• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

More new armor.

Reloader

Been busy in the fab shop getting ready for Moab.

20120923_150248.jpg
I removed the BA diff skid plate I had and built this to replace it. Notice that I cut off the ears on the diff bottom and smoothed with a grinder.20120923_150515-1.jpg

New paint on rear axle also.

20120923_162712.jpg
View looking reward

20120923_150312.jpg
One more look from the rear.

I removed the fuel tank skid plate and discovered about 10lbs of dirt caked between the tank and skid. So that got cleaned out and some reinforcement was added to the bottom side.
20120923_150438.jpg

Next stop the paint booth.
20120923_153817.jpg

View from the rear of tank skid.
20120923_162730.jpg

Front view of tank .
20120923_162809.jpg

One last look . Sorry its sideways .20120923_162650.jpg

Only thing left to do is reinforce the OE front diff skid plate. I'll get to that later this week.
All that new paint waiting to get scraped off .
I can't wait. Got 7 more work days till time to head to Moab.
That's all for now.
Later:)

Attachments

• 20120923_153839.jpg
    20120923_153839.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 237

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Looks awesome! I love the gas tank skid mod and what did you do with the leaf spring mount? Looks like you made new ones

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
Looks nice. What are your plans for the BA diff skid plate?

I hope you're taking your OEM shock mounts to Moab just encase.

Reloader

Thanks all for the comments. All that pretty paint is plain old Rustoleum in a spray can. I touch things up now and then when I got it on the hoist for a mod. The spring thing is something I started on 3 months ago after seeing it on another vehicle. When I saw Schwarttzys I got back to work finishing them up and installing them. I'll see how they work in Moab. But I will bring along the originals just in case. my only concern is the new Bilstiens might be too long now as the lower shock mount is 2'' higher than the original.I installed 2'' longer shackles to restore the ride heighth as the springs are a sagging somewhat. When on the ground there is about the same amount of shock travel left as distance to the bump stops. I may have to reinstall the OE shocks.

Reloader

Finally got to reinforcing the front stock skid covering the front diff.20120929_143638.jpg
I added 1 inch wide strips of hot roll in the valleys of the ribs and upgraded the fasteners to 10 mm (my favorite caliber). It weighs twice as much now and it was crappy to weld with all the different gaps to deal with but looks pretty good with paint on it. I assume the 2 holes in it allow cooling air to hit the front diff. All this new paint really stinks up my garage.

Reloader

Here's the final product all painted up and looken purty.20120930_090757.jpg
Sorry pic is sideways. Can't figure out how to change that.

All done for now. Next project will possibly be a front E-Locker install or 4 to 1 reduction transfer case.

A new windshield is on order for after Moab. Mine is so sandblasted. We have this Diamond Fusion product at work that fills in tiny imperfections in the glass. I'm
going to try that for the trip.

tomp

Nice work!

let me know if you need alternate bilstein part number for shorter shocks that won't cost you any droop travel. I ended up looking these up when we were in prototype phase of our first run of low pro plates that lifted shock up 2". They are a must when raising shock up this much, as our prototypes caused oem shocks to leak and busted seals. This is why we lowered shock back down on production plates.

Reloader

Nice work!

let me know if you need alternate bilstein part number for shorter shocks that won't cost you any droop travel. I ended up looking these up when we were in prototype phase of our first run of low pro plates that lifted shock up 2". They are a must when raising shock up this much, as our prototypes caused oem shocks to leak and busted seals. This is why we lowered shock back down on production plates.

Yes, I would appreciate very much the shorter shock number. Thanks.