• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Ride height?

therick04pp

I recently did my T-bar crank. After a week I checked my ride height and all seemed ok.

Its been a few weeks now and it seems off. Depending on how I stop before parking.....let me explain.

I stopped, put it in park and measured. Seemed about an inch under @22.5. So I backed it up and stopped again...now @23.5...pull forward and stop...@22.75..... I then wrapped my hands around the push bumper and lifted and let off gently. A measure now says 24.25. Now I pushed down and let off gently, 22.5.........where does it end. What's the issue. Should my ride height be constantly changing like that? I've never had this issue on any of my vehicles. Ride height is ride height and I shouldn't be able to change it by hand. Flat driveway, same spot every time. It feels like I can't ever get the same measurement twice. Shocks look good, no fluid or signs of fluid.

Sent from my MZ617 using Tapatalk 2

jakesz28

This is not uncommon. The torsion bars are border line on the weak side for the weight if the h3. That is why it was on the bump stops before you adjusted the torso bars up. I would say go with the longer front bumpstops to help support the weight of the h3. I personally have not added the longer bumpstops. So mine is the same way.

4508js

This is not uncommon. The torsion bars are border line on the weak side for the weight if the h3. That is why it was on the bump stops before you adjusted the torso bars up. I would say go with the longer front bumpstops to help support the weight of the h3. I personally have not added the longer bumpstops. So mine is the same way.

Where can the longer bump stops be purchased ?

Hunner

Well I'm late to this post but what the heck, so far we don't get in trouble for posting pertinent info on slightly older posts on this forum.
The stock setting is approx. 22 1/2 depends on which H3 I measured when there were some on the lot, remember that?? The bumpstop is a progressive spring and does slightly sit on the lower a-arm in stock configuration.
Some guy back in ought6 got 1/2 more travel by spacing the shock and other components down and made some from two OEM springs, two inches longer.
_DSC6980_resize.jpg

The ones trail duty sells are 1/2 and are slightly stiffer for more support. They are made from different material. That helps if you hang a winch and mount and brushguard on the front but need to crank it up some to fit them.
If they do not touch you will get nose dive when braking and some body roll in curves.
Brand new H3, ahhh those were the days.
4884.jpg

Last edited:

therick04pp

Ok,
Old now but it's an update. I ordered and installed the new TD bump stops. WOW...multiple issues resolved. No more violent jiggle when hitting a bump, no more see saw bounce when hitting a bump and no more severe nose dive when braking. The ride is awesome now and it sits perfect.

However...i have a question. It states that there should be from 1/8 inch gap or just barely be touching.. Mine are touching and pressing down a little (aka not "barely" touching) but the ride and ride height are prefect...so do i leave it alone or attempt to crank the bars more until they actually are "just touching"..

And as far as installation... I jacked up each side, grabbed ahold of the old ones and pulled...POP...right out with no issues. Put the new one in at an angle and pressed around the edges with a big Phillips screw driver until it was seated.. 5 minutes, both sides in. Couldn't have been easier.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Scarsman

Sponsor
Well, if it sits how you want it, and it rides and handles good, then I would probably leave well enough alone.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hunner

I think it is great you updated that information in this old thread as it makes sense being able to read the previous post and response rather than starting a whole new thread without the details. Thank you.
Some people like to hit "what's new" and will find the added posts.

You just want to make sure you don't have a lot of compression on them to begin with or when you do offroad and compress the suspension they could be forced out.
Some people experienced that when not raising the torsions enough.
Glad to hear an honest report of your findings.
If you decide to mess with them try jacking up by the lower a-arm and see how much they compress. Check to see if they are bent over. That won't be as good as a field test but will show if you might have a problem.
What is your under fender to axle center measurement as it sits?

Last edited:

therick04pp

I think it is great you updated that information in this old thread as it makes sense being able to read the previous post and response rather than starting a whole new thread without the details. Thank you.
Some people like to hit "what's new" and will find the added posts.

You just want to make sure you don't have a lot of compression on them to begin with or when you do offroad and compress the suspension they could be forced out.
Some people experienced that when not raising the torsions enough.
Glad to hear an honest report of your findings.
If you decide to mess with them try jacking up by the lower a-arm and see how much they compress. Check to see if they are bent over. That won't be as good as a field test but will show if you might have a problem.
What is your under fender to axle center measurement as it sits?

Thanks Hunner, I will check the measurement again tomorrow. I know it should be around 23.75, but they honestly do look like they are compressed a little too much. Now that the new ones are in, I should be able to get a more accurate reading. Ill post back my findings.

JGBB04

Ok where's the "none of the above" smiley. I read all of the TB bar crank threads on 3 forums when I got mine, went to 24" cause everyone said it would settle(about a 1/4" off the bump stops). drove around for 2 weeks(drove over every curb & parking stop I could get away w/) & it never moved. Everyone said handling would change, nose dive, floating front end ect, I got none of the above @ 24 or when I cranked it back to 23.5. Now 4 yrs later after 35000+ very hard miles on it it's starting to feel a little loose. Most of which I blame on the failing rear leaf springs, which is all my fault, I leave the truck bed fully loaded 24/7.

therick04pp

UPDATE:

So I checked my ride height again. I noticed the passenger side was right at 24" with the bumpstop about 1/4 inch from the A-arm (perfect). The driver's side was 23.3/4" and resting on the bump stop and compressing a bit. So I adjusted the bars again....but I couldn't get my measurements to change...I went down 2 full turns on the driver's side and it still reads 23.3/4...Kinda wierd, so I went back up 2 full turns and left it alone for now. I am going to drive for the week and re-check everything again.

rsc

Because of stiction in the components, I would always go for a drive around the block just to let the suspension move around a little and then come back and remeasure. Especially when going back down unstead of up, too easy to overshoot. For some reason the number of turns between left and right always seems irrelevant, they hardly ever are the same even though starting at the same height. Probably due to different rates on the torsion bars.

therick04pp

Ya, i prolly should have mentioned i took it for a ride after adjusting. I even heard a nice pop/clunk which i thought would have been it settling out...i was wrong..

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2