• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Help! Dodge is sinking their teeth ito me

Tractordoll

So I had to bring the Challenger back to the dealer for some stereo work and while I was there I decided to skip looking at muscle cars and instead look at some ram trucks. On their lot they had a Ram 2500 power wagon, complete with cummins diesel and 14 inches of ground clearance. This truck looks like it would do well for a forest ranger or would keep up with a Hummer pretty easily. I was thinking, okay it's definitely way more aggressive than a Ford Raptor although a power wagon to raptor is not a fair comparison.

After I was done ogling (hey women can ogle trucks too), I saw what had to be the coolest truck I have ever seen, and until yesterday never heard of it. The Ram 2500 Longhorn edition. All I have to say is this is a seriously beautiful truck with all the modern amenities. The interior is just so well done and the design and layout was excellent throughout.

Now I am torn. Let me explain it this way.

I am currently working on putting my H2 up for sale. Yes it's a great truck, yes I will probably miss it. I built it up over the span of a few years to be a beast and it is. But now I need a new project. Over here I have been secretly clearing the deck for a new project vehicle. I sold one of my extra tractors this past week which earned me a quick $26K. My goal until yesterday was to sell my H2 and use the combined profits to buy myself an H1. I figure with maybe $50K cash in my pocket I would easily have the cash to buy a nice H1. Now I am not so sure anymore. Many of the new models standard features were las years "special" features.

I know what I am about to say is not a fair comparison but hear me out. Right now my H2 is a dedicated offroading rig. Most of the time I start it up, drive it around the neighborhood and then park it. If I buy an H1, it wll be the same thing. Drive around the neighborhood and generally just parked until offroding day. The H1 although it's a cool design is a little long in the tooth. If I buy a truck I will need to sink some money into it to keep it (a) mechanically and cosmetically sound and (b) technologically up to date. If I go this route then it's an offroad only machine or maybe even just a collectors item.

On the other hand, suppose I bought a nice cummins equipped ram, I could also have a heck of a nice truck, with more modern features. In many ways I wish this is what Hummer would have become. I sat in one of the trucks and just couldn't believe how comfortable it was. There was just so many features that don't exist in any hummers at all. Plus it's brand new, which means warranty and no headaches.

So now I am back to scratching my head and not knowing what to do. Even if someone comes and says GM trucks are the best thing since sliced bread, I could care less. I promise to go to my grave and never buy another GM vehicle and that's a promise I intend to keep. If only Hummer was still here the debate would be over.

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
If I was ever to get a diesel truck, it would definitely be a Power Wagon. The two reasons being the Cummins and the solid axles.

Green 1

Matty Patty Pookie Bear
If you want the truck buy it but quit trying to make us tell you it is the right thing to do or it compares to an h1 in any way. If you want the truck buy it and you can be like everyone who has a Dodge. Also if you think the Dodge is the coolist truck you have seen it sounds as you have made your decision. Don't take this personal I am half way around the world and trying to quit tabacco after a many decades of use. I am just a little grumpy and to the point.:)

erdlen65

Just adding my .02 in jan I bought a ram big horn and love it. The power waggon is really nice but after looking at pricing and I was buying it as a construction vehicle I decided not to spend the extra cash to beat it up. IMHO I would go with the h1 if you have the means to have one you should get it before they become even more scarce. Our HUMMERS in general are a dieing breed and over time will be harder to come by, if you pass up the chance to get one now while you can I would.

HUMMER INVESTMENTS

[o O IIIIIIII O o]
Dodge Power Wagon

Good:
Warranty
Its New
More comfortable
Will be used more
Won't spend as much money on it ( ie. Repairs, upgrades, ect )
Lots of ways to add your personal touch

Bad:
Not as cool or as "elite"
Not as good offroad as the H1
Will have all that extra money to spend on something different than Hummers
Truck Value decreases steadily
Will invest money that you may not ( but still could ) get back.

H1:

Good:
Best in Class off road
Your "Cool Factor" increases
The truck value stays the same
Lots of ways to make it your personal touch
If you get a good truck, you could invest your personal touch, and sell it for just as much.

