHA of JONESY

I have the first gen Camelbak BFM (see below) and I have used it as a BOB for years. It's military grade and has a ton of room for whatever you decide to take. Along with having a first aid kit and some survival essentials, I carry a few MRE's, plenty of ammo, KABAR, Multi tool, etc. etc.

images

Here is the newest version of the BFM
images

Paladine71

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
For most people I would agree but I'm used to carrying that and more for long periods. Now that I have a kid I carry even more and have been able to handle it. I would rather have it and ditch it if I can't handle it, then need it and not have it. The circumstances of the moment will dictate what stays and what goes.

Ex Umbris Venimus

I hear ya, Al. My theory is simple.... the more that I carry in my head, the less I'll carry on my back. Knowledge really is power.

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
I totally agree. Especially for the long term. Being prepared is more a state of mind than anything else. Adapt or die.

Ex Umbris Venimus

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
OK so im starting to give up looking for one with an integrated bladder, seeing as there are so many more options without them. The camelbak is nice, but i think I'm looking for something bigger.

So since i have ruled out the integrated bladder, i have come across these Eberlestock packs.
These look really legit and well made, not to mention a billiion ways to mount weapons and other items.
From this company, i am looking at the "terminator" one
http://www.eberlestock.com/index.htm

I am also considering 5.11 backpacks
http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Bags-Backpacks/Backpacks.html

and also maybe one from spec-ops,the 3 day assault pack in particular
http://www.specopsbrand.com/tactical-gear/packs.html

let me know what your opinions on these are. im really leaning towards the Eberlestock packs, unless someone tells me that they arent what they seem :cheers:

edit: spoke too soon, i guess the Eberlstock packs are hydration ready/acceptable, this solidifies their spot at the top of my list.

Last edited:

MtnRsqDawg

So I'm chilling surfing FB and came across this from UncleBobsGoBags.com and thought the timing was perfect...worth checking out.

579873_403182289740994_1833623432_n.jpg

Complete Emergency Preparedness Kits (By Uncle Bobs Go Bags) We pack this dual mission "FOX Advanced Expeditionary Backpack" with ALL THE UBGB Goods. This emergency kit has a serious COOL factor. Constructed of rugged, fully tactical polyester. Hydration bladder included. Has padding and MOLLE attachments everywhere. Key features: 1 LARGE main compartment with inner mesh pocket, 2 quick access side pockets, expandable bottom adding extra gear. Heavy duty zippers, detachable shoulder bag separates for medical gear/special operations. Over 30 UBGB items/components are included. Size: 20" x 12" x 9"

OIF Marinex3

I have the 5.11 Rush 72 (three day pack), I have many different pack and bug out bags and that is my favorite it has everything that you are looking for, if you want to build your own bug out bag, a hydration carrier compartment, excellent build quality, and comfortable to wear with medium to heavy loads. there is also the capability to add the 5.11 Rush MOAB 10 in case you need more storage.
also the integrated flexible frame is something I look for in good bags.

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Bags-Backpacks/Backpacks/RUSH-72-Backpack.html 4c035c5336c4e6b9f9a8368ac1bc8a59.jpg