• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

HUNNER EXtreme Steering Rack Sleeves

Hunner

EDIT:9/26/12
I'm going to attempt to delete posts that are not specific fixes just comments. No offense to anyone. The best I can tell is it will still show up that I deleted it. It has been discussed we needed a clean thread on the solutions.

Links for more info on this fix by others.
http://www.hummer4x4offroad.com/for...-way-to-fix-the-steering-rack-issue-on-the-H3
http://www.hummer4x4offroad.com/for...er-Sleeve-question-problem&highlight=steering
contact me if you have any other questions or suggestions.

Pricing and availability;
$40 shipped.

I worked out how to place the order by sending a Purchase order and arranged payment by business account check, and shipping, thru a mutual agreement by setting up an account. I don't have to do that much for my small business of Yacht Repair and Photography.
Custom production order approx. 3 weeks
I ordered 20 to get a bit of a price break, so that should take care of 13 of you that posted so far and I will fill the orders in the order of the posts first. It's been years since I did this mod and only two people have bought any by asking if I could get them. Now I guess mileage offroad is accumulating.
What will happen is to get that price again I would have to get 20 more and I'm not sure when I would have that many more sold to justify that.
When I get them then I will ask for payment, and see who commits.
What I had to consider just so you know.
Cost of bushing plus shipping to me.
I found that if I cut them they will fit a free small flat rate USPS priority mail box and is cheaper than parcel post.
so I will use some of my heavy kraft paper I pack the skids with so they will pass the rattle test
I don't trust the peel and stick seal on these boxes so I will use some nylon reinforced tape
still not sure if there is a paypal fee on this price still looking for that minimum
Besides cutting them and some discs for that and packing them up
I have to claim the income thru my business to be legit and pay Obama and the IRS there share and local government and state taxes.
Small businesses are getting hammered.
Anyway another Hunner mod is available in a few weeks.

The Problem (click this one for video)

7424-1.jpg

9934.jpg

DAH_9926.jpg

The Solution;
2430_resize.jpg

8152A_resize.jpg

_DSC8153_resize.jpg

9943.jpg

Ultimate solution
_DSC8158.jpg

Extra protection
fx7891.jpg

Last edited:

Hunner

Only if supplied with pizza and beer, AFTER. Limited to 1500 mile radius of Arkansas and only to a select few.:giggle:

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
That is so cool you are going to make these. I always believed that this was the definite weak link of the H3. It's like Ridge Demon's plates. Anyone with an H3 that wheels should have it.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
The steering gear flexes too much when off-roading, this helps to reduce that flex and save your gear from breaking. Toyota has the same problem with their rack and pinion steering gear assembly on their small trucks.

Hunner

I think just the sleeve at the end is probably enough. I went all out on my 06 when I was wheeling hard and most weekends at Superlift. I wanted to try all of those things and prevent the rack from breaking.
I will try to consolidate more info here later now that I have a place for it.
The drivers side is mounted with two bolts and is secure with those isolater bushings giving some wiggle room. Probably prevents stress on the rack and jolts to the steering wheel.
So the flex at the other end gets to be more when the bushing wears and puts leverage on the other end separating the Mondo South Korean steel black tube from the aluminum housing where it was attached. That also breaks the smaller pipe (hydraulic line) and all your power steering fluid will run out as you try to steer with the rack moving instead of the tie rods. That will burn up the pump. If the tie rods did not break first they will probably now. Fix it now or fix all of that later.
closeup.jpg

Potmetal.jpg

Last edited:

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
I got one of these sleeves from Hunner & will be doing my fix the next time the bushing wears out. Mine is cut and ready to go!

Hunner is it possible to put the sleeve on without removing the rack?
If not Hunner, could you come to Arizona and help me install mine? ...just kidding...kind of! :shifty:

Did Mutaint ever put his on his rig?

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Hunner, I'll make it easy on you - you can do Bigunit's and mine at the same time! Excited that you're making these available.

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Still have not worn out a gear bushing yet, but I'm going to try like hell to get it replaced sometime next January. Got the Chevy tech to replace my front diff support when it didn't need replacing last month.:shame:

Hunner

Well I guess I oversimpified the bushing. I just thought everyone would go down to the local John Deere store or hydraulic shop and stickitinthere.
I can special order some and will cut them for those that might not can do that. It takes a thin blade grinder disk and lots of sparks cause it is a wear bearing of sorts and is real damn hard!
I could come to Arizona or we could line them up in Moab at the wood pile. ha ha but it would be so satisfying for you to do it yourself. lol I could hold your beer and mine and tell you how and give moral support.
No the rack stays in place and you could try to put it in without completely removing the bracket but I was doing lots of looking and studying how all that went together so I took the bracket off. I did cut off the bottom tab because I got tired of fiddling with it. I will find a post I had about that. The top bolt is well, @@##$$%&** to get all the way out. I will pop in here with that in a bit, I'm working on a project in the shop but I saw all this posts going ding ding and wondered what was going on with all this new interest in Crazy Dave's mod??
Oh and Mutaint is waiting on the odometer to spin a little more.

Last edited:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Im definitely gonna order one from you. Great products from a great guy who brings it upon himself to make parts due to lack of aftermarket. Now I just need a hunner xtreme products sticker!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Hunner

Ha ha I never even thought about stickers just some mods that sooner of later most people will need. Hmm wonder if I should get a Hunner Hummer girl contest going?? Nah, I probably could not post it on here anyway.
I will have a very limited few items and a very limited market going forward but like to be involved and help Hummer owners get what we cannot find other places.

Last edited:

Hunner

I will try to order 10 on Monday. I will attempt to keep them priced like the others I have sold. I will charge a "handling fee" as we often see but there will be NO HUMMER tax!
I got to handle them, right? It's dangerous work too.
This is some hard stuff, destroyed this disc!!
DAH_2271.jpg

Last edited:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I can cut that up...I have an angle grinder with some disks like yours, if you wanna do it though go ahead :)

Paladine71

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Ha ha I never even thought about stickers just some mods that sooner of later most people will need. Hmm wonder if I should get a Hunner Hummer girl contest going?? Nah, I probably could not post it on here anyway.
I will have a very limited few items and a very limited market going forward but like to be involved and help Hummer owners get what we cannot find other places.

We already started those threads in the NSFW section. I've been studying the competition too.... I vote that we have more than one winner.

I'd be interested in this product as well.

Hunner

I will go thru here and get an idea of how many to order and throw in a few extra. The place I order from has to meet a minimum order of other products from the place that makes them before they order but usually is fairly often. That gets us in on the minimum so I don't have to order a 144 or something stupid. ha

Hunner

News flash. Besides all the time spent at the fabrication shop,
I contacted the manufacturer of wear sleeve bushings direct and told him my specifications. I set up an account thru my business and told them I would want 20 if that would be a big enough order. We are working on payment method and after receiving my PO he said production would take about 3 weeks. Cut out the middle guy, well except for me.
I have to work out some other details for certain on shipping before I can announce a price but it's looking better.