Welcome to the H4O - HUMMER 4x4 Off Road.
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617
    Low Profile
    Thanks
    alrock,

Thanks for chiming in on that. I don't want schwarttzy to feel bad about this or anything. It's bound to be an issue with anything we try to bolt to a frame that is assembled in an environment where +/- 1/4" is common.

Just look at how many GM trucks come off the showroom floor leaning left. The tolerances are so bad on their initial ride height adjustments that some of them are visibly leaning left brand new. I can only imagine the tolerances on cross member to cross member position.

------------

On a more positive note. I just ran Chinaman Gultch today with Schwarttzy's skids and sliders. The skids and sliders got a major workout today and performed flawlessly.

NERD!!!

Thanks
    Things get pretty tweaked on our rigs even from mild wheeling. I have had to use percussive alignment techniques when installing my THORparts bumpers. I also had to use jacks and alignment pry bars to install my skids (both OEM and KMW versions). The good news is all that extra metal should help to hold things together properly.
    2017 Honda HR-V
    2020 Subaru Crosstrek Premium / 6 Speed
    SOLD 2006 Hummer H3 / Adventure / 5 Speed / No Bling - BUILD THREAD

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cbetts For This Useful Post:

3Hummers (07-02-2018)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,298 Times in 1,065 Posts
    My BA driveline protection didn't fit right and I put a brand new set on a brand new H3. Anyone that thinks every vehicle has identical spacing underneath hasn't spent enough time under vehicles. Most will be close but they are not all identical.
    1998 H1 Open Top
    1994 H1 HMC4
    1992 H1 HMC4 LE
    1990 1025 Armament Carrier

KJ6JCC

BlackSheep Hummer Squadron, H1 PsychoSquad

Baja

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vdawg1115 View Post
    I had two holes that were 3/8Ē off, but the rest were fine. The nut brackets also had thread that didnít match the bolt, I drilled it smooth and welded the correct size nut to the bracket.
    Hmmm....I appoligize for that. I'm going to mention that to production and check every one in stock.

Visit Schwarttzy.com for more parts and info on the H3 Hummer.

Baja

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mdocod View Post
    Schwarttzy,

I didn't intend to come across as dragging your name through the dirt. In hindsight, I see my words are harsher than necessary to convey the point.

I read numerous reports of these issues before ordering them but still figured that the time for me to have my own skids cut and bent and drilled and painted would wind up costing more time and very nearly as much money anyway in the end. I don't have the time so I figured I'd give yours a shot.

FYI: skid plate installs are commonly less than straight forward, for all sorts of vehicles, with skid kits purchased from all sorts of vendors.

I'll be happy to share pictures. I assure you, there is nothing wrong with the installation method here. I've seen at least a couple pictures of these installed where people had to re-drill the factory mount hole for the front side of the t-case skid to get the skids to line up. Oddly, this is about the only place where tolerances can't really be the only factor, as those holes are located to fit the tiny factory skid for the t-case that does not have provisions for tolerances as significant as we're coming up with here. The only possibility there is that the holes in your skids aren't where they need to be. Maybe some "batches" of these are coming out with that hole moved over about a half inch. Maybe the builder is not measuring from the correct edge, or staying consistent on which edge to measure from for each skid when building these.

Having to wallow out or drill other holes larger to get these to fit is something to be expected in a design where there are no provisions for tolerances from cross member to cross member on the frame. Remember, we have both manufacturing tolerances (positioning of frame cross members during welding/assembly), AND additional deviation from use and abuse. With the exception of the tiny OEM T-case skid, which mounts to only 1 cross member anyway, all other factory skids include provisions in the form of slotted mounting holes to deal with the reality of frame assembly tolerances.
    Thanks for responding, I appreciate all feedback. I would like to incorporate the neccessary changes based off your suggestions to improve the product. I look forward to video, but I will work with photos too.

Street Tire
    Thanks
    I too had to drill new holes in my skid plates, and I believe one in my cross member as well however I recall this being expected/documented.

Honestly I didn't say anything because these skid plates are AWESOME AF (saved me from a lot more potential damage) so I didn't feel there was anything to say other than thank you Schwarttzy! However, I see how the feedback helps you, and ultimately us (customers), so let me know what I can do to help.
    2006 H3 3.5L I5 Adventure / Luxury / De-chromed / Torsion lift / 35" Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs / Bilstein 5100 shocks / Schwarttzy Skid Plates and High Clearance Leaf Spring Plates / Warrior rear shackles / Solid Axle GM Corporate 10 Bolt rear diff cover / 1" Daystar body lift / Custom Tube Doors x4 / AirDoc / AFE dry filter / OD Steering Rack Reinforcement Kit, Differential bushing kit, and Heavy Duty Tie-Rods / PCM of NC tune / Long Tru-Cool LPD trans cooler and thermal by pass / Snorkel

Street Tire
    Thanks
    Name:  8984CEA0-627E-449F-9585-2D30CC441151.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  344.1 KBWell, finally went on a trail gnarly enough to put Schwarttzy’s skidplates to the test and they did great. I high centered once on a section of Slick Rock Trail called the V-notch, then a few times trying to climb the obstacle pictured here called the stairs. Felt a couple hard landings on the skidplates and there is only a slight deformation on the driver’s side front plate. The rig suffered no damage except for a slight bend on the rear ARB bumper that I didn’t notice til this morning

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Vdawg1115 For This Useful Post:

Schwarttzy (07-11-2018)

Bald Tire
    Thanks
    Just got around to installing these. Came across the same issues with the front plate not lining up to the front holes. Will just drill new ones to line up correctly. I am installing these to be tested in Moab this coming weekend!!

Baja

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ModMe View Post
    Just got around to installing these. Came across the same issues with the front plate not lining up to the front holes. Will just drill new ones to line up correctly. I am installing these to be tested in Moab this coming weekend!!
    I think you should send a couple of photos before drilling the holes