• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Functioning H3 factory air intake cover (with snorkel extension upgrade)

58Bisc

First I'll warn you that the pictures I used are not of the final assembly. I dropped my camera and broke it before I could get the final pictures. I'll make every effort to show where a difference was from the final vs. the pictures. Second is that I will be building and editing this thread as I go along. I will do my best to let you know where the edits are. I removed my set up a couple of different times to see what could be done differently to aid someone in installing this set up from below. You would be better off only installing this once, sealing it up and then forgetting about it. Once trimmed to fit your truck (after the first install), installing a second time becomes much harder. There is nothing left to grab onto to pull it up through the hole. There is no leverage, this makes it a push-pull process 1/16 at a time. Trust me on this one. Install it and forget it.

My first goal when I started this process was at the very least to move the air intake point away from the nose of the truck and in the process raises it up about 10 inches by putting it under the factory air intake cover. My second goal was to get it out from under the truck without cutting anything if at all possible. I designed the ducts to work and fit in the channels between the fender and fire wall. I did have to cut a strip of metal about 3/4 of an inch by 4 inches long. None of it was braces or structuarl in nature. A 3 inch pre molded 45 degree angle hose flatten and fit through the opening. I ground and smoothed all of the edges on the small amount of metal that I cut. Then, put door edge guards on the exposed edges to be safe. My final goal was to install a snorkel assembly on top of the cover and connect it to the duct work. This would raise the water line up above the windshield, preventing water lock of the engine.

Observations learned:

1.) The H3 aftermarket ARB snorkel runs out of the fender and along side the pillar for a reason, cleaner lines of sight and less of a blind spot.

2.) Making the factory air intake cover function as a water tight snorkel is actually very easy to do. Cutting a small piece of metal out provides a 45 degree path to the underside of the cover. It also provides the cleanest lines of sight while raising the water line ten inches and moves the water entry point away from the nose. The nose of course is the lowerst point of entry and wash over when entering the water. The factory air cover is also rain proof.

3.) There is just not enough room to create any type of snorkel on an H3 without some type of cutting. Whether it be the fender for the ARB, the entire bracing like on the H1 cap or a strip of metal for the air intake cover with the snorkel attachment. Truth is removing the fender to install ducting and or to cut is really the correct way to do this. I proceeded as if removing the fender is not an option.

Build sheet:
1 - aluminum intake tubing 3" OD x 24 $14.27
1 - silicone 45 degree elbow 3" ID $31.18
1 - silicone 90 degree elbow 3" ID $32.19
5 - stainless worm gear clamp 3.5" ID $1.50 @ 7.50
1 - stainless worm gear clamp 4" ID $2.99 (pack of 2)
1 - solid 90 degree 3" OD $12.99
1 - intermediate coupler 4" to 3" $16.99
1 - tube of sealer/gasket maker $5.99

Total $107.11

Here is as close to the final assembly as I have. The difference is that the flat spot in the up tubing in now flatter and the hose clamps are spun around so the tighten points are on the rear edge instead of the back and they face in. I'll try to explain on another picture:

ry%3D400

The factory air intake cover already has vent holes and channeling built into the underside that will provide airflow if a snorkel is not attached:

ry%3D400

The factory air intake cover only clips on. Open the hood and lift up on the front edge of the cover. This will pop the front two clips. Apply a small amount of pressure to the pillar trim away from the rear edge of the cover and pull up on the rear of the cover. This will release the back two clips. Be careful not to pull so hard as to hit the cover on the hood edge and scratch your paint:

ry%3D400

Remover the inner wheel well by removing all of the push clips:

ry%3D400

This is a close up of one of the clips:

ry%3D400

This is the only spot were there is a possible difference between trucks. What you see here is the larger air filter box inlet hose of the AirDoc's system. If you do not have an AirDoc's intake installed on your truck, your inlet will be hard plastic and smaller.

