• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Looking to install a Backup Camera

justin94tt

So I have been looking at the option of installing a backup camera on my truck and would like to know every ones thoughts.

Option 1 - I located a New Rear View Mirror that still has the compass and temp along with a 3.5 lcd screen and auto dimming feature. Part GM #25958623. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GM-25958...3ced76&vxp=mtr This mirror still uses the same 16 pin plug that my original mirror uses. A friend brought up the concern that because my original mirror has Onstar incorporated in it and the new one would not would there be any problems. The Mirror is $225 and $18 for a Ebay camera.

Option 2 - Replace the head unit with a Kenwood DDX419, dash kit, and antenna adapter ($349) install a Crux GM integration, it doesn't have the onstar capability because I do not use ONSTAR but keeps the door chimes and alarms ($30). Ebay camera ($18). Crutchfield Website

What would be the decision you guys would make and what concerns would you have if any from either option.​

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
For about 100 bucks i saw at auto zone a wireless cam, that you wired the camera and transmitted into some wires at the back of the truck, and it transmitted to a screen up front.

Other than that i would do an oem install

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

cbetts

NERD!!!
I put a license plate mount camera just below the spare:

(click image to view larger version)

I found the camera on Amazon (Pyle PLCM-10). It includes night vision using I/R leds. Works well. Of course, the requires some sort of device to view. I already had a Pioneer navigation radio that accepted a composite video input specifically for the camera.

I had a wireless for a while. I guess it does the job but you have an extra screen on the dash. Sometimes you can pickup signals from other cameras like from houses and businesses. It also had a little static since it is hard to get line-of-site in a Hummer.

skippy

I did drill a hole in the inner hub on the spare and put it in that looks neat
the only thing is that you have to disconnect it when you change a tyre
that is in the standard wheel

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
I have the OEM backup camera and display in the rear view mirror. It works OK, but I wish the display was larger. I have thought about upgrading the head unit to on OEM navigation system just to get a larger display without losing any of the integrated functionality (I use OnStar and I like everything else to work).

My backup camera works great in the dark since whenever it is activated the backup lights are also on.

skippy

the only problem i see with the camera at the hitch is that when wheeling it gets muddy real easy at least with it on the spare wheel it keeps a little cleaner?

cbetts

NERD!!!
the only problem i see with the camera at the hitch is that when wheeling it gets muddy real easy at least with it on the spare wheel it keeps a little cleaner?

Mine didn't get hit too bad when mudding.
DSCF0871.jpg

Then again, it only takes a few extra seconds to wipe it off you you are cleaning the tail lights anyways,

Attachments

• DSCF0871.jpg
    DSCF0871.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 2,793

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Mine came with factory one but had to custom install it in the rear ARB bumper. Now that I don't have rear windows, it's critical for me to have it. I want to rig it in a way that it stays on as soon I turn on ignition.

cbetts

NERD!!!
Mine came with factory one but had to custom install it in the rear ARB bumper. Now that I don't have rear windows, it's critical for me to have it. I want to rig it in a way that it stays on as soon I turn on ignition.

Check the specs on that camera before wiring it that way. Many small cams will burnout in a few days. Mine actually melted the lens and needed to be replaced. Good thing it was only about $20.00 on Amazon. :link:

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
How can a camera melt? I can see the screen burning out if it isn't built to run constantly. Very good point though. I wonder where I can find the factory camera and monitor specs?

Last edited:

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
How can a camera melt? I can see the screen burning out if it isn't built to run constantly. Very good point though. I wonder where I can find the factory camera and monitor specs?

Even though those little CMOS cameras only dissipate a fraction of a Watt, it is a small package so if there isn't a good conductive heat path they will burn up. We use then in some of our smaller products and we have to be very careful to secure them to the metal structure to conduct the heat away. A tech was testing one on the bench once and he left it on while he went to lunch and the camera was destroyed when he returned. The lens was OK because we only use glass lenses, but the IC was gone and the circuit board was turned to charcoal. Actually charred fiberglass with no epoxy left. We always say what wrecks electronics is letting the smoke out.

If you get a high end camera with a metal case and mount it to a metal surface with good metal to metal contact it should be OK.

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Great info. Thanks! My head unit allows me to add two cameras. Might get two decent ones and run them as "rock-cams", so I can see where the wheels are going. The H3 has really bad visibility issues.

JPaul

If your H3 didn't have the camera to begin with it is extremely unlikely that you'll be able to use it at all, it has to be able to work through the BCM (or some other module) and the rear view mirror display. It cannot be hooked up to an aftermarket display.

And as far as I know, you cannot order the harness, or if you can, it is going to be a right PITA to swap them, I think it is part of a much larger body harness that runs to multiple points. You'd be better off making your own harness using the schematic on Schwarttzy's site and running that.

If your H3 did have the backup camera and it's just missing or damaged, then yes it will work. Otherwise you're better off selling it and getting a standalone system, either a prepackaged one or putting together your own like I did.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk