• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Devil's Staircase, Broken Arrow Trail, Sedona, AZ

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Jerry S. and I took a buddy of his onto Broken Arrow Trail today. The buddy, Tim, had guests in town and wanted to do the trail. Unfortunately, we couldn't make this an H4O event but I did grab some video of the descent down Devil's Staircase. It's dust covered slickrock and basically a slow slide to the bottom.

There's an inset video here so you might want to watch it full screen by clicking the little square brackets in the lower right corner of the video box

[video=youtube_share;ZOfRpIAvea0]http://youtu.be/ZOfRpIAvea0?hd=1[/video]

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Is that a chopper at the 53 second mark?
Ya.

Were you in low range? I'd think in 4:1 with the trans in manual 1st you wouldn't need the brakes at all....
Too slippery, too much stress on the drivetrain as it would keep jerking the truck to try and stop it. Besides, who the heck has MANUAL 1st? :)

Great video! How long did it take to do the trail?
We were on for a while, maybe 2-3 hours, as we took our time. It's not a long trail.

Paladine71

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
It still amazes me just how tough tires are sometimes. Just think about the pressure of dropping that much weight over rocks, at that angle with the breaks applied.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Well, not always tough enough! Jerry S. put two large cuts in one sidewall yesterday, plus maybe pulled the tire off the bead. It occurred on the same turn where I put a tree branch stub through my tire two years ago. But yeah, these tires do get a workout on the rocks.

Hummjay

Wild Thang
Wow that looks like a lot of fun! Thanks for posting that. Nice camera you got there, alrock. Great resolution and I like how you did the video inset. Very nice! What's your camera setup?

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Camera setup? iPhone and an Android phone. Neither one really does a great job but they are satisfactory for now. As you can see the iPhone color is off, as is the focus, but that's a user error. But it was tough to see in the sunlight how things looked on the screen. Also, the iPhone overheated right after this filming and couldn't be used until it cooled down.

The Android video (the inset video) is shaky. While it doesn't have any true image stabilization it normally takes smoother video than I this one.

Either way, it works for now until luck rains a couple of GoPros onto me. :)

Gunner_45

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dude, If my blind azz can pick out 2 seconds of a Heli flying through the air beihind your truck in the insert video.......

That aint bad quality.

Nice job.

MaxPF

AGNTSA
Too slippery, too much stress on the drivetrain as it would keep jerking the truck to try and stop it. Besides, who the heck has MANUAL 1st? :)

You do. Press the little side button and pull the shifter ALL THE WAY to the rear! That's manual 1st gear. It even engages an extra clutch to lock out the low roller clutch so you get compression braking. Cool, eh? ;) Next time you run this trail, I will go with you and show you how it's done :giggle:

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I do run it in first but there's enough drivetrain slop and delays that the truck does not smoothly crawl down obstacles like this. I use it on hills, etc. but not on steps, etc. as the descents are too quick and jarring.