• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

HUNNER EXtreme Steering Rack Sleeves

Hunner

Thanks for following up on that install.
I replied to some of that in the other thread. I can't seem to find short bolts so on mine I will just grind them down for now. You might do that if you think there is a clearance problem with the diff. I don't know if the diff can move forward or not. I think leaving a few threads showing will insure they got the sleeve tight before the head contacts the bracket.
With three of these in service we will see what happens. I pushed mine today out and about with some repeated uneven hill climbs and river bank exploration. I ran with the front splash plate off so I could check it after running up and down some of these places several times and it's holding. Going up the hill I think I got air a couple of times. I will set up my remote trigger on camera next time.
DAH_7592_zpsd1e0874b.jpg

You can see how uneven this place is by how the rear looks. I ran both ways several times subjecting the front end to this kind of uneven ground to try to flex things. It was tough getting out to shoot the pictures at this angle.
It was so slick a couple of times even with the E brake set I just slid down the hill lol
DAH_7594_zps6d35583b.jpg

Last edited:

Hunner

It might be a good idea to check the added bolts on the bracket to see if they stayed tight on the sleeve. I want to check mine but I keep having to go do stuff.
Maybe tomorrow afternoon. If I hear them or feel the thread locker break I may re coat and re-tighten. I just want to see if some force may have loosened them.

rsm688

So these mount with no rubber at all, they just go in place of where the factory rubber bushing was? If so is there any more vibration/road feel transmitted through the front end since there is no rubber to dampen it?

Hunner

I have not heard of anyone "feeling" any more road feel transmitted up the steering shaft. What you will feel if you have a blown out rubber bushing is more positive re-action when you turn the wheel.

It is a truck after all.
I don't think I have anymore.

5gn-h3t

I used Hunner's rack bushing and didn't notice any more NVH. It worked very well. I got curious and took it a big step further. I replaced it with a billet aluminum mount that I made. I also replaced the rubber bushings on the other side of the rack with solid aluminum ones. At most, I have very, very little increase in NVH. It did make a huge improvement in the steering feel and handling.