ry%3D400

This shot is between the fender and firewall. It shows the pocket that the H1 style snorkel turns into and then a large hole above it is drilled. For this set up, we will not be using this hole at all:

ry%3D400

This is the main piece that we will be cutting out for this install. By removing it we will open up a channel directly between the fender and the firewall:

ry%3D400

Here is a different view of the same piece. It is directly below the air intake cover once it is removed. It is slightly off center of the top opening:

ry%3D400

In hindsight, I'm not sure this step was needed, but I believe it did make the process of pulling the hose through the opening easier. When I was done the install, the hose was not tight in that corner and I had to fill the gap back in with sealer to make it water tight. If I were to do it again, I think I would have tried to pull the hose through without cutting here:

ry%3D400

Although you can't see it here, I just turned the cutter on end and removed the inner strip of metal:

ry%3D400

This is all that I removed. The small piece is what I removed from the top. You should not have to remove it:

ry%3D400

Here is what it looks like before I smoothed out the edges. Notice that you can see the front wheel off to the right. It is a stright path once you get past the first, short 45 degrees:

ry%3D400

I used touch up paint on any exposed edges. Notice the side 45 degree opening is now the same size as the top opening.

ry%3D400

Touch up paint around the top opening, which you should not have to worry about:

ry%3D400

I ran a small piece if door edge guard over the cut edge to provide a protected edge. It also had an added benefit of making the hose slide in easier:

ry%3D400

Another view, but note how clear the opening is:

ry%3D400

Door edge around the top opening:

ry%3D400

This is the start of the build process. If you look close at the tape it shows 9 inches total. This is wrong. It is 8 inches total. I would take the extra inch off the bottom of the top 45 degree hose. I took it off the 90 degree and it forced the 90 to point down a little. Save the pieces you cut off, as they become your couplers for the front end of the straight pipe to the hard 90 and the other is to the air inlet if you don't have an AirDoc's setup and you are running the stock hard inlet:

ry%3D400

I bought a longer 24 inch stright pipe. 19 inches is all that was need for the straight pipe install. This allowed me to cut a 3 1/2 inch piece off of the end to use as a coupler between the two bent hoses:

ry%3D400

Last edited:

58Bisc

I used a simple hacksaw to cut the pipe:

ry%3D400

This left very sharp edges. I used a wire wheel to clean it up, but sand paper would work just as well:

ry%3D400

Next comes the flattening of the pipe. For the final fit, I ended up flattening it about a half an inch more then what is seen in any of the pictures. I'll show you in another picture one of the reasons, but it just made installing it from below much easier:

ry%3D400

I used a wood vise to flatten the coupler. It was what I had and it worked very well, but a hammer and some care can achieve the same result:

ry%3D400

I don't have any pictures of the flattened assembly (remember I dropped and broke my camera), so these will have to do:

ry%3D400

Also note that in this picture not only is the pipe not flat yet, but the measurement is off by an inch. It should be at 8 inches from bend to bend:

ry%3D400

There are a couple of items to look closely at in this picture. I ran door edge guard up the inner lip (black edge) and the hose clamps need to be turned around, facing in the hole as well as on the front edge (from this view). This allows for more clearance and the ability to separate the hoses if the need arises without having to remove the 45 degree piece:

ry%3D400

This view is from directy below. In this picture you can see the second reason why I flattened the coupler a little more. Look at the second fender clip being pushed out. I did not see this until I looked at the picture. You can also see the edge guard covering the inner lip:

ry%3D400

There is not a real easy way to get in there. There is only room for one set of arms, but an extra set of hands would help a lot. In this shot I was still forcing everything in. If it does not fit in the channel between the fender and fire wall easily, you need to flatten the coupler more and make sure the clamps are installed correctly. The hose should go all the way up to the top, but not through the hole with little effort. Starting the process of making the 45 degree bent hose through the opening is a different story:

ry%3D400

Here's a shot of the almost completed install. It was at this point that I noticed that the connection between the AirDoc's inlet and the reducer coupler could be pulled off with some force. Both hoses are soft. I believe some sealer in the joint could solve this problem, but I went a different route. If you are running a stock inlet, this should not be an issue.

ry%3D400

I had some 3 1/2 ID PVC pipe laying around, so I cut a 1/2 inch collapse ring out:

ry%3D400

I slid the collapse ring inside the soft inlet hose. The ring is larger then the opening in the firewall and won't push through:

ry%3D400

Then I put the reducer back on and tightened the clamp down. This locked everything into place:

ry%3D400

I had to use a flat screw driver as a guide or ramp from below and then on top while I pushed from below to get the hose to make the bend around the metal opening. Once I got enough through that I could grab it, I pulled it up till the hose 45 sat in place at the 45 degree bend. It kind of popped into pace. The next step was kind of cool. I ran a razor blade around the edge by laying it flat on the door edge guard. The result was a custom compound curve cut that could never be cut by hand. The cut hose sat at the same height as the opening. There was little gaps in three of the four corners. The fourth one was larger, but that was because I had remove metal that you should not have to:

