• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Heavy Duty Skid Plate

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
I am interested, but I'm waiting to see the results of the prototype installation and trail testing.

Also, when you get a chance if you could weigh them.

I'll find out how much they weigh for you, but I don't think I'll be able to do much field testing in the next month or so. Since I'm not sure when I'll go wheeling next, I'm planning on some testing inside my garage to simulate what you might encounter off-road.

Of course when the spring months roll around, they will be a proven product.

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
My bother just picked up the mock-ups and sent me some photo's.

H3-Heavy-Duty-Skid-Plate-Mock-Up.jpg

H3-Heavy-Duty-Skid-Plate-Mock-Up-2.jpg

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
I'm planning on some testing inside my garage to simulate what you might encounter off-road.

I just had a vision of you jacking your H3 with a floor jack under the UCP with a rock in the middle. Whatever you do stay safe! Chock the wheels, set the parking break and use a spotter.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
I just had a vision of you jacking your H3 with a floor jack under the UCP with a rock in the middle. Whatever you do stay safe! Chock the wheels, set the parking break and use a spotter.

Well that will probably be the first thing I do, but after that I'm thinking about putting a 6x6 block of wood down underneath the Hummer and basically drop the Hummer on that wood block by quickly using the floor jack.

Chook

Yep those holes look rather small............At least leverage the H3 engineers knowledge & make them the size of the gas tank shield (they would have done significant testing on the hole size I suspect) that said I did have a rock jam in the hole on my gas tank cover, luckily I found it before it wore through the plastic.

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
I took some photos before I left for work this morning, hopefully give you a better idea of big they are. I was surprised with how strong they feel when I picked them up. In the back of my mind I was thinking they might need some bracing, but now having handled them I don't think they are going to need bracing. They holes are a very particular side based on a lot of designs I looked at and my wheeling experience of what I think will work best. If the hole size isn't the optimal size I can change it at any time, so for now I'm going to run with it until proven otherwise.

IMAG0155.jpg

IMAG0154.jpg

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
Want to update you guys that between work, it snowing every other day, and making all these parts I'm swamped, kind of like my garaged floor, but I'm going to crawl under there soon and have these for sale before the month is out.

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
Special treat for you guys today!

I tested the prototypes for my H3 Hummer Heavy Duty Skid Plates yesterday and everything went smooth. The measurements I took underneath were spot on and allowed for me to line everything up with ease. I was able to pick-up the front-end of the Hummer clean off the ground without any deflection in the plates. I also found and ordered the Flange Ribbed Nutserts that I'm going to use with Socketed Cap Flat Heads Screws so that the bolts holding the skid plates on are flush with the metal. Basically that means there won't be any bolts to get hung up on when you're sliding that 4,000lb Hummer across some rocks and mud.

[video=youtube;NyQQcr3deFw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyQQcr3deFw[/video]

DSC01241.jpg

NOTE: The photo & video only shows one of the two skid plates, this one spans the biggest gap and is the most prone to damage.

Last edited:

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
Looks good! From the photo above it doesn't look like you left alot of room for mount points to the crossmember, any updates on that?

Your over thinking it. When I took the photo and video the skid plate wasn't quite lined up right. There won't even be a gap in between the the two skid plates.

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
Bolts are in and I hope to mount the skid plates up this weekend.

861369_4499561335451_1151799312_o.jpg

That's a quarter underneath the nutsert and bolt for size reference. The blot is rated for 180,000PSI

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
After install, are you going to do any testing on trans temps? That solid slab is not going to let any air circulate around the trans. Honestly, I would personally be afraid to run something like that out here in the desert during the summer. Just a thought...

rsc

I'm already looking at the fact that I will probably have to laser cut several long (1"x6" or 8") ventilation holes in it myself to get air moving around in there.