• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Clunk when turning left

2007HummerH2

Well the title says it all. I purchased a 09 H3 Championship Edition with 22K miles. Really good shape. I'm going to change out the shocks...they seem really weak. I've done some reading and noticed that these ones came with softer shocks that don't last that long.
The other issue I have is when turning left.
When the body flexes. This is what happens:
I have a loud metallic clunk in the front end.
I feel it through the gas pedal. I do not feel it through the steering wheel.
It is not the body mounts (i'm very familiar with that issue).
It is a loud clank.
Speed is not a factor, it will do it slow or fast.
I'm thinking it might be related to the ladder cage or front skid plates. Does anyone possibly know what this is? It is baffling me, and I don't want to keep driving it and cause more issues, if it is something really bad. I can't imagine it is, but any info would help!

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Check the front skid plate where it bolts to the OEM UCP. The CEs came with the OEM UCP (2009 version) and if the front diff crossmember has been replaced because of a worn-out diff bushing with the newer crossmember version, the UCP tab/hole on one of the sides of the UCP does not line up with the cross member anymore. I'm told that the newer-made/versions of the OEM UCPs are designed so that the holes/tabs do line up with the new crossmeber. The new crossmembers have the UCP mouting hole in a different spot and the original version UCP needs modification to work with the new crossmember. If that is the case, everytime you turn & hit a bump, you are going to get that metal-to-metal clank/clunk because the fromt skid & the UCP are not secured to anything solid. I'm having this problem too & there is an easy fix to it -- or so I'm told. I'm still looking into a fix and will post up as soon as I get under my T and figure it out.

Last edited:

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
You might be right Rich! Well at least it was a forum member who gave it a good home! :cheers:

2007HummerH2

Thanks for the replies.....I've checked out everything.....all seems fine.....
This is so aggravating!
Anymore ideas????

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Could be one of 2 things (1) worn out front diff cross member bushing or (2) the old worn out steering rack bushing that allows the steering rack to move on turns and bumps. Get under the front end of the truck, locate the steering rack bracket & bushing on the passenger side & have someone turn the key to acc (not to start) & have them turn the steering wheel left to right, right to left (full lock to full lock) several times and look to see if your steering rack moves side-to-side or up and down. If it does, the bushing is worn out & needs to be replaced or you can do the Hunner fix and replace the bushing with Hunner's steering rack metal sleeve. The one you see here:

http://www.hummer4x4offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?295-HUNNER-EXtreme-Steering-Rack-Sleeves

Easiest way to solve your issue is to sell me your rig!!:wink: :thumbs:

Your CE is still under warranty so, both or either of these 2 fixes will be covered under warranty. Like many other owners who wheel their rigs, these 2 issues have been common issues on our rigs.

Last edited:

2007HummerH2

Could be one of 2 things (10 worn out front diff cross member bushing or (2) the old worn out steering rack bushing that allows the steering rack to move on turns and bumps. Get under the front end of the truck, locate the steering rack bracket & bushing on the passenger side & have someone turn the key to acc (not to start) & have them turn the steering wheel left to right, right to left (full lock to full lock) several times and look to see if your steering rack moves side-to-side or up and down. If it does, the bushing is worn out & needs to be replaced or you can do the Hunner fix and replace the bushing with Huuner's steering rack metal sleeve. The one you see here:

http://www.hummer4x4offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?295-HUNNER-EXtreme-Steering-Rack-Sleeves

Easiest way to solve your issue is to sell me your rig!!:wink: :thumbs:

Your CE is still under warranty so, both or either of these 2 fixes will be covered under warranty. Like many other owners who wheel their rigs, these 2 issues have been common issues on our rigs.

How much you offering for my rig?:)
Might be something I will consider!

LagunaH1

It could also be the cross member that holds the torsion bars. I had a loud CLANKKKK!! -style noise on my '08 H3 Alpha that only appeared when reversing and turning, like you typically do out of a parking spot. Make sure you can reproduce the issue consistently, then take the truck to the dealer and tell them in detail how to reproduce the concern :cheers:

Good luck and please let us know how things end up going.

2007HummerH2

I wish I had a good dealer near me!
The one Caddy dealer I have is a butcher! I would have to drive approx 4-5 hours to get to a dealer I trust. GGrrrrr!
I'm gonna go over it some more today. See what I can find!

2007HummerH2

Well after careful inspection....it appears the noise is coming from the driver's side rear shock. I also had a nice squeaky noise from the rear leaf springs. Cleaned them and greased them a tad. Noise gone!
I ordered a nice set of gas shocks, and awaiting their arrival. It will ride sooooo much better with a new set! At least it won't feel like a boat on the open ocean :)

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Well after careful inspection....it appears the noise is coming from the driver's side rear shock. I also had a nice squeaky noise from the rear leaf springs. Cleaned them and greased them a tad. Noise gone!
I ordered a nice set of gas shocks, and awaiting their arrival. It will ride sooooo much better with a new set! At least it won't feel like a boat on the open ocean :)
Glad you found the answer, and a nice easy one at that.

2007HummerH2

Well, I did the shock install.....
I went with the KYB Gas-Adjust shocks. I'm really pleased with how they perform. Gives a really nice ride! I purchased them from Partsgeek.com. They were priced right. My local car parts place wanted $30 more per shock, than what I bought them for.
Unfortunately, it didn't get rid of my clunk, when I turn left. I'm really at a loss of what this could be. It happens when you least expect it! Any more ideas would be great!

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Have to narrow down where the clunk is coming from. You thought it was coming from the rear shock so was the noise in the rear? If so, check the stab bar links on the side where you thought the noise was coming from. And is it more of a clunk or could it be a clank? if clank check the fuel tank shield.

2007HummerH2

Have to narrow down where the clunk is coming from. You thought it was coming from the rear shock so was the noise in the rear? If so, check the stab bar links on the side where you thought the noise was coming from. And is it more of a clunk or could it be a clank? if clank check the fuel tank shield.

It is more of a clank. So what should I look at on the fuel tank skid? Loose or debris in there?

ColoradoH3

I know you said you are aware of the body mount issue, but what I see alot is people missing one or two of them when they lube the body mounts. My 2008 did it from the day I bought it. The body mount issue is usually described as a creaking type noise that can sound like a clunk or clank. If you think about this you are turning left which tells me you are unloading the drivers side body mounts (body rolls right) They can tend to pop if not lubed and tightened down good. I would check the very rear mount (tightness and lube) and also the two right ahead of that. (there is one in the in board side of the frame that a lot of people miss near the shock mount) Just my .02.

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Check all the bolts including one that is way up there and noted to break; especially if your fuel tank skid looks like it has taken a beating on rocks.

I had and I say had a clank on the left rear side of the vehicle for months, and then it suddenly disapeared. Checked all the body mounts rear end everything and nothing. Then my bushings in both rear shocks self-destructed and the dealer will be replacing next week, if THEY GET THEM FROM GM. (They actually ordered only one, so they had to order a second one.) That is causing a clanking and a terrible creaking noise. But you already replaced the shocks so that is not the problem.

Here's a service install of body mounts that goes with the ColoradoH3 post:
body-mounts.jpg