ry%3D400

The first time I did this it looked better. I masked everything off to get clean lines. It also did not take much sealant to water proof it. I ended up removing everything one last time and the hose did not match up cleanly this time. It was late and I had done the process a coupe of times already, so I smeared a finger full of sealant around and called it a day:

ry%3D400

A shot of the duct work assembled outside of the truck. As noted earlier in the thread, the pipes were not as flat as the final product and the clamps on the flat pieces are installed wrong:

ry%3D400

Different angle:

ry%3D400

Last one:

ry%3D400

58Bisc

This same install can be done on the cheap. It is not as heavy duty, but it will work. I used this set up as my proto type.

$19.99 intake flex hose
$12.99 90 degree elbow
$6.00 for four hose clamps
$4.99 for a coupler to attach to the stock air filter inlet
or
$16.99 for a reducer needed for AirDoc's air inlet

$43.97 or $56.96 total

Hose to air filter box:

ry%3D400

I flattened out about six inches of the one end of the hose that ran behind the fender and up to the air intake opening:

ry%3D400

Flex hose pulled through the factory opening. At this point, if you put the factory air intake cover back on it will act as a snorkel:

ry%3D400

Snorkel Story - I'll add pictures and finish this piece later, it's getting late...

I bought a Jeep JK snorkel off eBay. It is a Rugged Ridge part number 17756.07 XHD Modular Snorkel High Mount Kit Wrangler JK 07-11 (3.8L) Fits: Jeep Wrangler JK 2007-2011

17756.07.jpg

This is what comes with the snorkel and my spare air intake cover:

ry%3D400

This is the channeling of the backside of the air intake cover. In the new location, one of the attachment post and clip gets cut off:

ry%3D400

In this picture you can see where the snorkel is just too far forward. The angle of the snorkel stack is off compared to the H3 pillar by about 3/4 of an inch at the highest point. I'm not sure if I will attempt to heat it and adjust or just leave it as is. The stock Jeep mounting bracket is unusable for our application. If I move the snorkel back, I can bolt it directly to the pillar.

ry%3D400

Bottom side of the snorkel opening. There is a nice thick gasket around the hole:

ry%3D400

Proto type snorkel, still debating if I should bed line the air intake cover to match the snorkel texture or leave it trim coated to match everything else:

ry%3D400

Blurry picture of the proto type snorkel on my H3. The snorkel sat too far away from the windshield pillar. I mounted it in this spot to line the openings up. On the final set up, I will mount the snorkel in the best cosmetic position and create an air channel beneath the cover to line up the openings:

ry%3D400

This project would bring the total snorkel set up choices for the H3 up to four.

1.) ARB complete snorkel

2.) H1 cap style home made snorkel

3.) Functioning factory air intake cover

4.) Jeep snorkel attached to the air intake cover

A Sy-Klone pre cleaner can be added to 1, 2 & 4 of these snorkels and like the rest of the options comes down to personal choice. The price varies based off of the size of your engine and snorkel choice.

This process started out for me to find a snorkel that would work with the I5 engine that did not require cutting. What I have found is that other then the pre cleaner size, there is no difference based off of engine. All of the snorkel options above should work with both H3 engine options. I also was not able to do it without cutting. If you want a snorkel on an H3, you will be cutting. On the ARB it's the fender. The H1 cap it's the bracing. The air intake and/or snorkel it is the lip.

Lchase

good thread thanks for the info.

I've been wondering if that snorkel for the jeep would fit on my rig in that location and you've answered my questions nicely.

Zach

Mall Crawler
Great job and thanks for the indepth write up. I'm sure there will be some 3 owners that will jump on this mod

TAPDH3T

Same exact build except I got my pipe at a muffler shop and they bent it for me.. I also cut my fender just a little deeper! All I needed was one 90 degree elbow and a 4" into 3" adapter!! I also used a heat gun to bend the snorkel to follow the lines of the truck!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350491525.832014.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350491549.739131.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1350491568.384700.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350491586.282470.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1350491605.512252.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1350491621.513346.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1350491639.027915.jpg

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Looks great. I do have one concern though. Since our gas engines have a lot of electrical parts, ignition coils, spark plugs, and other wiring, isn't it a little pointless to lift the air intake that high above the engine? How long will the electrical parts survive if a long deep water crossing is necessary?

