• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

HUNNER EXtreme SKIDS

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Hunner, if/when available, I would like to order a set of the front skids only. Come to think of it, I think that will be the 4th set I order from you. That's a testament to the quality of your product. Again, thanks for making these for us.

H3Hrly

Hunner, does the design change based on shock type? I currently have OEM but will most likely upgrade next year when info the Ranch lift. Excuse my ignorance.

Hunner

Yes, but both will fit. When I got my Bilstein I realized the larger bottom eye was hitting the skid. It's not much but enough you can see wear on the skid. Since to me one of the most important features of this "skid" is to protect the lower shock mount and the bolt from damage I want to make them to allow the skid to fit flush with the spring plate but not touch the shock. The shock should not be any lower than the skid in my opinion, if so what's the point of the skid design? If the eye is scraping it will only be a matter of time before that is either ground off or takes direct hit from a rock from scraping over rock shelves.
Actually the last big batch was made with the rear bend starting further back. They had been for some reason adding a second bend.
Now it stays flat past the first bend and then goes up at 70 degrees. This also makes the rear upper edge a bit shorter under the springs.
DAH_2333.jpg

This first damaged spring plate is not mine but been around awhile. It shows how a "skid" will work better than the oem or any flat plate with a front vertical edge, to avoid blunt force trauma and allow the vehicle to slide over this area. Yeah, you lose 1/4 inch clearance but it saves the shock.
bentspringplate.jpg

This is my first test of the skids, it also shows that the oem plate with skid added can help prevent damage to the tank skid by supporting the rear as it comes down off of rocks. In my case without the shock skid the tank skid rear edge will take more hits until a mounting tab breaks off, then the welded on balance weight on my drive shaft knocked on the tank skid and sounded like a broken axle. I went home and made the skids.
_DSC3582_resize.jpg

DAH_4735.jpg

Here is an example of another brand skid that is not wide enough.
Bdesign.jpg

and what happens without the front ones
_DSC2862_resize-1.jpg

DAH_5594.jpg

Last edited:

H3Hrly

Hunner, great feedback!! Thank you. Pictures indeed are worth a 1,000 words. To recap, these will fit for OEM setup, & Rancho lift. I'll be on hot standby to shoot you $$ when you say "fire". Looking forward to extra protection these will provide.

Hunner

The only time there was a question about the Rancho was the saggy springs they supply may arch down more at the front. I had a couple of people concerned about the clearance up there. I cut one set for somebody a little shorter.
It is just something you will have to watch or I could cut a set of the front if you think they need it. I will have to go back and find all that info.
DAH_3179.jpg

Hunner

Just an update I had a call about two places the other day and they said they had a government contract that was a priority one level of acceptance and so they had to stay on that. They make armor for MRaps.
Just today I had a friend call that knew I was still looking for other sources and knows of two places he does business with that said they might be interested.
As it stands now I got the .dxf file from the old place to save time and money for the other place to use on their CNC.
I will go with these guys if they get me a sample next week.
Another place after a month has not come thru. How do these guys do business?
I am trying to refresh the list so I will be ready to send out notifitcation and see if I should contract for more.
I will still need a payment to get going but that will allow me to get some extra.
In no particular order and I have to double check emails and pm's to confirm

mark134
lchase
cddutt
remi700
hellowmynameis
H3hrly
Alpha of Jonesy
Big Unit (fronts)

if you are not on here or don't want them please help me with this and let me know.

Last edited:

Hunner

Yeah I got you on another page I see it now. I was having to swap to another page to list current requests.
Thanks

Hunner

Current list
mark134
lchase
cddutt
remi700
hellowmynameis
H3hrly
Alpha of Jonesy
Ed's06H3

Last edited:

Hunner

This will be a generic update on the skids.
Today was another bizarre day in steel fabrication. I love a good story, as most know by now.
One place starting three weeks ago, finally called today that a set was ready.
It appears they found some scrap that had a nice protective coating of rust.
Well they used the 1/4 for the brackets instead of 3/16 and one bracket was welded crooked because they did not cut the index slot and the tab on the bracket like I asked. Then they did not start the rear bend 1" further back to fit larger shock eyes. Duh?
They did not make the front ones at all so I could see how the multiple bends would look since they don't have a die for that.
So they basically get an incomplete! I don't trust them to make 120+ pieces that may or may not be consistant and fit.

