• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

XM Radio woes

kflips

I continue to half a lot of 5 second cut offs on my xm radio - I've refreshed it several times, I am not sure if it is a dealer issue, and xm issue, or if it is because of the roof rack interfering with the antenna reception. I could buy a truckers xm antenna and figure out how to mount is low profile in the rack but figured I would ask if anyone else has had this issue and resolved it.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Do you have a Gobi or other rack that goes all the way to the front? If so, it is a rack issue. I believe Gobi has an antenna relocation kit or can recommend one.

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
I have never had any problems with my factory XM antenna with my Yakima rack. But as Alrock is hinting at, if you have a full rack, it might cause some interferrence. Just not sure myself. (I also have an aftermarket Pioneer radio and XM receiver connect via the stock XM antenna, so it might be something else in your system. But I would sure look at the antenna/rack combo first.) XM is very sensitive to antenna location due to having just one satellite (or repeaters in metro areas) to pull from. Although there are actually two sats, unless you are in the center of the USA, you will only pull from either the western or eastern Sat.

ncalphadog

Jaws with Paws
I had the same problem after installing my Gobi Stealth. The Gobi fairing effectively blocks the signal from the XM antenna most of the time.
My solution was to use another XM antenna at an alternate location.The antenna that I chose was the Terk XMicro2 that I bought from Crutchfield http://www.crutchfield.com/p_209XMICRO2/Terk-XMicro2.html?search=terk+xm+antenna

TerkXMicro2bottomview.jpg

TerkXMicro2topview.jpg

I had to do a little modifying of the antenna's Fakra connector with the addition of another slot.

XMicro2Connector.jpg

I ran the new antenna wire out the side of the dash, up the inside of the door gasket, behind the A-pillar trim, to the roof.

ExcessxmwirecoiledbehindPSkickpanel.jpg

Tuckingxmwirebehinddoorgasket.jpg

Routingxmwiretodoorgasket.jpg

RoutingXMwirearoundA-pillar.jpg

A-pillaroutsidemoulding.jpg

The base of the antenna has a very strong magnet, and the antenna stays where you place it.
I chose the center fairing bracket as a nice flat, exposed location.

Gobifairingcenterbracket.jpg

XMicro3oncenterbracket.jpg

Finishedfrontview.jpg

Finished2.jpg

I now get good XM reception, with very, very few times of a momentary blocked signal.

H2Jungle

I am having the same problem with XM on the '08 H2 with the factory Navi/XM head-unit. I may need to try this mod.
I just created a separate thread to also discuss improving GPS reception since it sucks as well.

btw, where exactly is the XM antenna in the '08 H2?

Last edited:

HIROLA

Fun tidbit for those of you who are not happy with paying for XM. When your subscription is up and ready for renewal, consider calling to cancel. They will give you a promotional price (usually half off for a year) just to keep you. I have been doing that now for 5 years. Hell, I just called On-star because they over billed me and they refunded the over bill amount and gave me an extra 2 months for free to say sorry. Good times!!

M22KLARS

Unsafe At Any Speed
Fun tidbit for those of you who are not happy with paying for XM. When your subscription is up and ready for renewal, consider calling to cancel. They will give you a promotional price (usually half off for a year) just to keep you. I have been doing that now for 5 years. Hell, I just called On-star because they over billed me and they refunded the over bill amount and gave me an extra 2 months for free to say sorry. Good times!!

Hahaha awesome. If I didn't have a shade under a million songs on my iPhone I would subscribe to XM. Just don't have that need.

LagunaH1

Same here.... I prefer my iPhone over XM. I had XM for a while when I had my H3 and I'll admit that it IS pretty nice being able to listen to the radio while rolling down the Mojave road