Welcome to the H4O - HUMMER 4x4 Off Road.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Low Profile
    Thanks
    That was my original intent, to just get the intake away from the noise. It works quite well at the air intake cover. When I came across the Jeep snorkel, I could not resist...
    Victory Red 06 with championship edition hood stripe, custom red & black leather interior, tow package, Monsoon radio, iPod attachment, DayStar 1 inch body lift, 2.5 inch front lift, Bilstein front & rear shocks, Trail Duty extended bump stops, air horn, fender flares with splash guards, General Grabber 315/75/16 tires, GM touring exhaust, GM H3 tips, AirDoc's intake, K&N filter, PCMforless tune, GM UCP, PCSpider diff slider, engine coil spring delete, ported throttle body, GOBI ladder, Thor front bumper/bull bar, 12,500 winch, dual Optima batteries w/Tmax controller, KC lights, color matched grille, BA shock sliders, FOBI stealth roof rack, GM rock sliders w/steps, Hi-Lift jack, drilled & slotted rotors w/cermic pads, SS braded lines, functioning factory air intake cover with snorkel extension. Hunner shock/spring sliders

Low Profile
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cgalpha08 View Post
    Looks great. I do have one concern though. Since our gas engines have a lot of electrical parts, ignition coils, spark plugs, and other wiring, isn't it a little pointless to lift the air intake that high above the engine? How long will the electrical parts survive if a long deep water crossing is necessary?

P.S. i know that in a diesel engine its different because it doesn't have all the same electrical stuff

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    I would not disagree with this assessment of the snorkel part of this install. The air intake cover should be high enough and far away enough from the nose to resolve most water traps. Truth is all a snorkel does in water is give piece of mind to prevent water lock of the engine, which is a big deal. The engine is done if water gets in there. Your point though is the truck is dead if you get in that deep and I would agree. For cleaner air, I think the snorkel works well especially with a working pre cleaner. Note I said working pre cleaner, since on the I5 engine, the correct for snorkel 3 inch size does not kick in until around 2,500 rpm. So there is no pre cleaning untill the higher rpm range. The size below (2 inch) tops out at 2,500 rpm. The I5 runs from 2 cfm to 80 max cfm 50 cfm is at around 2,500 rpm on the I5.
    Victory Red 06 with championship edition hood stripe, custom red & black leather interior, tow package, Monsoon radio, iPod attachment, DayStar 1 inch body lift, 2.5 inch front lift, Bilstein front & rear shocks, Trail Duty extended bump stops, air horn, fender flares with splash guards, General Grabber 315/75/16 tires, GM touring exhaust, GM H3 tips, AirDoc's intake, K&N filter, PCMforless tune, GM UCP, PCSpider diff slider, engine coil spring delete, ported throttle body, GOBI ladder, Thor front bumper/bull bar, 12,500 winch, dual Optima batteries w/Tmax controller, KC lights, color matched grille, BA shock sliders, FOBI stealth roof rack, GM rock sliders w/steps, Hi-Lift jack, drilled & slotted rotors w/cermic pads, SS braded lines, functioning factory air intake cover with snorkel extension. Hunner shock/spring sliders

Bogger
    Thanks

Functioning H3 factory air intake cover (with snorkel extension upgrade)

Well I finally got the chance to test my homemade snorkel and it worked flawlessly!!! I haven't figured out how to post videos on here yet but I have posted a short clip on the H4O Facebook page!! I have longer videos were the water was over the hood!! In this video I got deep enough were the water was over the headlights!!!

Bogger
    Thanks

Still can't figure the video here are pictures!!!
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354406283.434863.jpg
Views: 1075
Size:  21.5 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354406299.042614.jpg
Views: 1063
Size:  41.1 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354406312.151972.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  34.2 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354406326.249371.jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  23.4 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354406340.242618.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  28.3 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354406351.554106.jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  24.0 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354406363.932039.jpg
Views: 1029
Size:  26.3 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354406373.639208.jpg
Views: 1028
Size:  21.0 KB

Low Profile
    Thanks
    Glade to hear it worked! That must have been some deep water, your truck sit high.

Bogger
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 58Bisc View Post
    Glade to hear it worked! That must have been some deep water, your truck sit high.
    The truck is leveled and sits on 35's!! In one of the pics u can see the water is just a few inches under the door handle!!!

a.k.a. "The Jackal"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,076 Times in 1,148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cgalpha08 View Post
    Looks great. I do have one concern though. Since our gas engines have a lot of electrical parts, ignition coils, spark plugs, and other wiring, isn't it a little pointless to lift the air intake that high above the engine? How long will the electrical parts survive if a long deep water crossing is necessary?

