Welcome to the H4O - HUMMER 4x4 Off Road.

Thread: XM Radio woes

Mud Terrain
    Thanks

XM Radio woes

I continue to half a lot of 5 second cut offs on my xm radio - I've refreshed it several times, I am not sure if it is a dealer issue, and xm issue, or if it is because of the roof rack interfering with the antenna reception. I could buy a truckers xm antenna and figure out how to mount is low profile in the rack but figured I would ask if anyone else has had this issue and resolved it.

El Diablo
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,693 Times in 1,865 Posts
    Do you have a Gobi or other rack that goes all the way to the front? If so, it is a rack issue. I believe Gobi has an antenna relocation kit or can recommend one.

Mud Terrain
    Thanks
    Yes -- and thanks for the tip

Mr. Beretta
    Thanks
    I have never had any problems with my factory XM antenna with my Yakima rack. But as Alrock is hinting at, if you have a full rack, it might cause some interferrence. Just not sure myself. (I also have an aftermarket Pioneer radio and XM receiver connect via the stock XM antenna, so it might be something else in your system. But I would sure look at the antenna/rack combo first.) XM is very sensitive to antenna location due to having just one satellite (or repeaters in metro areas) to pull from. Although there are actually two sats, unless you are in the center of the USA, you will only pull from either the western or eastern Sat.

Don't know anything about Hummers, but I do speak Malamute.

Super Swamper
    Thanks
    Maybe post a photo of your roof rack and how it's installed?
    2016 RAM 2500 Power Wagon
    1995 Jeep ZJ V8

NR6E

Jaws with Paws
    Thanks
    I had the same problem after installing my Gobi Stealth. The Gobi fairing effectively blocks the signal from the XM antenna most of the time.
    My solution was to use another XM antenna at an alternate location.The antenna that I chose was the Terk XMicro2 that I bought from Crutchfield http://www.crutchfield.com/p_209XMIC...erk+xm+antenna

I had to do a little modifying of the antenna's Fakra connector with the addition of another slot.

I ran the new antenna wire out the side of the dash, up the inside of the door gasket, behind the A-pillar trim, to the roof.

The base of the antenna has a very strong magnet, and the antenna stays where you place it.
    I chose the center fairing bracket as a nice flat, exposed location.

I now get good XM reception, with very, very few times of a momentary blocked signal.

2009 H3 Championship Edition

HUMMER ON!
    Neal

W4JNG

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ncalphadog For This Useful Post:

Bigunit (09-15-2011), kflips (09-13-2011), LagunaH1 (09-13-2011)

Mud Terrain
    Thanks
    That looks fantastic - really seems to be the thing to do - low profile and spot on. Thanks

Bald Tire
    Thanks
    I am having the same problem with XM on the '08 H2 with the factory Navi/XM head-unit. I may need to try this mod.
    I just created a separate thread to also discuss improving GPS reception since it sucks as well.

btw, where exactly is the XM antenna in the '08 H2?
    Last edited by H2Jungle; 09-14-2011 at 12:18 AM.

Low Profile
    Thanks
    Fun tidbit for those of you who are not happy with paying for XM. When your subscription is up and ready for renewal, consider calling to cancel. They will give you a promotional price (usually half off for a year) just to keep you. I have been doing that now for 5 years. Hell, I just called On-star because they over billed me and they refunded the over bill amount and gave me an extra 2 months for free to say sorry. Good times!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to HIROLA For This Useful Post:

Bigunit (09-15-2011)

Mr. Beretta
    Thanks
    "btw, where exactly is the XM antenna in the '08 H2?"

I believe I already answer theat question in the thread you started yesterday.

Don't know anything about Hummers, but I do speak Malamute.

Unsafe At Any Speed
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HIROLA View Post
    Fun tidbit for those of you who are not happy with paying for XM. When your subscription is up and ready for renewal, consider calling to cancel. They will give you a promotional price (usually half off for a year) just to keep you. I have been doing that now for 5 years. Hell, I just called On-star because they over billed me and they refunded the over bill amount and gave me an extra 2 months for free to say sorry. Good times!!
    Hahaha awesome. If I didn't have a shade under a million songs on my iPhone I would subscribe to XM. Just don't have that need.
    Gone but not forgotten
    R.I.P.

Super Swamper
    Thanks
    Same here.... I prefer my iPhone over XM. I had XM for a while when I had my H3 and I'll admit that it IS pretty nice being able to listen to the radio while rolling down the Mojave road
    2016 RAM 2500 Power Wagon
    1995 Jeep ZJ V8

NR6E

Chapter President

Thanks
    I did the same thing with a relocated XM antenna on my H2 and it has been working great for over two years.
    B I G 2 D A B A N K

2005 H2 SUT, Desert Sand

Bald Tire
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
    "btw, where exactly is the XM antenna in the '08 H2?"

I believe I already answer theat question in the thread you started yesterday.
    Just saw that, good info thank you!