Bad:
Depending on who you ask, it can be very uncomfortable
You wont really use it every day
No warranty
Used- most will need maintenance mechanically and cosmetically

These results may or may not vary

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Angela you have to love what you drive. Life is too short to spend hours a day in a vehicle you don't love. Any of us with multiple vehicles have ones that sit for long periods of time. One of my H1s is a dedicated trail rig, that is really all it is for. Another of the H1s is driven only every few months. Get a vehicle that you like to drive everyday for your DD. Then get the part time toy that you really want and don't worry that it sits a lot of the time. All of the vehicles you are discussing are cool in their own way. I have always tried to buy vehicles that either I can make money on or that retain a higher percentage of their purchase price value where possible. That is one of the reasons I have owned so many vintage Corvettes, Ferraris and H1s. I have needed tow vehicles and have lost money on every truck I ever bought but I broke even on one H1 and made money on every other one I ever sold. Not many vehicles you can do that on. H1 prices are rising and nice trucks are getting harder and harder to find. Evidenced partially by the fact that I haven't bought on in almost two years. If you decide to buy the truck you will still be able to find a nice H1 later, it will just cost more than it does today. My weekend/fun cars only have to fulfill their duty as a hobby vehicle. ( mid- year Corvettes are cool, fun to drive periodically and hold value or appreciate )( H1s are cool, fun to wheel occasionally and hold their value or appreciate in value) if the second truck is only going to be a weekend driver just evaluate if it does what you want from your hobby vehicle. If so you have your answer.
as to H1 maintenance, if you buy a truck that is current keeping it current isn't hard or all that expensive. I bought the 92 several years ago, use it as a wheeling truck almost exclusively and after going through everything you would normally go through on a vehicle I have fixed the AC, a squealing belt and currently have some transmission shifter linkage problem. None expensive and not bad for a 20 year old truck that spends most of its time crawling rocks, in the dirt/ sand etc. no half shafts, tie rods, idler, pitman arms, ball joints...nothing. Either buy them right or get them right as soon as you buy and the H1 won't be anymore problematic than any other heavy duty truck it's age.

Last edited:

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
Uh, I gotta go with the new guy there---a Dodge diesel Power Wagon? You said what? A diesel Power Wagon? Unless that is brand new to the Dodge stable, there's no such animal.
If it is new to the Dodge stable, guess who's trading their deuce for the only thing that could ever get me excited enough to trade the deuce? This guy!
The only thing that almost steered me away from buying our deuce was a Power Wagon sitting in the service dept. at the dealer in Utah. It had busted rear axle and was in for replacement. The guy who owned it was running a serious lift kit, running on 37's and regularly took it to Moab. It was bad ASS! The truck was for sale once the axle was fixed, with a full warranty on the new axle. It was offered at a great price with low miles, but I just couldn't get past running that massive of a truck with a Hemi. I'd already owned the Hemi 300 and towed a trailer with it--it never passed up stops at the gas station.
So, a Cummins PW? I'd take that in a heartbeat!!

As for HUMMER investments--"it's not as cool or elite"; Shut the front door! Power Wagons are just as cool and probably more "elite" than my deuce, I see about a hundred 2's for every PW!

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Made money on one of my two H2s but wouldn't suggest a duece as an investment. H1s on the other hand have done better for me over the last 5 years than real estate or the stock market on a return basis. Are cars true investment vehicles, no, I just happen to make money on most of the ones I buy.

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
Woah, Dave, your Alpha is gone!

Angela, a lot of what you said is really true. I'll admit that I have thought about how much fun a Raptor or even a new JK could be. My T is a wicked truck, and the culmination of years of hard work for me. It's a real looker too, if I don't say so myself. :wink: That said, there are plenty of things about my truck that I dislike. The seats are very average - neither comfortable nor uncomfortable. The friggin' steering wheel doesn't telescope. The head unit was old technology in 2004. The stereo is awful. I don't have a glove box light. No dual zone climate control (for us H3 guys, anyways). The trip computer is about as useful as a poopy-flavored lollipop. The interior plastics squeak more than a mouse (at least with my rear end in the seat). I mean, when they came up with the interior design for the 3, cutting technology was not on the forefront of the checklist.

But you know what? I still love the truck. It's big, thirsty, slow and all mine. Every day I see a looot of Jeeps, a bunch of other pick-ups, maybe a half dozen H3s, and zip-zero-zilch H3Ts.

I'd be fibbing if I didn't say I've thought about a trade-in. I think I could probably almost trade straight-up for a new JK. Right now I'm commuting 120 miles every day, and it's essentially costing me a day of work per week just to drive to work! Something that even got just 20 mpgs would really be a huge help. Thing is, I haven't had the heart to do it. I just think I would regret it. I have grand visions of giving it to a son someday, or taking it to auction and selling it for 6 figures (haha) in a couple decades as some rarity/posterchild for the Y2K decade. Time will tell I suppose.

The idea of air-conditioned leather seats, advanced technology, fuel efficiency and new-car-smell is damned tempting...but I think I'm most afraid of blending in.

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
No glove box light...Hans you are really roughing it in that T. :)

When it's dark and you need to find a screw driver or a band aid...man it's the worst. :wink:

Guess I'll be going to the Ford dealer tomorrow to order my Raptor...