P.S. i know that in a diesel engine its different because it doesn't have all the same electrical stuff

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by 58Bisc View Post
    I would not disagree with this assessment of the snorkel part of this install. The air intake cover should be high enough and far away enough from the nose to resolve most water traps. Truth is all a snorkel does in water is give piece of mind to prevent water lock of the engine, which is a big deal. The engine is done if water gets in there. Your point though is the truck is dead if you get in that deep and I would agree. For cleaner air, I think the snorkel works well especially with a working pre cleaner. Note I said working pre cleaner, since on the I5 engine, the correct for snorkel 3 inch size does not kick in until around 2,500 rpm. So there is no pre cleaning untill the higher rpm range. The size below (2 inch) tops out at 2,500 rpm. The I5 runs from 2 cfm to 80 max cfm 50 cfm is at around 2,500 rpm on the I5.
    I agree with 58Bisc. I am thinking of doing this mod and its for 2 reasons. 1) a peace of mind. Lets say I do cross something that is very deep I would hope to deal with no issues but Id rather deal with replacing electrical issues instead of dealing with electrical issues AND rebuilding or replacing the motor due to hydrolock. Reason 2) is for cooler air. The air coming in through the fender is probably warmer then up top away from a hot engine.
    Squeaky3: 06 H3 ALPHA D70 front/Eaton HO72 rear 5.13 gears, custom crossmember for long arms, lockers, 4:1 T-case, v8 swap, hybrid cage, Warn 12k Custom bumpers....do it all vehicle

"H3 front axles are like drunk cheerleaders....just use em until they get mouthy...then toss em and get another." -anonymous

Bogger
    Thanks

U have to admit!!! The cool factor instantly goes up lol

a.k.a. "The Jackal"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,076 Times in 1,148 Posts
    that too lol
    Squeaky3: 06 H3 ALPHA D70 front/Eaton HO72 rear 5.13 gears, custom crossmember for long arms, lockers, 4:1 T-case, v8 swap, hybrid cage, Warn 12k Custom bumpers....do it all vehicle

"H3 front axles are like drunk cheerleaders....just use em until they get mouthy...then toss em and get another." -anonymous

All Terrain

Thanks
    unlessed I missed it. how are you sealing up the stock "intake box thingy"? There are so many ways water can get into that area since its just held on bu push clips. I must be missing something. You gotta be sealing that thing up some how.
    Jeff

2008 3 Alpha
    4" Tuff Country with a touch of Rancho, SOA conversion, Ridge Demon Rock Bashers w/ steps, Ridge Demon front frame strengthening plates, 325/60/20, KMC Addicts, Thor parts front n rear bumpers with front skid plate, Thor Parts drive shaft adapter with u-joint front drive shaft, Thor parts UCP steel plates, Scorpion works steering rack brace, Recon 10.5k winch, Artec dual battery conversion and probably a few other things I'm forgetting.

Oh and it's my wife's

Bogger
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 05Mudiak View Post
    unlessed I missed it. how are you sealing up the stock "intake box thingy"? There are so many ways water can get into that area since its just held on bu push clips. I must be missing something. You gotta be sealing that thing up some how.
    It's a secret!!! Lol

Bogger
    Thanks

Just kidding!!! Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354485746.967958.jpg
Views: 2479
Size:  202.1 KB
    The top section comes with a rubber seal but I used silicon to assist!! The actual cover I cut just big enough to slide my 3" pipe in and used the silicone to seal!!! Worked really well!!
    Once u have it in place u tighten the clamp to your rubber 45 underneath the fender.. (that's the hardest part)

Super Swamper

Thanks
    I never considered the snorkel a solution for underwater operation just for accidental temporary submersion while moving thru some water. Stopping would be a bad thing but could happen. Fuse box is my first concern.
    The OEM filter box is fairly good. It's not sealed and could use a gasket.
    Another old school prevention is to place a tarp across the grill so water coming in is not sprayed around by the fan as easily.
    Some people seem to have luck with just the stock setup! Not me, no way on purpose. Notice that I am the one behind the camera.
    These are fun to bring up when the discussion renews.

Last edited by Hunner; 12-02-2012 at 06:39 PM.

Bogger
    Thanks

Silicone can be used on the box because if u ever have to break the seal u just scrap it off and redu it.. Some people use water resistant greece like vasoline to repel water!!

Bald Tire
    Thanks
    i am about to do this installation but i cant seem to veiw the pictures can you help