• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H2 Long Travel Suspension

Humvee21

Thanks Bebe! What should we be concerned with if we were gonna bolt that Dixon Bros kit on? Would the 4.5" wider apply to the H2's as well?

bebe

Thanks Bebe! What should we be concerned with if we were gonna bolt that Dixon Bros kit on? Would the 4.5" wider apply to the H2's as well?

Yes, it does...but keep in mind the offset of the wheel will also affect overall width.(Edit: and I forgot side (lateral) load on the wheel bearings too) A GM tuck wheel has a different off-set and backspace than the H2. It's worth giving Dixon Bros a call to get specifics before you order. 9" over all is only 4.5" per side, and that can easily be changed with a 0 offset vs a 3" offset. (Sorry, I read the width wrong, but the same principle still applies, you just have to play with the measurements)

And Big,

There really isn't a problem with increasing width as long as you apply it to the rear too. My front axle width from Outside Tire to Outside tire went from 75" OEM with 35" KM2's to 80" Outside Tire to Outside Tire with 38" KM2's. The WMS to WMS increased 3" overall. The rear didn't increase at all except for tire width and it's no problem at all.

Last edited:

[__--MUD--__]

4.5" over all is only 2.25" per side, and that can easily be changed with a 0 offset vs a 3" offset.

Thats 4.5" per side from the looks of the pic, 9" total. Those front tires are 3/4 the way out of the fenders. Looks kinda stupid w/ out extending the rear axle to me.
99-06%20chevy%204wd%20lt7.jpg

bebe

Extending - or widening? A 2" space in the rear per side will help as well.

I think it looks bad ass.

Last edited:

bebe

That kit is also for a 1500 suspension not a 2500. Different control arms and knuckles I think.

That's why I said call and ask......I think they are similar, because the 1500,2500,3500 Shafts all fit in the H3 knuckle, and if the 2500,3500 and H2 shafts which are all the same, then the only thing to look for now is the UCA AND LCA mounting and pivot points.

SummitUp

High On Hummers!
Also keep in mind that if you live in snow country it's really important that the front and rear track width is the same. If the track width is not the same the rear wheels will have to work just as hard as the front wheels to bust through the snow, making it twice as hard to keep forward momentum, especially in deep snow.

autumn walker

anyone ever act on this?

by nature of IFS to get more travel you need to extend the a-arms so you're going to widen the track if you don't mess with the back spacing on the wheels. I really don't want to widen the truck anymore, they are strict on fenders covering tread here and I'm already pushing it for fitting on the trails!