• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 High Clearance Leaf Spring Mounts

tomp

They look really NICE!!! Might find on later revision to use slightly thinner plate steel on the shock brackets, as you'll want the tabs to clamp down onto the steel shock bushing to prevent rattling sounds.

Hunner

I didn't have time to bolt the finalized prototype on tonight, but I took some photos after finishing welding it up. I hope to bolt it on and compare it to the HUNNER EXtreme SKIDS I have tomorrow. No hard feelings Hunner, just doing this for comparison sake.

No offense taken.
I have held back my comments on your early design as I felt it was not my place to add any input.
It's obvious mine just cover up the existing bracket and add 1/4 inch now, to that, but retain the full shock travel. However for the type wheeling I often do around here the "skid" feature, both forward and reverse is still the main purpose as well as protecting all of the lower shock mount and bolt head.
I'm not into the shackles after trying that and flattening my spring pack when the H3 is loaded up for trips.
The high clearance spring mount was brought to my attention by OK Offroad when I got limit straps made from him in 06, but felt it needed work for the H3 application, which you have done.
I had a pancake prototype without shock mount as it was considered to move them to the axle at that time. I thought it might work at the time for the H3 but went for the more robust skid area.
A slightly different size did work for older FJ40's.
DAH_7710-1.jpg

There is always room for different types depending on the terrain people wheel over and what damage they experience.
It's is interesting how this has evolved and that people have come along with different ideas after all this time. circa 2006-2012
Mod on!

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
No offense taken.
I have held back my comments on your early design as I felt it was not my place to add any input.
It's obvious mine just cover up the existing bracket and add 1/4 inch now, to that, but retain the full shock travel. However for the type wheeling I often do around here the "skid" feature, both forward and reverse is still the main purpose as well as protecting all of the lower shock mount and bolt head.
I'm not into the shackles after trying that and flattening my spring pack when the H3 is loaded up for trips.
The high clearance spring mount was brought to my attention by OK Offroad when I got limit straps made from him in 06, but felt it needed work for the H3 application, which you have done.
I had a pancake prototype without shock mount as it was considered to move them to the axle at that time. I thought it might work at the time for the H3 but went for the more robust skid area.
A slightly different size did work for older FJ40's.
There is always room for different types depending on the terrain people wheel over and what damage they experience.
It's is interesting how this has evolved and that people have come along with different ideas after all this time. circa 2006-2012
Mod on!

Awesome info!

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
Hear we go, some photo's showing off the awesome ground clearance that these Leaf Spring Shackles have. Just to compare the two designs out there currently, I have my Hunner's Extreme Skid Plate is bolted on the passenger side of my Hummer. These things should make climbing over those rocks a heck of a lot easier for you guys. The shock bolt is a bit trick, if you notice it is in there backwards because there simply isn't enough space. Also not that my Hunner Skid Plates are powder coated using the same way I will be powder coating the High Clearance Leaf Spring.

DSC00849s.jpg

DSC00853s.jpg

DSC00859s.jpg

Last edited:

Hunner

I really don't like how it is designed because when I bolted mine up, there was a very small gap between the leaf spring and skid plate. The problem with that is if you load the vehicle to the point where the leaf spring touches the skid plate, it effectively eliminate over 50% of the spring's flexing under heavy load, and could transfer really high shock loads to the leaf springs weak points causing premature failure.
I feel like since you named my skids and pointed out some differences I should at least offer a few points of info
While I readily admit I did not further pursue a different mount after all I went thru to even get the style I had made, that was also back when I was reluctant to change any OEM setup except to add a bolt on plate. Most everybody was under warranty at the time and were cautious about changing things like shock travel or mounting location.

You did well in tucking that up there with out any added bulk and weight with only part of the shock and bolt exposed.

I will say though that with my 06 heavily loaded with shackles installed, the springs reverse arched but the straight flat overload spring still did not come in contact with the skid. I was a few pounds over GVWR 6080lbs. I'm not sure how you came up with that reducing the springs flexing by 50%? I wheeled about 4000 miles thru 9 states with a lot of offroad pictured in my travel threads and somehow got back home without causing any problems other than the spring pack on it's own without touching the skid did appear to have issues. They came back together after unloading and removing the shackles.
Mod on!
DAH_9817_resize.jpg

Last edited:

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
I feel like since you named my skids and pointed out some differences I should at least offer a few points of info
While I readily admit I did not further pursue a different mount after all I went thru to even get the style I had made, that was also back when I was reluctant to change any OEM setup except to add a bolt on plate. Most everybody was under warranty at the time and were cautious about changing things like shock travel or mounting location.

