• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Trail Rack "Over H3 Spare"

Hunner

I tried just the fronts so I could steer the front end. I would like to try them at both ends. What we had here was re-frozen snow and ice on top of that. It really did well.
DAH_4477.jpg

Last edited:

Hunner

Thanks, these things are great aren't they? I think GM screwed up. We are going to have to make them what we want going forward. I can honestly say I have had the most fun with my H3 of anything I have owned. I have put a lot of my ideas into this vehicle and really like the results. That is why I like to share what works so others can try those mods. Now I just need to get on the road again........wait I have that CD:shifty:

Last edited:

JoshuaL

NEVERENDING ADDICTION
Hey Hunner I was wondering how the rack is coming along. I didn't know if you have come up with a price yet so I can start saving.

Hunner

Good question. I know he was working on configuring the prototype to work on his equipment and was having some other place do the parts for the basket. I hope to hear something by midweek about how all the parts are coming along. I will get a one off and see what he came up with. Stay tuned.
If I get one late next week I may have to make a road test, and uh test it. I don't want to get too excited though he had a lot going on.
I am supposed to get the steering rack sleeve/bushings about Wed. That will keep me busy while I wait.

Last edited:

Hunner

I have not heard from him. I better go up and socialize and look dejected. He was trying to set up a method to save cost on assembly last I heard. I have to talk to him about rock rings again so I will go Monday and see if he has time. You know how Monday's can be?

Last edited:

Hunner

Back to the rack. I went to the fab shop and asked where the H my project went. Just kidding, I was very diplomatic. He has had two large contracts to work on and I understand he is going for the big ticket stuff. He did have the info all layed out about getting the tubing indexed on cnc lasers and said he just has not had time to put the pencil to it. Do people still use pencils. Sorry but I will keep on this. I'm still uncertain of the market for these but maybe 10 would sell from the feedback I have.

Last edited:

Hunner

I just got back from up there and built a fire under him. This time of year hopefully things will get to the point he will find the time to keep some guys busy on our "custom" projects if they get things cleared out.
Check out the FJ bumper thread.
When he gets a break I am taking my H3 up there and see what we come up with. I can drive into the huge shop right next to all the equipment.

Hunner

I have not given up on this yet. I have a meeting with him this week hopefully and work on a couple of other ideas at that time. Lots of delays for my little job. I'm holding off ordering skids until he gets on this

Hunner

It's frustrating because I thought by now I would at least had a prototype. His production runs of large volumes of course come first. He is doing this as a sideline and interest in offroad vehicles. I like to get things done and have spent a lot of time prototyping other things that I thought we were going to knock out.
The capacity of this place is awesome, something a small fabricator could not do without lots of man hours. Once we get going hopefully some other things will happen.
ucp shhh

CBphoto

Ever do anything with this Dave? I think I only welded up two of them, and you got one in a barter! Not an easy fab, doesn't ship well, hard to make it it less pieces. Paul's design was far superior to mine (more like the one in your first pics), but I'm not sure how many units would really move.

And ya....don't back into a tree with that thing on...it pops the rear window in really quick. :)

CB

Hunner

I have been trying to get some made. I had enough interest to risk it. They guy was working on getting another place that can cut the pieces for the basket part and have them tabbed with inserts to assemble it then just weld the joints. Then he was going to laser cut the pieces and have it bolt together for shipping.
The one I got from Paul I had him cut it in two places and ship in a plywood box.
I'm going up there Monday, weather permitting cause if may snow and then as usual in Arkansas ice and drizzle freezing on that. I need to check my skid order and this and was going to work on the UCP, but if your getting that done I will pass on that style we have discussed. You get to ship them!! ha ha

Hunner

Well at one time I had 10 people wanting these but I guess the traveling has been cut back in this great economy.

Hunner

No, I sort of was waiting on this new place to make the damn skids. They are just swamped and are really nice about NOT doing them. I don't want to burn any bridges with them at this point mainly because they were the only ones that said they would make some of those racks. They of course said more was better and I did not get any responses so sort of eased off of it.
I will get them to make one after the skids and see how they do.
Thanks for asking

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I just looked at this, I have like 50 feet of the same exact size square tubing. I may look into making one but want to keep weight down. How much does it weigh? As I tackle tougher and tougher trails I realize the weight you ditch the better and not sure if its worth the weight. Only thing I wouldnt be able to do is throw in the bend like they did. I can either make the corners at 45 degree angles or 22.5 degree angles but not at a bend like the one you have.

Gunner_45

Super Moderator
Staff member
If I had any sort of fab skills other than paint and hammer (beat it to fit, then paint it to match),
I’d try to just make a frame/bracket assembly of some sort and put one if these light weight trays
on it from Bestop. I’m sure there are even cheaper options out there for the tray part.

36113-lg.jpg

Measures 43" x 23" x 4"

Same could be done for the inside cargo area….Frame that could bolt in using the cargo tie down bolts,
High enough to slide coolers and action packers under, then have room on top for light bulky stuff like
sleeping bags, food and such ****…..covered by a Safari Straps net of course.

(sorry, just some random redneck engineering thoughts I needed to get out of my head...I'll shut up now)

:)