15 minutes later the place that has had the plans for 6 weeks calls and says they are ready. Other than it got left off to radius cut the turned up edge on the front ones they look good.
They changed the plans while I was there.
They were cut on a plasma water table so appear to have been coated in heated water and got cutting residue, sort of oily on them. I can tell the edges are not as clean cut as the laser but after all we are going to go bash them on rocks! I will knock off any burrs.
I will still have to media blast them so you can get paint to stick if you want to paint yours in your favorite color.
I will wait until it cools off this weekend to install mine. It's 105 heat index now and my shop air packed it up. We are expecting 80's this weekend.
I will try to post up some pictures in a bit.

Last edited:

Hunner

SO, now would be the time to paypal me $215 which includes shipping if you want to get in on these at this price. I had to go with a higher bid to get the quality I wanted but I will keep the projected new price the same. If I get another batch I was told we would have to re-negotiate.
I have a edge with these guys thru a long time friend that is a relative of theirs. (good buddy deal) or I don't think they would mess with this little job.

1secondwind@comcast.net

I will order enough for the listed names and some extra when I have enough money collected.
Depending on their schedule at that time, a guesstimate was two weeks delivery but could vary.
Sorry I can't be like the big guys and continue to speculate with thousands of dollars. (I'm not better off than I was four years ago)
If you are not on the list I posted let me know. I have a paper list here that I am checking over, again.
Whew!!

Last edited:

Hunner

What ever that black coating is after cutting is tougher than I thought. They said it was water spraying up out of the tank after getting heated.
I need to change some filters and hook up my big compressor and hit them again. I want to get in those tight spots good so paint will stick.
They are going to be keepers.
This shot is the set that the fronts did not get a radius cut. I got somebody in mind that wants fronts and I will cut them.
7073.jpg

Hunner

Please add your forum and screen name to any orders as that is the best way for me to keep track of these.
Also check your Paypal account for your current address.
Oh and do not "gift" me, paypal knows this is a business by the volume of sales.
Thanks

Last edited:

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
This shot is the set that the fronts did not get a radius cut. I got somebody in mind that wants fronts and I will cut them.
7073.jpg

Hunner,
Hoping you remembered to include a set of front skids for me in this order. :sigh: If not. no worries, I can wait.

Hunner

Yea but thanks for checking on me. I have not completely transposed all my written list to the posts yet.
There were a bunch ordered last night and I have not had time to add them.
I plan to order 10 pairs of just fronts while I have this fabricator interested.
I was going to go ahead and radius cut this pair but I think I will wait on some that are already cut so I will have a pattern here at the shop, and I can tell it is by the sharp corners.
I let my last set go and it took some time to get them to understand what it needed to look like from my cardboard pattern!

I have to make about my 10th trip over this morning to the first place and give them a chance to make a set, right. I don't want to burn any bridges as these guys are a small shop and are also willing to work on making some of those large over the spare racks like I have. Nobody else wanted to mess with it.

Last edited:

Hunner

If you are not on here or don't want them please help me with this and let me know.
Some of these are paid and I will update that later.

mark134?
lchase
cddutt?
remi700
hellomynameis ?
H3hrly
Alpha of Jonesy
Big Unit (fronts)
ED's06h3
Falcon

I will try to keep this current

Last edited:

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Hunner, how much do I need to send you for the set of the front skids.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapataint.

Hunner

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on these. I go in Monday to have them tweak a few things. When I get another set and get it installed I will post up my findings.
The more I can get ordered the more leverage I have on them to get going. I have already locked in the price. So anyone else that has not ordered help us out, as a group. This is the time to do it.
I still have not heard back from some people from months ago. I found out some had sold the H3's, shame!
I guess the rest don't hang out much on the forum anymore, lost souls?
Thanks for those that ordered and paid. That will allow me to kick in some boot and get this going.
Dave Hunter aka Hunner
keep on Hummin!
6x8nostick.jpg

Hunner

lol Falcon, that could be because of the time warp shift between here and there!
I just checked my "international" inbox and sent you a pm on the shipping.
I will stick you on the list.