You did well in tucking that up there with out any added bulk and weight with only part of the shock and bolt exposed.

I will say though that with my 06 heavily loaded with shackles installed, the springs reverse arched but the straight flat overload spring still did not come in contact with the skid. I was a few pounds over GVWR 6080lbs. I'm not sure how you came up with that reducing the springs flexing by 50%? I wheeled about 4000 miles thru 9 states with a lot of offroad pictured in my travel threads and somehow got back home without causing any problems other than the spring pack on it's own without touching the skid did appear to have issues. They came back together after unloading and removing the shackles.
Mod on!

Hunner thanks for taking the high road, I feel like a Dick because I let something else that has been eating away at me get to me, sorry about that. I'm going to change what said to say something better than what I have written, but first it is nice outside, and WINTER IS COMING :giggle:, and I'm going to take my dog for a long walk.

Almost forgot, It's extremely upsetting that we live in a world where it even crosses are minds that my part has the possibility to void the warranty. :sigh: And thank you for that "tucking up" part, I'm very prideful of the work I have done on these shackles because three years ago I couldn't even imagine making these things.

PS Don't loose the stuff you quoted me on so this thread makes sense.

Last edited:

tomp

Can you please show the distance from the ground to the center of the shock bolt on your plates as well as OEM plates as a comparison photo?

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
The spring mounts are looking good! Can't wait to hear some install and use stories from the first buyers.

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
The spring mounts are looking good! Can't wait to hear some install and use stories from the first buyers.

Ya I meant to do a video but half way through I remember and then some buddies showed up... and well you know. I have been driving around with the prototype on the one side, and call me crazy, and I am, but I think it transfers weight better to the road. I turned a corner a little fast and it felt like I dug in better or something.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Ya I meant to do a video but half way through I remember and then some buddies showed up... and well you know. I have been driving around with the prototype on the one side, and call me crazy, and I am, but I think it transfers weight better to the road. I turned a corner a little fast and it felt like I dug in better or something.
Maybe just because your pit crew took a half pound of air out of the right rear tire. :)

Hunner

That could be because of the difference in the mount of your shock height on each side.

Last edited:

cbetts

NERD!!!
So, out of curiosity, I lifted the truck on a jack to see what my tolerances are. I noticed that my ABS sensor lines are just about at their end with the rear axle fully flexed. I am no concerned about the additional movement with the shock mount being higher up. No, this does not mean I am backing out, just think about what else I may need to do once I install the new mounts. Limit the axle with straps or extend the lines. I am also concerned about the sway bar links. I have heard of people popping these once they put in low-profile mounts.

Opinions?

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I know that was directed to him but I can assist with the abs lines...if you don't wanna limit flex pop open that little clamp and pull it out there's plenty of slack. I'd do that unless schwarrty recommends something else that is designed with this

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
So, out of curiosity, I lifted the truck on a jack to see what my tolerances are. I noticed that my ABS sensor lines are just about at their end with the rear axle fully flexed. I am no concerned about the additional movement with the shock mount being higher up. No, this does not mean I am backing out, just think about what else I may need to do once I install the new mounts. Limit the axle with straps or extend the lines. I am also concerned about the sway bar links. I have heard of people popping these once they put in low-profile mounts.

Opinions?

Hmmm, Well I don't think limiting the axle is ever good idea, there are reasons too do it, but I would never want this to be the case for us. Also I would be surprised if a low-profile mounts casued the sway bar links to start making noise, it would be an red flaf for something needing replaced. You are right that it gets close to tugging on the ABS wire, but from what I have seen with mine there is no reason to be concerned unless you disconnect the sway-bar from the rear axle. Now if you happen to disconnect the rear sway-bar and happen to have these leaf spring mounts there is one simple solution, just disconnect the ABS wire from where is connected in the wheel fenders. You need to be mind full of catching on the tire though, but it shouldn't be problem if everything is to spec.

Side note, I have been playing with the idea of making a quick disconnect for the rear sway-bar. It will be a little pricey, but it will be worth it. Imagine just spinning something like the warn hubs and your sway-bars are unlocked.

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
I know that was directed to him but I can assist with the abs lines...if you don't wanna limit flex pop open that little clamp and pull it out there's plenty of slack. I'd do that unless schwarrty recommends something else that is designed with this

LOL you beat me too it, thanks for chiming in.