• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Engine squeak when cold

Paladine71

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
So, as the weather cools, I've noticed that I'm getting some engine squeak for the first few minutes when I start my truck after its engine is cold. After it warms a bit, the noise stops and it's fine. If I accelerate when it's still squeaking, it speeds up the squeak.

What do you guys think, serp belt? Does anyone have the serp belt change info on an Alpha? :roll:

Scarsman

Sponsor
The belt would be the first thing I would check. Could also be alternator or other pulley bearing, too.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Hopefully the cause of the slip is a cold belt but it could be an item like power steering or the alternator that's failing. When changing out a belt it's not a bad idea to go ahead and change the idler and tensioner just in case those are wearing out as well. Like Scarsman said, start with the belt (and maybe idler and tensioner) and go from there. At least by pulling the belt you'll now have a trail spare.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Now that you mention it, i have noticed this on mine as well. I haven't noticed any performance issues though. I put some belt conditioner in mine last winter, didnt seem to make a difference.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Reloader

I've already changed both my belts twice since I bought my Alpha. And I use OE belts. It's got 64K on it now. Still on the original tensioner though. I've experienced mud getting in the grooves of the serpentine belts and causing lots of noise. The stuff embeds itself in the rubber. I used to try to clean it out but you never get it all. The smaller A/C belt is a stretchy belt and can be a bitch to roll on with out a special tool for installation some times. To remove that belt you just cut it off. Belt dressings are worthless on serp belts and the stuff needs to be cleaned from the pulleys before installing new belts or the new belts get contaminated. I install a lot of new belts in a week and experience says OE belts work the best with Gates being the next best. Stay away from the Gatorbacks, daycos, any parts store brands or second line quality belts. But then any belt will work in an emergency. So they are fine for a cheap spare. I think the GM belt is $34 my cost and you can get them at any GM dealer. The stretchy belt may cost more but I can't remember. When starting engine cold and it starts squealing , spray a little windex or water on the belt. If noise goes away or changes ,its the belt. Water pump will usually rumble if bad, alternator bearings will wirr along with idler and tensioner bearings. Something thats siezed will really cause a squeal ,and usually smoke and stink. There is a TSB that addresses a squeaking chirping belt noise and it involves a missalignment of the power steering pulley. You check it with some kind of laser tool that mounts on the power steer pulley. To adjust you need to press power steer pulley farther on or pull off a bit. This is only on the 5.3L engine.