• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Camshaft position sensors replacement

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
There are two camshaft position sensors on the H3 - Intake and Exhaust. I replaced both of mine after getting a couple of codes a few times over the past year: P0014 and, if I recall correctly, P0340. Both went away after a few engine cycles.

Here are the parts (for my 2007, yours may be different):
Intake: AC Delco 2131649 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EQQVFS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01
Exhaust: AC Delco 2133519 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NWA6B8/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

i-r97kXK4-L.jpg

First, do not pic a 110 evening and do this with the engine at near operating temperature. You will burn your hands a curse a lot.

Intake is located in the front of the engine near the fan. Remove bolt with a 10 mm socket, pull out of engine block. It is a bit snug as there's an O ring to seal in the oil and seal out dust. It will be easier to disconnect the wires once you remove the sensor from the engine.
i-zq2BkbF-L.jpg

To undo the clip: release the white/gray safety clip by pressing in the center tab in front and pulling upwards (towards the wires). Once you remove the safety clip you'll be able to pinch the black clip and pull the harness off of the sensor
i-BXGSmCq-L.jpg

In the center you can see the black clip that will be released when you pinch the other end
i-5h4Kcqt-L.jpg

A new sensor. Lightly coat the O ring with new engine oil before inserting into the engine.
i-GWVf7SP-L.jpg

Push the sensor into the hole and be sure to get it in all of the way so you feel it pop in place. Tighten bolt and reconnect wiring harness

Exhaust sensor is located to the left (as you face the engine) of the oil fill, adjacent to the radiator hose.
i-38xzWMm-L.jpg

I used a 1/4 ratchet and barely had enough room to work. It would be easier if the wiring could be easily removed first but as you see the clips are not easily accessible so I again removed the sensor first before I unclipped the harness
i-8wGTztr-L.jpg

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
I actually have a set in my" spare sensor box" along with many others. Great simple write up.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Not difficult work by any means but the exhaust one took me a while to locate (needed Bigunit's help as he has a service manual) especially with everything under the hood stained the same color from dirt and grease.

Hunner

Yes I believe there is. I had to have a GM dealer set mine with a GM Tech II device after installing a modified pcm on my I-5 as I got a total replacement unit.
Good pictures and write up Alrock.

D

Dennis

Cam Position Sensors for 2006 H3

Exhaust: AcDelco 213-1557 (different for the 2007)

Intake: AcDelco 213-1649

Mattel

Probationary Member
Im getting the occasional error code on the exhaust camshaft position sensor bank 1. It states "Pos timing over advanced bank 1"
Is that a tuning issue? or is could it just be a sensor?

08H3

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to contribute something to it that might save someone a little time in the future. I was trying to find the part number for each sensor for a 2008 I5, but no matter where I looked I could only find one number, and it did not indicate whether it was intake or exhaust. After actually physically looking at the engine, guess what-- there is only one sensor (exhaust) on a 2008. I presume it's the same on a 2009 and 2010 as well. Might save someone from looking for a part that does not exist like I did.