• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Trail Rack "Over H3 Spare"

Hunner

Well then there is a decision to make for some people. I personally just open the back door and stand up to reach an item on my rack or open a side door and step back on top of the tire from there. It's always sumpthin!:)
I use this rack more than I do the top rack for most daily trips but I like both. I will be hauling a second spare on most long trips and I just take it down from the side. I place it at the front of my rack for weight distribution and so I can reach the lighter weight camping gear in a water resistant bag at the back. I can't lift a 35 inch tire on a Hutchinson rim and go down a ladder but I can slide it off the side and try to do a controlled drop!
This old standard picture is how mine looks loaded.
8707sh_resize.jpg

M22KLARS

Unsafe At Any Speed
Don't get me wrong I LOVE the spare rack. I would love to have one. Just not sure if I could give up my ladder. I've done my time climbing up the spare and it's not as fun as it sounds. :) Too bad there isn't a way to integrate the two. Or maybe there is.... Custom ladder coming off the rack?

Ron B

One piece laying there was OD Green and was about 3 foot square with lasered holes all over it. He said guess what that is. Whew, I dunno looks like a platform. It was for working on Hummvees at the arsenal. I guess to hold a tech over the radiator stack so he can get to the engine. The other part of it was not there.

I'll take one of those!! Always wanted to make one but never got around to it.

Hunner

I'm not sure what the rest of it looked like to support it. That does sound like it would be nice. It might make a nice deer stand.

Hunner

Don't get me wrong I LOVE the spare rack. I would love to have one. Just not sure if I could give up my ladder. I've done my time climbing up the spare and it's not as fun as it sounds. :) Too bad there isn't a way to integrate the two. Or maybe there is.... Custom ladder coming off the rack?

I get your concern. The rack already hits about 50 lbs. I sure don't need anymore weight on my rig.
This guy has a huge building full of huge machines and can do anything when he is interested.
He has been wanting a Toyota FJ but today he was studying my H3 while looking at the rack. I may have to find him a 2010 Alpha, then he would be easy to get motivated.

Last edited:

Hunner

We may use the mount support and lighten the basket. Then F5 can test it for us! Maybe load it up with some of Neo's bundles? If I can get him to do the prototype in house we can make just that one and then do lots of photographs to share and get more ideas before a production run and see how it is accepted.

Hunner

May I make a suggestion? How about making it a 2 or 3 piece bolt together unit? I have access to a welder but not everyone does. Set up right a bolt together rack can be just as or at least almost as strong as a welded unit and plenty strong enough for this. I guess if it came in pieces and the average Joe could bolt it together and slap it on, would be a huge bonus IMHO. Its fine if you want to leave the finish raw, because anyone can spray a coat of paint or rattle can bedliner but maybe even consider offering a powder coated unit for a finished product look. Just a couple of suggestions.

To revisit this, the original designer had considered the bolt together but had the same concerns I had about that being a weak point. I asked the fab guy about making a surround two piece bracket that would over lap enough to put two bolts at each end. The issue of powder coating would be if it was done while apart there would be a problem with the welding. If coated apart and then bolted together it might hold up. Either way some touch up might have to be done. The new process powder coating he has done by an outside company across town looks to be the best I have seen. Usually things I have seen done the stuff peels off of sharp edges.
It this bolt up design is tried I would be starting over because I have not tested that. We are set to do some re-engineering but keep the basic overall design.
stay tuned.

Hunner

That is interesting. Shots of that H3 with the Rancho and spring over in the rear have been around on several forums. I consolidated the ones I had saved and lightened them and sharpened them the best I could with what was there, and posted them in a lifts and spring over thread. I found out the ones I had were shot in town but they were all UNDER the vehicle. I was told Speedy and Sewie shot some of those.
These are the first I have seen the whole vehicle. I did look closer at that rack. Maybe if GM would have left those guys at the Proving grounds alone they would have come out with the MOAB edition and some other great stuff.
modified-hummer-h3-alpha-on-hell-revenge-at-2008-easter-jeep-safari-in-moab-ut-zoom.jpg

modified-2008-hummer-h3-alpha-at-hell-revenge-off-road-trail-united-states-zoom.jpg

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
That is a nice rack. I want one but my damn ladder is in the way. I wish GM left em alone. I mean we wanted an H3 v8 we got one. they made a moab edition for more clearance. We wanted a front locker we got one. And so on. A company actually listened to its buyers who knows what could have been done to the front end in future models but all that is gone....

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Hunner

Just got a call from the fabrication shop. He is working on the over spare or Jamboree rack design. We have come up with some ideas so that it can be produced with his forming equipment. It is still possible we may use an outside plant with a laser tubing cutter to form the bends. A clamp of sorts to fit at the breakdown point so it can be double bolted and have strength. Possibly forming the basket frame rather than the square tubing to save labor and costs.
Talked about replacing the expanded metal basket bottom. We both agree that stuff has lots of sharp edges and all have to be welded to the frame to prevent finger biters. That stuff also does not hold paint well and wastes a lot. Looking into replacing that with a flat sheet with laser slots or holes so water will not stand on it.
So things are busy around the Hunner EXtreme Hummer Hut and Skunk Works.
More news in the skid section.

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Hunner,
Now that Cotilo and I have a new "baby" on the way, I now have a need and place for one of those Jamboree racks from the Hunner EXtreme Hummer Hut and Skunk Works! :hans:

Hunner

I kind of had a mental picture of that rig they used in Daktari with the Duke and Red Buttons chasing down game in Africa. You would have to get the kid some goggles at least!
I will put you down as a possible BigUnit if you still have time to wheel. lol

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Great point of reference Hunner but "Hatari" was the movie with the Duke & Red Buutons! Daktari was the TV series with aniaml vet & the lion named Clarence. :)

WOW! That's going back to my childhood! I didn't think I had any brain cells left for that one but I guess I still do! The doctors are right - wine does make your mind sharper & helps you live longer!!! :thumbs:

Hunner

Well I was close, I am to the point my internal hard drive is a bit fragmented! Either way both were in Black and White when I first saw them!
I was going to add goggles like they wore on Rat Patrol but was afraid that would really let out how old I was.
I hear beer only kills the weak brain cells and new ones grow, so you could maybe get smarter drinking beer?

Hunner

I travel a little heavy when outfitted for long trips, (expedition sounds cooler) I constantly struggle with what to leave behind. Maybe the Alpha has stiffer springs? In your case I think the leverage farther out there is your enemy! The spare rack is tucked in closer and I can wheel with it on there.
I was looking at those suggestions for travel in Colorado and if I can work it out I am thinking of coming out that way, just not sure when yet. I did not get to see enough last time.

Hunner

I don't mind some snow, I drive a Hummer H3!
By the way I have two set of high speed snow chains like State Troopers use, I bought for my first trip out that way but they are for 285 tires. I used one set around here one day just to see how they work when we had refrozen snow and ice. Drove to the post office and back 10 miles.
You need some?
e8x64493.jpg

DSC_8577.jpg

DSC_8578.jpg

Last edited: