Welcome to the H4O - HUMMER 4x4 Off Road.
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Baja

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Rich View Post
    I like those! I think they will be real popular. I think you could've used another truck as a model...yours' has taken a beating on the u from all the road salt, etc. ;^)
    Lol, the photo makes it look worse than it really is, I cranked up the contrast in the photo to make the colors pop.

El Diablo
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,338 Times in 1,659 Posts
    Looking good on the prototype? But why did you need custom u-bolts? It would seem that the OEMs would work, with cutting of the extra length after installation. Also, the u-bolt holes in your plates go right up the vertical risers that surround the leafs. You're able to get nuts onto those bolts?

Street Tire
    Thanks
    Looking good so far How thick is the plate steel? You will want it pretty thick with no supporting gusset between the shock area and the leaf spring portion as the forces applied from either hitting a rock or hard bottoming might bend the shock area over. Since you are still in prototype phase, might consider adding a gusset to tie these two area together.

How far does the shock get raised over OEM setup?

I'm also curious to hear responses to Alrock's above questions. Be mindful that you can only widen the u-bolts slightly as the reinforcement atop the axle housing offers very little room for widening the u-bolt spacing, but there should be enough to make it work.

Baja

Thanks
    Wow just got done with Burning Man, I'll be home in a couple days and be kicking these thing into over-drive.

Quote Originally Posted by alrock View Post
    Looking good on the prototype? But why did you need custom u-bolts? It would seem that the OEMs would work, with cutting of the extra length after installation. Also, the u-bolt holes in your plates go right up the vertical risers that surround the leafs. You're able to get nuts onto those bolts?
    The OEMs won't work at all because where you would need to cut there are no threads on the U-Bolt. I was able to get the nuts on to the bolt with a little bit of a struggle but I made some changes in the design so it should be much easier now.

Quote Originally Posted by tomp View Post
    Looking good so far How thick is the plate steel? You will want it pretty thick with no supporting gusset between the shock area and the leaf spring portion as the forces applied from either hitting a rock or hard bottoming might bend the shock area over. Since you are still in prototype phase, might consider adding a gusset to tie these two area together.

How far does the shock get raised over OEM setup?

I'm also curious to hear responses to Alrock's above questions. Be mindful that you can only widen the u-bolts slightly as the reinforcement atop the axle housing offers very little room for widening the u-bolt spacing, but there should be enough to make it work.
    The steel is an quarter inch thick, I did consider it but I feel it will not provide any significant gains.

The shock gets raised just a hair over one inch.

I was very aware of having very little room for widening the U-Bolt spacing and my prototype actually was too narrow. With the new adjustments it should sit perfectly.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Schwarttzy For This Useful Post:

alrock (09-04-2012)

Baja

Thanks
    Quick update 9/11/2012 : I'm waiting on one more price quote and then I will have a pre-order on my website, which for the most part waiting for just 7 orders before there made. Getting 7 orders should be no problem seeing as I know that I have at least four people having expressed interest in buying these shackle mounts. Also, I have a second prototype that I will hopefully be uploading photos of soon.

Look for the pre-order on my shop in the next day or two at http://schwarttzy.com/shop/

I'm so excited!
    Last edited by Schwarttzy; 09-11-2012 at 01:32 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Schwarttzy For This Useful Post:

cbetts (09-11-2012)

NERD!!!

Thanks
    I have decided that I am in on this. I am usually the first one to get hung-up on a rock on the stock hangers. I am currently running the BA skids as well which makes it even lower.
    2006 Hummer H3 / Adventure / 5 Speed / No Bling
    2013 Kia Soul+
    2017 Honda HR-V

My mod list:
    My build thread:

Baja

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cbetts View Post
    I have decided that I am in on this. I am usually the first one to get hung-up on a rock on the stock hangers. I am currently running the BA skids as well which makes it even lower.
    YA I hear ya. The photo's don't show how much of a significant difference it is in ground clearance. This should definitely help you out with that problem.

Super Swampers
    Thanks
    Can't wait! Thanks for updating us and I look forward to the pre-order.
    2008 HUMMER H3

Baja

Thanks
    Well I'm proud to says that these things are finally for sale! And not only are they for sale, but the price is $166.00 + shipping primed and powder coated black!

Keep in mind I have to order in sets of 10 so this is a pre-order but it shouldn't take that long to fill that many orders.

Purchase them buy visiting this link http://schwarttzy.com/shop/h3-hummer...spring-mounts/

Street Tire
    Thanks
    I'm curious as to why the end user must also install 2" longer shackles? If the shock is only raised 1", then they shouldn't be required. You can actually raise shock 1.5" maximum and still run factory shocks and shackles.

Are you sure your plates don't raise the shock closer to about 2.5"? The plates we were producing raised the shock about 1.5" but you will notice in the posted pictures that the shock bolt is clearly below the bottom leaf spring. Yours appear to be about an inch higher, making the total about 2.5".
    Last edited by tomp; 09-13-2012 at 10:08 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to tomp For This Useful Post:

Korby7 (04-02-2017)

Hammer Down!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 977 Posts

Re: H3 High Clearance Leaf Spring Mounts

Schwarttzy, how wide is the shock mount gap? I want to see if they are wide enough to fit the wider lower shock mount of the Fox shocks vs. the OEM shocks.
    “Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.”
    John Wayne

Baja

Thanks
    I'm curious as to why the end user must also install 2" longer shackles? If the shock is only raised 1", then they shouldn't be required.
    I never said that they must be install a 2" shackles, I just recommend it.

Baja

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigunit View Post
    Schwarttzy, how wide is the shock mount gap? I want to see if they are wide enough to fit the wider lower shock mount of the Fox shocks vs. the OEM shocks.
    I had never heard that the fox shocks are wider, I just measured the gap at 1 and 7/8 of an inch, if you need it to be wider I can easily change that.

Street Tire
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwarttzy View Post
    I never said that they must be install a 2" shackles, I just recommend it.
    Oh, I now see the comment to the website that says "not required". Thanks for clarifying

Baja

Thanks
    Oh, I now see the comment to the website that says "not required". Thanks for clarifying
    No problem.