• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Uwharrie Wheeling Trip - Sept. 21-23

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
Hey all!

For those who are interested, I will be at Uwharrie next weekend with my boss (a Jeeper!) to do some camping and wheeling. We will be going up Friday night, wheeling Saturday, and leaving Sunday morning.

This event is open to all and will be family friendly. The focus of this trip will be some light recreational wheeling. If you do decide to join us, please familiarize yourself with the requirements of Uwharrie and any/all camping regulations. I learned "leave no trace" as a Scout, and I still follow that principle today. :) I have not been to Uwharrie yet, so this will be a learning experience for me. I am just putting it out there that this is virgin soil to me and I won't have a full route pre-planned.

I hope that some locals can make it to this and enjoy the (from what I hear) beautiful scenery and some fun on the trails.

I will be reserving my campsite soon and will be happy to PM details to anyone who is interested in meeting-up.

Best,
Hans3T
NC Chapter VP

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
It was both a great day and a bad day. Great day because Hans got to wheel like he never thought he would, without scratching the H3T. It was very cool to see him do obstacles he never dreamed he would do in his life. Many people took pics and he will probably post them and do his write up when he gets back home. We wanted to setup both trucks for a NC Hummer Group Pres/VP pic. Unfortunately that's when everything went south. A power steering hose on my truck, that was brand new from the day before, exploded. I spent all day trying to fix it with everyone's help but we lost the battle. It was a very simple cheap fix that could have been solved easily if we had the right parts. We saw that the "new" hose had slashes all over it. :( Had to call AAA to get the truck home. Waste of a day but at least nothing serious was broken. Its a $20 fix. Just frustrating because it was great day seeing Hans do all those trails. Thanks God for AAA.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
That sucks recon! Do you think the hose was defective or did it rub up on another part to destroy it?

I'm glad Hans got to push his truck!

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
Pics will be up soon. I took some, my fiancee took some, my boss' wife took some, and hopefully a fellow-we-wheeled-with's wife will email me her photos sooner than later.

So I'll get some of mine/my fiancee's up, then more as they trickle in.

Holy cow, what a trip. Very fun and the T did AMAZINGLY. Really learned the importance of those lockers and this was the first time I really wheeled with the lift as well. It too exceeded my expectations. :cheers:

Many thanks to Al and his friend Zach who helped spot me up some insane terrain. These are two "Class A" guys. We conquered the one trail at Uwharrie that is rated "Extreme Difficulty". :woot:

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
The first obstacle.

The first obstacle onto the trail was a solid rock shelf that stood about 4 feet high. I won't lie...I was incredibly nervous and almost felt like backing back down the short amount of trail we'd traveled to get there once I saw it. With some mental prep and keen spotting from Al and his friend Zach, I was able to get up without a scrape or slide. What a feeling!

DSCN3532_zpscee9249a.jpg

DSCN3535_zps4a102a04.jpg

DSCN3536_zpsfdb7beca.jpg

DSCN3537_zps0fe6c8ee.jpg

Al did pretty well too. :wink:

DSCN3528_zps310e3d19.jpg

DSCN3529_zps7d66692a.jpg

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
The Climb to the Summit

So here are some photos from the very steep climb up the mountain.

100_0176_zpsaddfc9e4.jpg

100_0194_zpsd6d27b0c.jpg

100_0198_zps82feb7c8.jpg

100_0204_zps8fab73cd.jpg

100_0216_zpsb78cc507.jpg

100_0210_zps304aa78e.jpg

100_0194_zpsd6d27b0c.jpg

100_0192_zps29e4f6f6.jpg

The pic doesn't do this insane terrain any justice.

100_0225_zpsd126150d.jpg

Here is the view from the top of the mountain.

100_0226_zps0b0b58b3.jpg

Trail repairs at the summit got Al off of the mountain.

100_0231_zps01ea3f1f.jpg

Pappibri

Awesome Pics guys.. Glad too hear you finally got to really test the capabilities of your H3T Hans. Sorry too hear about your misadventure Recon, but at least it was a cheap fix, and one you can get done in time for your rally event thing you got coming up... Thanks for sharing the pics.:thumbs:

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Uwharrie usually closes for winter. I think some time in December till March. Don't remember exact dates. I'm game to going out again any time after the Overland Rally & Workshops. November 10th I'll be there for sure for the Veteran's Ride weekend.