• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Side airbag deployment - who has had issues?

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sam had one. I met a guy at Tustin that had one. I can't remember but it seems like 4-6 have piped up on the forums about it.

OLDBULL

Probationary Member
My side airbags deployed on me going up a small hill in September 2016. I called GM as soon as it happened. They sent out investigators. Six weeks later they sent me their analysis of what happened. They said my vehicle detected a roll over... At 2 mph going straight uphill. I own a 2009 Alpha Adventure Package. Needless to say, they said they will cover the cost, even though the vehicle detected a rollover, and did what it was supposed to do. I should be finally getting my vehicle back tomorrow. As much as I like my alpha, I am not in love with it. I got rid of my 100 series land cruiser and regret it. It was the second best vehicle I have ever owned behind my lexus ls430. I will never part with it until the wheels literally fall off. I wheeled the 100 a lot harder then I have my alpha, and I never had any issues. It seems every time I wheel my Alpha, something breaks. I am throwing a for sale sign on the Alpha and will be getting another 100 series cruiser.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
GM has typically not covered the airbag issue without a fight. Maybe all the Takata issues have them being a little more reasonable.

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
The reason GM might react to the side airbag problem is called Mary Barra. I doubt if it is the Takata issue that affects almost every auto manufacturer and in many cases more than GM. And Takata is not a programming or sensor issue like the side air cushions but a manufacturing issue of a supplier.

Barra has really cracked down on engineering when it comes to possible safety issues. Had a recall (software programming) on my GMC that could possibly affect one in a thousand vehicles where the seat belt pretensioner might not operate, so GM recalled all vehicles that might be affected. (FCA did the basic same recall after GM issued there recall and rumor was that they only did it cause GM did and that would not look good in court.)

As for the H3; I banged mine on a few rough roads when I had it and only real problems were the rear shocks/springs and a radiator leak. I abused it and it still kept taking it.

But I do believe we have a one message Toyota loving TROLL posting about how bad the H3 is so I have to questions the entire post and if air cushions actually deployed..
slaphippo.gif~original

I just have a problem with the first post being only a complaint, and how great something else is in regard to a vehicle, phone, trailer, whatever the forum is about. Just me I guess and too damn old to change.

Last edited:

USMC_315

This happened to me when I was wheeling with Bowser-II and napalmsticks, nothing at all to cause them to deploy. Just kinda happened. GM threw a big fit about not fixing it because there was mud on my car. They said that it meant I was probably doing something the car was not built for. My reaction, "Who the hell did you market them to?!". Thankfully my insurance picked it up and covered it. New airbags, new seat belts, and new headliner (which I desperately needed because of a few big stains).

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Not implying it does not happen; I got an informational call from Onstar relating to a possible airbag deployment on Long Canyon's Pucker pass a long time ago but thankfully no deployment. I'm just saying that the number of reported side air cushion deployments vs. number of actual H3's produced is VERY very small. Of course you can always look at it from the point that most H3s never see anything rougher than a gravel driveway. But no way to get a percentage of deployments vs H3s that are actually off-roaded.
I knew someone who had a side bag deploy on a Jeep Wrangler (their bags were side; not rollover and in the seat).