• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H4O trip to Black Mountain Harlan, Ky 2013

JGBB04

So lets get a H4O East Coast run going, those west coasters are having way to much fun! But poor me we need to wait till next year, the long drive to Moab ain't cheap :wink:

I've done the THCI trip to Blk Mnt the last 3 years & it's a great place, also have a new place not far from there called Wilderness Trail. So lets start planning, I'm good for anything except holidays so no Easter, Memorial day ect. Whenever we pick I'll be there Tues-Sun, but we'll play it like Moab so anyone can feel free to come & go as they need/have time. The THCI run is usually beginning of May & I would suggest spring time for the weather (should have the vaca fund back to par by then), it's cool but can be a little rainy, but if I'm paying to leave Fla it's gonna be to get out of the heat.

Blk Mnt trails are from mild to wild so there's plenty to do. From the little we hit at Wilderness Trail it looked like easier trails but still a nice area & it's still free. If I can get my old laptop to play nice I'll post our tracks from the prior runs if anyone wants. As for accommodations, we've always used the only hotel in Harlan, Holiday Inn (Harlan is about 15mins from Blk Mnt & 20-30 from WT). They also have camping & cabin rentals at Blk Mnt & camping at Wilderness trail. I would suggest we try to stay together(no preference where on my part) as there is NOTHING else to do in Harlan (it's still small coal town America, I always hear banjos) Locals have always been friendly but you are in SMALL town America so there's not much, they do have wally world but it is not a super Walmart(learned the hard way, they close at midnight if you show up at midnight 05{local time}:giggle: they are closed) & the usual fast food joints but if there is something you really like bring it with you. Also for those of us that are prohibition challenged as of last year it's still a dry county so BYOB, they were trying to pass an Ord that would let restaurants serve. There is some other sight seeing stuff in the area for those that like to do that.

http://www.harlancountytrails.com/blackmountain.php
http://wildernesstrailoffroadpark.net/

Ok start checking dates, like I said I'm good w/ anything but holidays (damn I need new job:sigh:)

kflips

Harlan would be nice to hit some day. April runs are bad for me (except maybe the first weekend), Early to mid May is generally good.

Big2dabank

James,

I am game for a run up that way. I'll do what I can to work out a few dates around the kids school schedule. I can't go wheelin without Dylan, he would be devistated if I left him at home.

JGBB04

Ya we can't leave him behind, w/ some of his one liners that's a whole days worth of entertainment. Maybe late spring early summer, when do they get out of school May right?

Big2dabank

As soon as he can reach the pedals, I'll have to start letting him drive the truck. He has been after me to go night wheeling soon, so I need to get that figured out.

As far as the KY trip (somehow that doesn't sound right), I'll get some dates together.

JGBB04

As soon as he can reach the pedals, I'll have to start letting him drive the truck.

You remember what happened last time he was behind the wheel
100_0955.jpg

j3jackson

Big tires
I would really like to do this run, my moms family is from that area. I have not been out that way in a long tiime. I might be able to do a day or 2 depending on the dates.

Last edited:

4508js

Looks like a 5 to 5 1/2 hour drive for me, I'm interested and possibly in depending on when it is. Come up with some concrete dates and I might be able to make it :thumbs:

telemike

Hummer Enthusiast
I am in for mild trails and meeting other Hummers :)

I am all for tent camping

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

telemike

Hummer Enthusiast
I'm interested in checking out Wildernes Trail and camping. I'm more into seeing the scenery and drviing milder trails than the hard core rock crawling at harlan. Unless there are easy trails at Harlan, all the videos I see are more hard core than I fel comfortable doing.

JGBB04

Black Mnt has easy ones also, you just don't see alot videos for them. Most of the videos I've seen are from rock buggy guys so they're always on the harder trails.

ArtHummer

To early for me to plan something but tent camping sounds very tempting. What are the rules for tent camping?
Also, if if you can spend the night in the park does it mean it is ok to night-wheel?

JGBB04

I will not have my truck back for three more weeks. :swear: :swear: :swear: :(

Well if you'd quit stopping in front of mini vans we wouldn't have this problem :horns:(I think it's twinmill's fault)

As for the questions -- Black Mnt has Cabins, Rv hook ups & tent sites at the Putney trail head, also has primative camp sites at various places on the trails & yes you can wheel at night. Wilderness trail is strictly primative camping & I'm guessing night runs are ok as it's not listed in their rules.

http://www.harlancountytrails.com/index.php

http://www.harlancountycampground.com/index.php

http://wildernesstrailoffroadpark.net/

I've got some secret_squirrel_light_green_427.jpgthing going the 2nd week of March but as I said before I'm good for most any dates except holidays ( & yes I still need a new job, God bless Training Day, so many good quotes, "Should have been a fireman"). So you poor slobs, oops I mean lucky guys w/ wives & kids start planning some dates.

Big2dabank

I need an f'n de-stress day, anyone want to go on a hog killing spree after the first of the year. A buddy of mine has 1,000 acres near Palm Bay that is loaded with hogs and I'm in the mood for some killin. Oops I mean humane hog population control.

JGBB04

I need an f'n de-stress day, anyone want to go on a hog killing spree after the first of the year. A buddy of mine has 1,000 acres near Palm Bay that is loaded with hogs and I'm in the mood for some killin. Oops I mean humane hog population control.

I'm in so long as you're making jambalaya out of it :) that stuff was good