• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Heavy Duty Skid Plate

Vdawg1115

Schwarttzy,

I am trying to install the plates but the front one doesn”t fit at all. Was your plate designed on the 1st gen front crossmember or second? The 2 front bolt holes don’t align correctly and it doesn’t reach all the way back to the middle crossmember.

I will post some pics up later

mine didn’t fit too well either. The rear fit perfectly, the front plate required me to make new holes but I got it to fit

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
Schwarttzy,

I am trying to install the plates but the front one doesn”t fit at all. Was your plate designed on the 1st gen front crossmember or second? The 2 front bolt holes don’t align correctly and it doesn’t reach all the way back to the middle crossmember.

I will post some pics up later

mine didn’t fit too well either. The rear fit perfectly, the front plate required me to make new holes but I got it to fit

Would like to see photo's guys so I can fix this issue right away.

Currently, I'm running the Gen 2 skid plate on my Gen 1 H3 Hummer. I didn't have to do any modification to bolt up the skid plates on my H3 Hummer.

Vdawg1115

6044F393-91B9-4572-8013-101F34699C2F.jpg
Just two holes didn’t work. They were off by 3/8”. Just drilled new holes and it bolts right up now.

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
Just two holes didn’t work. They were off by 3/8”. Just drilled new holes and it bolts right up now.

That is one sexy picture of H3 Hummer underbody protection!

When I get back to the US of A, I would like to make it so no one else has to drill those holes.

Any chance I could offer a discount or something to get you to drop the skid plate and take pictures with a tape measure? Potentially mark some lines with chalk?

Vdawg1115

That is one sexy picture of H3 Hummer underbody protection!

When I get back to the US of A, I would like to make it so no one else has to drill those holes.

Any chance I could offer a discount or something to get you to drop the skid plate and take pictures with a tape measure? Potentially mark some lines with chalk?

no worries. I will take some pics when I change my tranny fluid. I just purchased a new tranny fluid pan with a drain plug

mdocod

Just finished installing these.

Had to re-drill or slot mill just about every hole intended for an existing mount point. Also had to cut about a 0.75" X 1.5" section out of the rear skid section near the gas tank skid for them to line up correctly. The little "nut" brackets are clever, unfortunately, none of mine had threads cut in them correctly. They had what looked like threads, but they did not match the included bolts at all, it wasn't even close. They had to be re-tapped.

Took more effort than I expected to install these. Some is just the result of the unfortunate reality that vehicles, especially "old" body on frame designs, are not very "tight" on tolerances. +/- 0.25" tolerance is common for frame related stuff. That being said, I do not see ANY provisions for typical vehicle frame tolerances built into the skid design. The holes are cut with minimal "play" to solve for that. I think this would be a lot more bolt-up, and a lot less back-n-forth with the drills if the mounting holes were slots or simply larger, and use a washer.

I'm running into a similar issue with the driver side rock slider.. though I think the fix will be pretty simple. I just need to cut about a 1/4" wide strip off of the front-most bracket to clear the parking brake line bracket.

Man these rock sliders are beautiful.

I'm hitting chinaman gulch over the weekend. I'll try to get some picts.

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
Just finished installing these.

Had to re-drill or slot mill just about every hole intended for an existing mount point. Also had to cut about a 0.75" X 1.5" section out of the rear skid section near the gas tank skid for them to line up correctly. The little "nut" brackets are clever, unfortunately, none of mine had threads cut in them correctly. They had what looked like threads, but they did not match the included bolts at all, it wasn't even close. They had to be re-tapped.

Took more effort than I expected to install these. Some is just the result of the unfortunate reality that vehicles, especially "old" body on frame designs, are not very "tight" on tolerances. +/- 0.25" tolerance is common for frame related stuff. That being said, I do not see ANY provisions for typical vehicle frame tolerances built into the skid design. The holes are cut with minimal "play" to solve for that. I think this would be a lot more bolt-up, and a lot less back-n-forth with the drills if the mounting holes were slots or simply larger, and use a washer.

I'm running into a similar issue with the driver side rock slider.. though I think the fix will be pretty simple. I just need to cut about a 1/4" wide strip off of the front-most bracket to clear the parking brake line bracket.

Man these rock sliders are beautiful.

I'm hitting chinaman gulch over the weekend. I'll try to get some picts.

Could we see some pictures? I constantly have this bad-n-forth with customers leads nowhere. The problem begins with every single skid plate set that I have installed has bolted up perfectly for myself. I ask for measurement and issues and all I get is some someone dragging my company's name through the dirt. Even worse it's typically the skid plates being installed wrong. However, understand my intentions, if there is measurement, design flaws, or anything that needs to be fixed I'm going to fix it.

So could you show me photos? Perhaps some measurements? I'm also very available to talk to, would be happy to assist with any issues.

Last edited:

Vdawg1115

I had two holes that were 3/8” off, but the rest were fine. The nut brackets also had thread that didn’t match the bolt, I drilled it smooth and welded the correct size nut to the bracket.

Last edited:

mdocod

Could we see some pictures? I constantly have this bad-n-forth with customers leads nowhere. The problem begins with every single skid plate set that I have installed has bolted up perfectly for myself. I ask for measurement and issues and all I get is some someone dragging my company's name through the dirt. Even worse it's typically the skid plates being installed wrong. However, understand my intentions, if there is measurement, design flaws, or anything that needs to be fixed I'm going to fix it.

So could you show me photos? Perhaps some measurements? I'm also very available to talk to, would be happy to assist with any issues.

Schwarttzy,

I didn't intend to come across as dragging your name through the dirt. In hindsight, I see my words are harsher than necessary to convey the point.