Tractordoll

Angela you have to love what you drive. Life is too short to spend hours a day in a vehicle you don't love. Any of us with multiple vehicles have ones that sit for long periods of time. One of my H1s is a dedicated trail rig, that is really all it is for. Another of the H1s is driven only every few months. Get a vehicle that you like to drive everyday for your DD.

Here's my dilemma. I have taken astonishingly good care of my H2, heck all of my Hummers. If I have to replace a part on it, I replace it with something better. If I need a new screw, I'll buy stainless steel grade 8 hardware. And yet, I see the value of the H2s evaporating into thin air. I've been seeing 10K H2's nowadays. I'm sure they are probably going to be clunkers, but low value will always set the bar. I'm sitting here thinking why I do keep this truck around with it being a total loss? Why not buy a brand that's still around? I feel like I am grimly hanging on until my truck has a 3K resale value and then it will be worth more as scrap metal than as a vehicle. I'm sure in the long run H2's may retun in value once they hit the bottom of the depreciation curve and all the dumb kids buying the low value trucks beat them straight into the junkyard. But that day is a long ways away in my book. I would need to keep the H2 locked up in a barn somewhere for the next 20 years.

Even my 3T, I have seen 2010's selling in the 23K range and these trucks are so rare. Then I look at the H1 and I wonder about parts availability. I'm guessing that if I were to buy a truck it would be a mid to late 90's vehicle. That will make it almost 20 years old. Heck in a few years it will qualify for antique plates. How hard will it be to buy parts for a vehicle that old and with such limited production quantities? There's no dealers anymore so where do the parts come from?

I like taking care of my vehicles and the last thing I want is a truck held together with baling wire and weekend welding projects because part X is no longer made or available. I am also beginning to question if I wanted to buy a vehicle and make the investment in restoration. That would be the only way I would be satisfied that the truck meets my own standards.

Green 1

Matty Patty Pookie Bear
Here's my dilemma. I have taken astonishingly good care of my H2, heck all of my Hummers. If I have to replace a part on it, I replace it with something better. If I need a new screw, I'll buy stainless steel grade 8 hardware. And yet, I see the value of the H2s evaporating into thin air. I've been seeing 10K H2's nowadays. I'm sure they are probably going to be clunkers, but low value will always set the bar. I'm sitting here thinking why I do keep this truck around with it being a total loss? Why not buy a brand that's still around? I feel like I am grimly hanging on until my truck has a 3K resale value and then it will be worth more as scrap metal than as a vehicle. I'm sure in the long run H2's may retun in value once they hit the bottom of the depreciation curve and all the dumb kids buying the low value trucks beat them straight into the junkyard. But that day is a long ways away in my book. I would need to keep the H2 locked up in a barn somewhere for the next 20 years.

Even my 3T, I have seen 2010's selling in the 23K range and these trucks are so rare. Then I look at the H1 and I wonder about parts availability. I'm guessing that if I were to buy a truck it would be a mid to late 90's vehicle. That will make it almost 20 years old. Heck in a few years it will qualify for antique plates. How hard will it be to buy parts for a vehicle that old and with such limited production quantities? There's no dealers anymore so where do the parts come from?

I like taking care of my vehicles and the last thing I want is a truck held together with baling wire and weekend welding projects because part X is no longer made or available. I am also beginning to question if I wanted to buy a vehicle and make the investment in restoration. That would be the only way I would be satisfied that the truck meets my own standards.

You will always have bottom feeders with low value in any market. That is normal, but you always have the cream of the crop which sets the standard and the upper end pricing. As far as parts go I would be more concerned with parts for a T than an H1. How many H1/HUMVEE's were made and how many T's. H1 parts will be around a long time and the trucks are relatively easy to work on. To me for value , long term value and fun there is no match to an H1. My truck is a lower priced truck by design. It is simple very good mechanical and has a lot of upside potential.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
The military owns over 100,000 HUMVEEs. AMG is coming out with the HUMVEE C kit for the civilian market. H1 parts are probably more plentiful that H2 or H3 parts in many respects. I used to be into old Corvettes. believe it or not you can do a complete ground up restoration on a 62 Corvette using NOS, and Repro parts. The H1 parts niche will be filled. As to H2 and H3s...GM can kill them t supporting the parts stream but AMG has shown they are willing to stay in the parts business and are required to do so by their government contracts. I wish GM would take care of their customers the way AMG does.

M22KLARS

Unsafe At Any Speed
The H2 is a GREAT truck. I will still own one someday. The SUT version of course. :) But like Dave said it could get hairy here in the near future for parts availability.

P.S. ...what version of the Chally do you have???