P.S. i know that in a diesel engine its different because it doesn't have all the same electrical stuff

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

TAPDH3T

Well that's why there is electrical grease lol j/k
There are more reasons to raise ur breather than just water crossing.. Living in Texas it's extremely hot.. By raising the breather higher ur bringing in colder cleaner air not 200+ degree air from the asphalt and engine!!! Cooler air equals better mileage and HP!! Plus how often do u go so deep ur messing with plugs and electrical... The stock breather is just a few feet off the ground!!!!

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
I know the likely hood of going that deep is small and im all for raising the air intake but it just makes me wonder haha

Hunner

In my case if you are just out messing about and decide to make a quick detour behind some others but you get a wheel off to one side of where they were, in a flash you can dunk the corner of the vehicle where the OEM intake is and trash an engine as it sucks in water and hydrolocks. That can happen more easily than stopping long enough to flood the interior or fuse box. Neither would be good.
I "almost" did that in this first picture and decided the snorkle was a cheap investment as opposed to the alternative.
I also run many dusty dirt roads, some have gravel. The raised intake rather down in the dust being thrown up in the wheel well even though behind the liner and with a pre-cleaner is better for the life of the engine as well as cooler air not off ground, black asphalt or concrete.
I guess it's a personal choice depending how often you go offroad or travel dirt whether or not it is pointless.
LongRanchCreek.jpg

9368.jpg

1220.jpg

DAH_9016shcc.jpg

DAH_5242.jpg

Last edited:

jakesz28

Just getting the opening up to the top of the fender, or factory air intake cover would be a good compermise. Without adding the rest or the snorkel. Looking at Hunner's picture and picturing the factory intake opening seems a little scary.

58Bisc

That was my original intent, to just get the intake away from the noise. It works quite well at the air intake cover. When I came across the Jeep snorkel, I could not resist...

58Bisc

Looks great. I do have one concern though. Since our gas engines have a lot of electrical parts, ignition coils, spark plugs, and other wiring, isn't it a little pointless to lift the air intake that high above the engine? How long will the electrical parts survive if a long deep water crossing is necessary?

P.S. i know that in a diesel engine its different because it doesn't have all the same electrical stuff

I would not disagree with this assessment of the snorkel part of this install. The air intake cover should be high enough and far away enough from the nose to resolve most water traps. Truth is all a snorkel does in water is give piece of mind to prevent water lock of the engine, which is a big deal. The engine is done if water gets in there. Your point though is the truck is dead if you get in that deep and I would agree. For cleaner air, I think the snorkel works well especially with a working pre cleaner. Note I said working pre cleaner, since on the I5 engine, the correct for snorkel 3 inch size does not kick in until around 2,500 rpm. So there is no pre cleaning untill the higher rpm range. The size below (2 inch) tops out at 2,500 rpm. The I5 runs from 2 cfm to 80 max cfm 50 cfm is at around 2,500 rpm on the I5.

TAPDH3T

Well I finally got the chance to test my homemade snorkel and it worked flawlessly!!! I haven't figured out how to post videos on here yet but I have posted a short clip on the H4O Facebook page!! I have longer videos were the water was over the hood!! In this video I got deep enough were the water was over the headlights!!!

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"

I would not disagree with this assessment of the snorkel part of this install. The air intake cover should be high enough and far away enough from the nose to resolve most water traps. Truth is all a snorkel does in water is give piece of mind to prevent water lock of the engine, which is a big deal. The engine is done if water gets in there. Your point though is the truck is dead if you get in that deep and I would agree. For cleaner air, I think the snorkel works well especially with a working pre cleaner. Note I said working pre cleaner, since on the I5 engine, the correct for snorkel 3 inch size does not kick in until around 2,500 rpm. So there is no pre cleaning untill the higher rpm range. The size below (2 inch) tops out at 2,500 rpm. The I5 runs from 2 cfm to 80 max cfm 50 cfm is at around 2,500 rpm on the I5.

I agree with 58Bisc. I am thinking of doing this mod and its for 2 reasons. 1) a peace of mind. Lets say I do cross something that is very deep I would hope to deal with no issues but Id rather deal with replacing electrical issues instead of dealing with electrical issues AND rebuilding or replacing the motor due to hydrolock. Reason 2) is for cooler air. The air coming in through the fender is probably warmer then up top away from a hot engine.

05Mudiak

unlessed I missed it. how are you sealing up the stock "intake box thingy"? There are so many ways water can get into that area since its just held on bu push clips. I must be missing something. You gotta be sealing that thing up some how.