I read numerous reports of these issues before ordering them but still figured that the time for me to have my own skids cut and bent and drilled and painted would wind up costing more time and very nearly as much money anyway in the end. I don't have the time so I figured I'd give yours a shot.

FYI: skid plate installs are commonly less than straight forward, for all sorts of vehicles, with skid kits purchased from all sorts of vendors.

I'll be happy to share pictures. I assure you, there is nothing wrong with the installation method here. I've seen at least a couple pictures of these installed where people had to re-drill the factory mount hole for the front side of the t-case skid to get the skids to line up. Oddly, this is about the only place where tolerances can't really be the only factor, as those holes are located to fit the tiny factory skid for the t-case that does not have provisions for tolerances as significant as we're coming up with here. The only possibility there is that the holes in your skids aren't where they need to be. Maybe some "batches" of these are coming out with that hole moved over about a half inch. Maybe the builder is not measuring from the correct edge, or staying consistent on which edge to measure from for each skid when building these.

Having to wallow out or drill other holes larger to get these to fit is something to be expected in a design where there are no provisions for tolerances from cross member to cross member on the frame. Remember, we have both manufacturing tolerances (positioning of frame cross members during welding/assembly), AND additional deviation from use and abuse. With the exception of the tiny OEM T-case skid, which mounts to only 1 cross member anyway, all other factory skids include provisions in the form of slotted mounting holes to deal with the reality of frame assembly tolerances.

Last edited:

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Touching on that point, I've had to egg out holes on OEM UCP to fit on H3s.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mdocod

alrock,

Thanks for chiming in on that. I don't want schwarttzy to feel bad about this or anything. It's bound to be an issue with anything we try to bolt to a frame that is assembled in an environment where +/- 1/4" is common.

Just look at how many GM trucks come off the showroom floor leaning left. The tolerances are so bad on their initial ride height adjustments that some of them are visibly leaning left brand new. I can only imagine the tolerances on cross member to cross member position.

------------

On a more positive note. I just ran Chinaman Gultch today with Schwarttzy's skids and sliders. The skids and sliders got a major workout today and performed flawlessly.

cbetts

NERD!!!
Things get pretty tweaked on our rigs even from mild wheeling. I have had to use percussive alignment techniques when installing my THORparts bumpers. I also had to use jacks and alignment pry bars to install my skids (both OEM and KMW versions). The good news is all that extra metal should help to hold things together properly.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
My BA driveline protection didn't fit right and I put a brand new set on a brand new H3. Anyone that thinks every vehicle has identical spacing underneath hasn't spent enough time under vehicles. Most will be close but they are not all identical.

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
I had two holes that were 3/8” off, but the rest were fine. The nut brackets also had thread that didn’t match the bolt, I drilled it smooth and welded the correct size nut to the bracket.

Hmmm....I appoligize for that. I'm going to mention that to production and check every one in stock.

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
Schwarttzy,

I didn't intend to come across as dragging your name through the dirt. In hindsight, I see my words are harsher than necessary to convey the point.

I read numerous reports of these issues before ordering them but still figured that the time for me to have my own skids cut and bent and drilled and painted would wind up costing more time and very nearly as much money anyway in the end. I don't have the time so I figured I'd give yours a shot.

FYI: skid plate installs are commonly less than straight forward, for all sorts of vehicles, with skid kits purchased from all sorts of vendors.

I'll be happy to share pictures. I assure you, there is nothing wrong with the installation method here. I've seen at least a couple pictures of these installed where people had to re-drill the factory mount hole for the front side of the t-case skid to get the skids to line up. Oddly, this is about the only place where tolerances can't really be the only factor, as those holes are located to fit the tiny factory skid for the t-case that does not have provisions for tolerances as significant as we're coming up with here. The only possibility there is that the holes in your skids aren't where they need to be. Maybe some "batches" of these are coming out with that hole moved over about a half inch. Maybe the builder is not measuring from the correct edge, or staying consistent on which edge to measure from for each skid when building these.

Having to wallow out or drill other holes larger to get these to fit is something to be expected in a design where there are no provisions for tolerances from cross member to cross member on the frame. Remember, we have both manufacturing tolerances (positioning of frame cross members during welding/assembly), AND additional deviation from use and abuse. With the exception of the tiny OEM T-case skid, which mounts to only 1 cross member anyway, all other factory skids include provisions in the form of slotted mounting holes to deal with the reality of frame assembly tolerances.

Thanks for responding, I appreciate all feedback. I would like to incorporate the neccessary changes based off your suggestions to improve the product. I look forward to video, but I will work with photos too.

SlcHummer

I too had to drill new holes in my skid plates, and I believe one in my cross member as well however I recall this being expected/documented.

Honestly I didn't say anything because these skid plates are AWESOME AF (saved me from a lot more potential damage) so I didn't feel there was anything to say other than thank you Schwarttzy! However, I see how the feedback helps you, and ultimately us (customers), so let me know what I can do to help.

Vdawg1115

8984CEA0-627E-449F-9585-2D30CC441151.jpgWell, finally went on a trail gnarly enough to put Schwarttzy’s skidplates to the test and they did great. I high centered once on a section of Slick Rock Trail called the V-notch, then a few times trying to climb the obstacle pictured here called the stairs. Felt a couple hard landings on the skidplates and there is only a slight deformation on the driver’s side front plate. The rig suffered no damage except for a slight bend on the rear ARB bumper that I didn’t notice til this morning

ModMe

Probationary Member
Just got around to installing these. Came across the same issues with the front plate not lining up to the front holes. Will just drill new ones to line up correctly. I am installing these to be tested in Moab this coming weekend!!

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
Just got around to installing these. Came across the same issues with the front plate not lining up to the front holes. Will just drill new ones to line up correctly. I am installing these to be tested in Moab this coming weekend!!

I think you should send a couple of photos before drilling the holes