• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 High Clearance Leaf Spring Mounts

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
Today I test fit the prototype to my Hummer and everything worked fine. Well there is some minor spec adjustments to the final product, but over all I was able to bolt it up. I would have done this sooner, but I had to get custom U-bolts made because of the ground clearance difference from factory to my aftermarket part I have made. I got the powder-coater give me a good price with primer and powder coating, I also got the custom U-bolts priced, and just have the laser cuter to go.

Because of the setup required to make this part for the most part one piece, I will have to buy these in sets of ten or more. Which means I will need to get an order list going before the parts can get made. I wish it didn't have to be this way but I don't have the money currently to front things like this yet.

I hate to count chickens, with the way things are going we're looking at a $150 shipped price point. But don't quote that price yet.

And the real reason you're reading this, Pictures!

DSC00705s.jpg

DSC00712s.jpg

DSC00714s.jpg

DSC00720s.jpg

DSC00724s.jpg

Thanks for you support guys!

Last edited:

08SolarFlareH3

Super Swampers
*Coming Soon* H3 High Clearance Leaf Spring Mounts

Thanks again for the update, you can put me on the list for a set. I got a friend who I know will probably take a set too.

Sent using Tapatalk

Mr_Rich

I like those! I think they will be real popular. I think you could've used another truck as a model...yours' has taken a beating on the underside from all the road salt, etc. ;^)

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
I like those! I think they will be real popular. I think you could've used another truck as a model...yours' has taken a beating on the u from all the road salt, etc. ;^)

Lol, the photo makes it look worse than it really is, I cranked up the contrast in the photo to make the colors pop.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Looking good on the prototype? But why did you need custom u-bolts? It would seem that the OEMs would work, with cutting of the extra length after installation. Also, the u-bolt holes in your plates go right up the vertical risers that surround the leafs. You're able to get nuts onto those bolts?

tomp

Looking good so far:) How thick is the plate steel? You will want it pretty thick with no supporting gusset between the shock area and the leaf spring portion as the forces applied from either hitting a rock or hard bottoming might bend the shock area over. Since you are still in prototype phase, might consider adding a gusset to tie these two area together.

How far does the shock get raised over OEM setup?

I'm also curious to hear responses to Alrock's above questions. Be mindful that you can only widen the u-bolts slightly as the reinforcement atop the axle housing offers very little room for widening the u-bolt spacing, but there should be enough to make it work.

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
Wow just got done with Burning Man, I'll be home in a couple days and be kicking these thing into over-drive.

Looking good on the prototype? But why did you need custom u-bolts? It would seem that the OEMs would work, with cutting of the extra length after installation. Also, the u-bolt holes in your plates go right up the vertical risers that surround the leafs. You're able to get nuts onto those bolts?

The OEMs won't work at all because where you would need to cut there are no threads on the U-Bolt. I was able to get the nuts on to the bolt with a little bit of a struggle but I made some changes in the design so it should be much easier now.

Looking good so far:) How thick is the plate steel? You will want it pretty thick with no supporting gusset between the shock area and the leaf spring portion as the forces applied from either hitting a rock or hard bottoming might bend the shock area over. Since you are still in prototype phase, might consider adding a gusset to tie these two area together.

How far does the shock get raised over OEM setup?

I'm also curious to hear responses to Alrock's above questions. Be mindful that you can only widen the u-bolts slightly as the reinforcement atop the axle housing offers very little room for widening the u-bolt spacing, but there should be enough to make it work.

The steel is an quarter inch thick, I did consider it but I feel it will not provide any significant gains.

The shock gets raised just a hair over one inch.

I was very aware of having very little room for widening the U-Bolt spacing and my prototype actually was too narrow. With the new adjustments it should sit perfectly.

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
Quick update 9/11/2012 : I'm waiting on one more price quote and then I will have a pre-order on my website, which for the most part waiting for just 7 orders before there made. Getting 7 orders should be no problem seeing as I know that I have at least four people having expressed interest in buying these shackle mounts. Also, I have a second prototype that I will hopefully be uploading photos of soon.

Look for the pre-order on my shop in the next day or two at http://schwarttzy.com/shop/

I'm so excited!

Last edited:

cbetts

NERD!!!
I have decided that I am in on this. I am usually the first one to get hung-up on a rock on the stock hangers. I am currently running the BA skids as well which makes it even lower.

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
I have decided that I am in on this. I am usually the first one to get hung-up on a rock on the stock hangers. I am currently running the BA skids as well which makes it even lower.

YA I hear ya. The photo's don't show how much of a significant difference it is in ground clearance. This should definitely help you out with that problem.

tomp

I'm curious as to why the end user must also install 2" longer shackles? If the shock is only raised 1", then they shouldn't be required. You can actually raise shock 1.5" maximum and still run factory shocks and shackles.

Are you sure your plates don't raise the shock closer to about 2.5"? The plates we were producing raised the shock about 1.5" but you will notice in the posted pictures that the shock bolt is clearly below the bottom leaf spring. Yours appear to be about an inch higher, making the total about 2.5".

Last edited:

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Schwarttzy, how wide is the shock mount gap? I want to see if they are wide enough to fit the wider lower shock mount of the Fox shocks vs. the OEM shocks.

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
Schwarttzy, how wide is the shock mount gap? I want to see if they are wide enough to fit the wider lower shock mount of the Fox shocks vs. the OEM shocks.

I had never heard that the fox shocks are wider, I just measured the gap at 1 and 7/8 of an inch, if you need it to be wider I can easily change that.

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
I had never heard that the fox shocks are wider, I just measured the gap at 1 and 7/8 of an inch, if you need it to be wider I can easily change that.

OK, I'll measure it & let you know. This might be the perfect solution to my problem. Thank you.

tomp

Bigunit - Dont you already have the solid plates? They have adjustable width lower shock mounts to accomodate shocks of different widths. However, these new please of his look as if they may raise the shock up high enough to keep them protected, if that's what you were looking for...

Last edited:

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
Alright guys just so this option is out there, but I will be upset if I see people rattle canning these things enter this promo, "nopwder" and you can not have them professionally powder-coated.

I didn't have time to bolt the finalized prototype on tonight, but I took some photos after finishing welding it up. I hope to bolt it on and compare it to the HUNNER EXtreme SKIDS I have tomorrow. No hard feelings Hunner, just doing this for comparison sake.

DSC00845s.jpg

DSC00844s.jpg

Last edited: