• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Did a bit of troubleshooting

LagunaH1

For a while, I've felt a looseness and "clunking" in the front end when driving down the road and going over small bumps and cracks in the pavement. I had done the "tire grab & shake test" several times and not found anything so I had chalked it up to "that's just how H1's are, sometimes they clunk".

This past weekend on my way home from wheeling, the clunking had gotten more pronounced so I decided that it was time to get serious about diagnosing it. So, armed with Dave Breggin's maintenance manual, a jack and a pry bar I started checking my front ball joints and lo and behold: The right lower ball joint has about 1/8 inch movement up and down and the "clunk" it makes sounds almost exactly like the clunk I hear when driving the truck.

This is one of the first times I have been able to find (what I think is) the source of a problem and that makes me happy. I'm slowly but surely getting better at understanding my truck and finding what's going on with it.

I see a trip to Tustin Hummer in my near future :)

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Congrats! Not on the breakage, of course, but on the troubleshooting. Always a good feeling when you can figure out exactly what needs to be repaired.