• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Serious Air Time !!!!

Big2dabank

That makes no sense what so ever. What group of idiots decided to keep the road open with it in that condition. That has to be a fake. The roadway should have crumbled when the car hit it if that were real, typically just the asphalt seperates from the base material.

Pretty good oh **** moment if that were real.

HUMMER INVESTMENTS

[o O IIIIIIII O o]
I've jumped our H3 on accident if that makes sense.:wink: Our roads up in Black Hawk dont get plowed unless its 4" of snow, or really bad black ice. Caught a good piece of black ice, and right ahead of me was a big pile of gravel. Scared the crap out of me, I didnt take any pictures.

seventwozero

The roadway should have crumbled when the car hit it if that were real...

I've never seen a sheet quite that large lift, but over the 4th holiday there were a couple spots on I94 up here that buckled nearly as bad. MNDOT was on the case asap though, they cut the road and patched the gaps with hot patch before the end of the day.

Depending on the mix of 'crete and what sort of reinforcement is placed in it while being laid, I think it's entirely possible for a road to buckle that severely.

Big2dabank

It looked like an asphalt road in the video and asphalt is a flexible pavement with no reinforcement. Usually there are several inches of asphalt overlaid with an inch or so of friction course asphalt over a well compacted base material. The asphalt can expand laterally during extreme heat on top of the base material and can cause buckling, once the asphalt lifts from the base material, it will typically crumble very easily. Its just hard to believe the the force and weight from a vehicle, especially and SUV, traveling at near highway speed would not have cause the buckle to collapse. Its also hard to believe that the DOT would leave the road open in that condition with only flags and bump sign and no troopers or other warnings to slow motorists down and direct them around this section of buckled pavement. I still say fake, but won't loose any sleep over it either way.

Major Tom

not asphalt, but it is air
00000027 (2).jpg

seventwozero

You would think heat-induced road buckling would happen here in southern AZ, but I have never heard of it. Maybe our roads are so well cooked that they are stable?

It really depends on how they are built.

I didn't think about asphalt really, mainly because up here you don't see a whole lot of divided highways done with asphalt. The road salt and brine mixes used in the winter destroy asphalt in a single season so most of the roads are done in good ol' concrete.

I would guess in a state like AZ they have their roads down well, maybe a couple layers of a high flex asphalt is enough there.