• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

jakesz28 build thread

jakesz28

I really wanted to go down there. I might have to go down that way later in the year. We will see. I have always wanted to go to Moab and I'm making plans on taking the family and Hummer out there March 28 thru April 7. I have some more up grades before I go to Moab so I'm saving some money and watching expenses to make that happen.

jakesz28

So far no problems. Don't recommended driving down the road like that. I haven't been out much to see how it does long term.

jakesz28

I no longer have wire ties holding the rear license to the spare tire.

photobucket-53421-1364155395916_zpsc7ed56de.jpg

Here I like how the hilift jack blends in and doesnt stand out. I used the cheaper $40 mounts and some custom u-bolts.

photobucket-61068-1364155426314_zps7661700b.jpg

photobucket-65198-1364155458713_zps5f6a967a.jpg

photobucket-28852-1364155493104_zpsfcc12208.jpg

jakesz28

I added an air doc that I got from a member. The one thing for all the people asking about different style cold air kits. This is a good reason why you dont want an open air box.

photobucket-9498-1364155522807_zpsbeb5f8ea.jpg

photobucket-18340-1364155554663_zpsef5410f1.jpg

One of the next important mods is the ARB snorkel or the custom H1 snorkel mod. I still have the dual battery trays and air on board air compressor that need installed.

I think this will be getting a SAS in the future. I have a dana 44 sitting here on the trailer and a dana 60 front that I have to pick up after getting back from Moab.

chad

Truck looks really good! How's the tread wear on the nittos? I was thinking about getting the toyos and they are pretty much the same tire.

jakesz28

I think I have around 6000 miles on them and they measure the same or really close to the new spare.

Last edited:

jakesz28

I won't have any pictures of this next upgrade. But a few weeks ago I drove across a scale and the H3 came in at 5880 lbs. I hooked up to a small pop up camper the other day and the rear sagged a couple more inches. So I think it is time to add another leaf spring and increase rear payload. After seeing Bebe and speed's repair on for SOA and adding a Chevy leaf spring. Which runs the full length of the main leaf. I called a local spring shop. They quoted $380 to make a custom arched second spring with installation and all necessary parts. So this is with new u-bolts and the center pin in the leaf springs. I'm dropping it of in a few minutes. Hopefully I gain some rear height. From what I can gather the rear on a stock h3 measures 24" from the center of the axle to the bottom of the fender. Mine currently is at 23".

jakesz28

Well I was surprised when I picked it up. They charged me less then they quoted it was $320. It was about 24.5" from the center of the axle to the bottom of the finder, with my tools and spare parts in the back. I put the spare parts and tools on the roof, loaded the back with the cooler, food, bags, ect, then hooked up to the trailer. It measured 23" with the tongue weight of the trailer on it. So I'm glad I had this done before the trip.

Attachments

• 2013-03-28_17-05-11_156.jpg
    2013-03-28_17-05-11_156.jpg
    842.8 KB · Views: 256
  • 2013-03-28_17-05-26_294.jpg
    2013-03-28_17-05-26_294.jpg
    809.3 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:

jakesz28

I have been asked about the tires and disconnecting the sway bars. I just got back from Moab and have some more thoughts. I have now had this in more then mud and the mall parking lot. The tires performed well, I aired down to 18 psi. I most likely could have gone lower. The vehicle did well for being unlocked with out a 4 to 1 low range. I did a few things that a couple other h3's with lockers did not make. This could rely so much to luck that it is tough to say if they helped. Inches difference in your line could be all it takes. The tires bit well, I followed one h3 and have video of him lifting tires and I felt stable. This could have been do to having the sway bars disconnected. I'm pleased with how this has performed to date. I will keep disconnecting and run these tires again. One thing on the tires, being a few months old could make a nice difference in it self. I can not say they are the tire to buy but I will buy these again next time.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I saw Jakesz28s rig and he did amazing especially without lockers and a 4:1, He is a great driver. I cant imagine how it will do once you start doing some of the modifications I have heard you talk about.

jakesz28

Here is a Molle panel I bought, I will be adding bags in the next few days. I ordered two rip away bags from ebay. One is red which will be a first aid kit and the other is black which will have some fire starter, signal devices, and some other survival stuff in.

Here you can see the stand offs were it is solidly attached to the door and not hanging off the plastic.

There is about 40 pounds of tools in that duffle bag so the table will be handy when needed.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Sweet! I know we talked about this but I cant wait to see what you can do with a locker, it will be dangerous

chad

truck looks great!! so did the tires hurt your mileage and power much? heard those are heavy, i'm currently saving up for tires because i'm due for new ones, and rock sliders. i'm still looking at those, i havent seen many h3's with them but they look great. that molle panel looks good too!!

jakesz28

I got the mole panel from a guy on ebay. He made it wider then his jeep ones. I think his contact info was put in here. Let me check.

This got about 17 mpg when I got it. With everything added it now gets about 12. I averaged 10 going to Moab last year towing a small trailer.

rascole

Just for clarification, is there anything different you would have done to the panel now that it is installed? Wider, taller, heavier gauge, mounting differently, etc??
I have already emailed him so if there are any more members out there in want, I will let you know.

poncho1965

Just for clarification, is there anything different you would have done to the panel now that it is installed? Wider, taller, heavier gauge, mounting differently, etc??
I have already emailed him so if there are any more members out there in want, I will let you know.

I also emailed him this morning.

Mike

jakesz28

Alright guys well the price is $85 and the shipping depends on where you live but what we came up with is just email him at al.bumpers@gmail.com and tell him what u want and ur address and he will set up the purchase :woot:

This is who originally found them. I ordered mine from this guy too.

For $85 then it was only 25" long. I liked that he made mine closer to about 40".

Last edited: